Shooting in a mosque in NZ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not surprised at all that the usual suspects are subtly playing down what can only be described as an act of grotesque evil motivated directly by hateful and extremist ideologies.

Make no mistake about it, those who are refusing to put far right hatred on the same level or reality as Jihadist terrorism are in a state of denial. It is as if one can be played down "just an individual" yet the other is somehow a pathology and threat we have to exclusively take seriously.

Absolutely not. This was ideologically motivated terrorism and in the past couple of years in western countries attacks of this nature have in fact been more common and more deadly than Jihadist ones.

Far right terrorism is real, it is rising and people are playing it down. Shame on them.

Great post.

You've also got to remember Trump should be held to a much higher standard than someone like TR or anyone else for that matter. He's the president of the United States.

This is where you are going wrong, Trum
Whenever something like this happens everybody looks for someone or something to blame. Religion, politics, computer games, films, Trump, Brexit, the internet, whatever. At the end of the day this attack was carried out by a group of sick evil individuals intent on killing innocent people.

Tommy Robinson hasn't killed anyone. It's perfectly acceptable to dislike Islam or want closed borders. I may not agree with his views, but he's within his rights to have them. Putting Tommy the Tit and this act of terrorism in the same boat is ridiculous. Have a f***ing word with yourself man.

I didnt, I said people like TR and their hate speak inspire this kind of thing, we know this to be true as the bloke from Wales who drove into innocent worshipers at Finsbury Park mosque had been watching his extremist videos just before he carried out his attack. TR is no different to scum like Choudry, they should all be locked up as the stuff they says results in tragedies like this happening, they radicalise people. Robinson is fully aware that what he says will lead some individuals to carry out violent attacks and he continues to say it, take from that what you will.

I woke up and saw the news and searched Twitter and the video was there as the first search result. Absolutely horrible. I don't think report much but I have reported that.

There are dickheads of all colours and creeds and its absolutely pathetic (but not surprising) to see how people and the media slap a label of terrorist/terrorism on one set of people so quickly yet have refused to have done it when it is the other set of people, like this case, with a lot more evidence already available.

Spot on.

There will be more to come out about this I'm sure.

This is the end result of what happens when hysteria takes hold and tensions are wound tighter than a piano string.
It's what happens when an entire section of the community are demonised as following an evil ideology.
These terrorists were acting out of patriotism.
These terrorists felt justified.
There terrorists felt that their actions were logical.
It was an attack designed to inspire others to follow them. Other patriots.

It's what can happen. It's what happens.

But fuck it. Let's just wind that piano string a couple of notches tighter.

This is the end result of what happens when hysteria takes hold and tensions are wound tighter than a piano string.
It's what happens when an entire section of the community are demonised as following an evil ideology.
These terrorists were acting out of patriotism.
These terrorists felt justified.
There terrorists felt that their actions were logical.
It was an attack designed to inspire others to follow them. Other patriots.

It's what can happen. It's what happens.

But fuck it. Let's just wind that piano string a couple of notches tighter.

According to the radio he has actually said this on his website, he wants to inspire others to do the same.

You've also got to remember Trump should be held to a much higher standard than someone like TR or anyone else for that matter. He's the president of the United States.
He's not though is he? His supporters never hold him to account, and actively support this stance. What worries me is that TR is a big Trump supporter, and has a lot of influence over here. I never see his supporters calling out Trump's comments in support of violence. FFS, yesterday he threatened his political opponents with violence if he didn't get his own way.

Firstly, I'm horrified at this dreadful terrorist massacre, and thoughts are with the victims, their loved ones, and the city of Christchurch as they grieve, and face the prospect of trying to rebuild their shattered community.

As for the rest of it - the internet basically - I'm fed up. The Daily Mail has used some of the video - of him getting his guns out and approaching the mosque. I assume they haven't used more, I didn't click beyond the first page. Hey, internet: don't use the video, don't quote awful Australian senators, don't default to lowest common denominator. If the internet was a shop it would be closed down for the day as a mark of respect.
Sadly the analogy of the internet as a shop only works one way - clicks = $$$

That's patricularly obvious today although id have thought more would be done to support our Australian cousins

Were desensitised to brownie deaths mate. That's why we don't get a mass pouring of sympathy and facey b profile pic changes. Plus what's evidently clear is only brown people can be terrorists. Cos most of the media outlets I've seen haven't been calling it that.

Whenever something like this happens everybody looks for someone or something to blame. Religion, politics, computer games, films, Trump, Brexit, the internet, whatever. At the end of the day this attack was carried out by a group of sick evil individuals intent on killing innocent people.

Tommy Robinson hasn't killed anyone. It's perfectly acceptable to dislike Islam or want closed borders. I may not agree with his views, but he's within his rights to have them. Putting Tommy the Tit and this act of terrorism in the same boat is ridiculous. Have a f***ing word with yourself man.

It's clearly idealogically driven.

If they were communists or militant jihadis, they'd be considered a terror cell and should be viewed in the same way imo. That means casting a wide net to uncover and root out similar conspiracies.

This is where you are going wrong, Trum

I didnt, I said people like TR and their hate speak inspire this kind of thing, we know this to be true as the bloke from Wales who drove into innocent worshipers at Finsbury Park mosque had been watching his extremist videos just before he carried out his attack. TR is no different to scum like Choudry, they should all be locked up as the stuff they says results in tragedies like this happening, they radicalise people. Robinson is fully aware that what he says will lead some individuals to carry out violent attacks and he continues to say it, take from that what you will.
Well you're lacking facts on the matter.

TR is nothing like Anjem Choudary. And he's not an extremist.

When I was growing up I played the Speccy games like Op Wolf, International Karate, Renegade etc. I watched most of the late 80's Schwarzenneger and suchlike films repeatedly. Most of my toys growing up were Action Force, where they had all kinds of weapons.

I've never thrown so much of a punch at another person in my life.

Violent content has always been there.
Agreed, but games these days are different, they aren’t playing on an 8bit 4 colour game. Hyper realistic, hyper addictive, human players killing human players. Death is rewarded and praised. They even call them ‘death matches’, it’s providing the basic training to carry out tragedies like today or school shootings.

He's not though is he? His supporters never hold him to account, and actively support this stance. What worries me is that TR is a big Trump supporter, and has a lot of influence over here. I never see his supporters calling out Trump's comments in support of violence. FFS, yesterday he threatened his political opponents with violence if he didn't get his own way.
I don't conflate supporters with the people they support. When you have millions following you, you can find enough people to validate any point.

However I agree TR's thoughts on Trump are something I profoundly disagree with him on. I think he's incredibly naive in his support of Trump. At the same time he's not the brightest bloke anyway, he's very conflicted on a lot of the things he says and does.

All I'm saying is that he's not an extremist, he's never told anyone to commit murder. In fact in his oxford speech he warned about "so called" retaliation attacks and how to stop them years before the finsbury attack and he was wrongly accused of having caused/inspired it in the media.

If Tommy Robinson was the worst problem the world had it would be a very peaceful place. But there are people far far far worse then him in Islam and far right alike. And he should not be conflated with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back