Shipyard Girls....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot I bought this and found it on my Kindle app recently. Just finished it and it was a decent read. Nicely written, good story and I loved the descriptions of the local area.

Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone is looking for a mother's day present.

....new book by local author Nancy Revell, nice little stocking filler for the ladies or the lady in your life (I got an advanced copy and it's very good actually!) Its about the lives of the women who worked in the Sunderland yards while the men were off fighting in WWll and is very well researched, anyway the writer is in Waterstones in the Bridges tomorrow between 12 and 1pm (she's also a total wad!) so get a signed copy on the way to the match, she'll appreciate it ;)

Sounds like a riveting read.

If or when I have time I will look at some of the Sunderland heritage sites and maybe upload some of the documents that my uncle has collated.

it's good that people are preserving the coal mining and ship building heritage, there must be loads of stuff that your dad had kept. I can't even remember thatcher visiting but fair play to him for being a gentleman towards her.

Mate, when I think about it I'm really proud of my ancestors. My paternal grandad was quite an intelligent bloke even without an advanced education and was a joiner in the NCB. He was even more stubborn and argumentative than the commie and my hewer grandad from my mam's side of the family.

and rightly so. It is when we forget about our ancestors and how they suffered then we go wrong. I say suffered. Life was not easy and they were guaranteed nothing, but they got on with it, it was hard, but they all seemed to have enjoyed life with its school of hard knocks. as for the joiner. was he not a timber technician at the solid fuel extraction plant ;)

Forgot I bought this and found it on my Kindle app recently. Just finished it and it was a decent read. Nicely written, good story and I loved the descriptions of the local area.

Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone is looking for a mother's day present.
Nice one @becs and perfect timing! The second part of the trilogy is actually available tomorrow, pleased you enjoyed it, not my thing usually but I read it for the local history angle, honest!

Nice one @becs and perfect timing! The second part of the trilogy is actually available tomorrow, pleased you enjoyed it, not my thing usually but I read it for the local history angle, honest!
I seem to recall them pushing a fair few copies in Sea Road post office with the implication that she lived round here. Unfortunately, I am usually oblivious to people so can't claim a celebrity spot.

What's the second book called? Expecting some expected replies.

There was a tv prog about the yards and some blokes and woman from NE were interviewed. They told how they had different signals for different rivet sizes. The woman would pick up hot rivets with pincers and hoy them to the 'banger inner' who whacked it with a big hammer.

Interesting that in WW2 the USA employed women in shipyards who handled welding a lot easier than riveting.

Pervert

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Interview here

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/books/nancy-revell-the-shipyard-girls-990301.html
Looks like a sanatic hairdresser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back