Shipyard Girls....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Galahad

Striker
....new book by local author Nancy Revell, nice little stocking filler for the ladies or the lady in your life (I got an advanced copy and it's very good actually!) Its about the lives of the women who worked in the Sunderland yards while the men were off fighting in WWll and is very well researched, anyway the writer is in Waterstones in the Bridges tomorrow between 12 and 1pm (she's also a total wad!) so get a signed copy on the way to the match, she'll appreciate it ;)

....new book by local author Nancy Revell, nice little stocking filler for the ladies or the lady in your life (I got an advanced copy and it's very good actually!) Its about the lives of the women who worked in the Sunderland yards while the men were off fighting in WWll and is very well researched, anyway the writer is in Waterstones in the Bridges tomorrow between 12 and 1pm (she's also a total wad!) so get a signed copy on the way to the match, she'll appreciate it ;)

Pics FFS

There was a tv prog about the yards and some blokes and woman from NE were interviewed. They told how they had different signals for different rivet sizes. The woman would pick up hot rivets with pincers and hoy them to the 'banger inner' who whacked it with a big hammer.

Interesting that in WW2 the USA employed women in shipyards who handled welding a lot easier than riveting.

Pervert

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Interview here

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/books/nancy-revell-the-shipyard-girls-990301.html

Last edited:
My great great grandad was the boilermaker Union secretary on the wear yards. I uphold the family tradition by wearing heels, holdups, tight skirt and white blouse.
my Grandad was a top union fella as well. Went down to meet the king in his day.

there is a Facebook group on Sunderland memories and someone posted YouTube links and there was me grandad doing a bit welding.

it was my dads funeral today and there was a few old union geezers there. I'm meeting
Tony Carty down lynas house GMB hq next week.

when I was not allowed in the yards, my dad took all his long service awards and slung them at the gaffers in offices.

would not surprise me, if my dad knew yours. He was jimmy cartwright, and was known as a bit of a red and union man

I bought him a framed picture of the tolpuddle martyrs so you get the idea from that

my Grandad was a top union fella as well. Went down to meet the king in his day.

there is a Facebook group on Sunderland memories and someone posted YouTube links and there was me grandad doing a bit welding.

it was my dads funeral today and there was a few old union geezers there. I'm meeting
Tony Carty down lynas house GMB hq next week.

when I was not allowed in the yards, my dad took all his long service awards and slung them at the gaffers in offices.

would not surprise me, if my dad knew yours. He was jimmy cartwright, and was known as a bit of a red and union man

I bought him a framed picture of the tolpuddle martyrs so you get the idea from that
I sincerely hope that the day went as well as it could have.

Which Union was your grandad in? I know that some of my family are in a book called southwick on wear but I don't have a copy.

My grandad was born in southwick in 1909 and moved to houghton as a kid. It was his grandad who was a big cheese in the union and he died in 1940, we have the announcement and he was involved in loads of charities and organisations.

I'll ask my dad if he has heard of yours but he left Sunderland in 1961 when he transferred from SAFC to Lincoln city. The only other big trade unionist I know is my mam's communist cousin who worked at Herrington colliery. My maternal grandad was NUM from age 13 or 14 and was a great character.

Which Union was your grandad in? I know that some of my family are in a book called southwick on wear but I don't have a copy.

My grandad was born in southwick in 1909 and moved to houghton as a kid. It was his grandad who was a big cheese in the union and he died in 1940, we have the announcement and he was involved in loads of charities and organisations.

I'll ask my dad if he has heard of yours but he left Sunderland in 1961 when he transferred from SAFC to Lincoln city. The only other big trade unionist I know is my mam's communist cousin who worked at Herrington colliery. My maternal grandad was NUM from age 13 or 14 and was a great character.
Nee wonder you're such a militant fucker on here with that background ! :lol:

it was a really good day and it would have pleased my dad.

straight after my dads service, next in the crem, a right squadron of bikers turned up for one of their group.

one fella, about mid 60s, tattooed across the forehead 666. Amazing sight.

I will get back to you on my Grandad, he helped set an orginal union up but I need to check for its name.

he was jimmy cartwright as well and I have little doubt he knew your great Grandad.

there's an old vhs tape at my dads of a ch4 documentary made around the time the yards were closing. Loads of his contemporaries were interviewed. Saw a few of them today with their GMB ties on

some great stories I have heard over the years and I have no shame whatsoever and proud to say my dad gave Maggie thatcher a nice welcome on her one visit.

one last thing, we still have a cheque he was sent, during a strike, for 10p from the tory government of its day to and I quote, "to help look after your family"

cheers Mr heath

My old man was union secretary at hylton colliery in the 70's , unfortunately he was also an arsehole ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back