Shipbuilding on the Wear, help needed with terminology .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was rumble a shipbuilding term ?

It all becomes clear now

Benkas were gid big ball bearings that used to smash glass allies (marbles) to bits;)
We used that's term to describe ball bearings in school in Corbridge back in the 70s. Used them to play with marbles. They knocked everything out of the way.

As for Che, never heard anybody use that term I'm afraid.

Che is proper townie Mackem for mate .

Marra is from the fringes of the town ,ryhope,silky,seaham ,Hetton,Houghton etc .
I can safely say your not from Suddick,Barbary coast,East end etc .
The family's from the East End and Hendon but migrated to Grangetown!!
There was loads of pitmen around when I was growing up.
I've still nivver heard of che!

The family's from the East End and Hendon but migrated to Grangetown!!
There was loads of pitmen around when I was growing up.
I've still nivver heard of che!
I guessed grangetown.

I think it was more the rougher parts of town /lads who used che .

We used that's term to describe ball bearings in school in Corbridge back in the 70s. Used them to play with marbles. They knocked everything out of the way.

As for Che, never heard anybody use that term I'm afraid.

This is an integral part of the song I'm writing and a reason these expressions & words shouldn't be lost.

I'd never heard the word 'ket' until 2 years back so it must be a Sunderland thing, or coastal pit talk.

We always used 'bullets' or just sweets.

As people move around the NE, for work etc, it's becoming increasingly vague where these things originated.

When I was a kid we could identify people's accents from just a few miles away.

I guessed grangetown.

I think it was more the rougher parts of town /lads who used che .

No offence but I suspect it might have a Gypsy origin ..... some of the local words like 'Charver' have that.

This is an integral part of the song I'm writing and a reason these expressions & words shouldn't be lost.

I'd never heard the word 'ket' until 2 years back so it must be a Sunderland thing, or coastal pit talk.

As people move around the NE, for work etc, it's becoming increasingly vague where these things originated.

No offence but I suspect it might have a Gypsy origin ..... some of the local words like 'Charver' have that.
No offence taken ,its had to come from somewhere like che.

Gypsy is as good as owt .

Ket was again another word that was used by us back in the 1970s along the Tyne Valley. I always thought Kettes made those boiled sweets you got in the big plastic jars, which took over from the glass ones. It might also be that Corbridge was a pit retirement village, or so someone told me years ago, and so had lots of words and phrases from people from the various mining communities of the North East.

Canny thread though, a nice trip down memory lane.

Ket was again another word that was used by us back in the 1970s along the Tyne Valley. I always thought Kettes made those boiled sweets you got in the big plastic jars, which took over from the glass ones. It might also be that Corbridge was a pit retirement village, or so someone told me years ago, and so had lots of words and phrases from people from the various mining communities of the North East.

I remember mam giving gramma grief for giving the bairns ket(me and me brother) in about 1958 in covent garden (No not London, one of the garths)
another trip down memory lane.:)

I wasn't really doubting it. I grew up drinking with a few lads who worked in the yards and I honestly can't remember them using the phrase although I can remember them using 'Marra'. I'm probably not a good reference point but I can't even remember hearing anyone using 'Cher' out and about.

On another thread you said you were from round ours but a few years older than me?
I remember my brother (born 1960) saying 'aareet chuh?' problies around the mid seventies but honestly don't think it was common, certainly not among kids my age. I was friends with a lass at college who was from Blackburn and was fascinated by my accent and I used to say 'aareet chuh?' (Or 'pet') to her but by then I was likely in a minority of one!

'Marra' was in common usage by the early eighties so the lad above is talking bollocks about that!

My English teacher told me 'ket' was an old Norse word from the Viking days meaning trash (like the penny chew type kets) but @tiptoad on here is the linguistic expert and IIRC he said most of our dialect words are more likely oldmSaxon rather than Norse. Anyway 'kets' was in very common usage throughout my time in the NE.

Last edited:
If anyone suggests 'Marra' they are talking rubbish.Its a pity hacker terminology that's somehow crept into the Sunderland dialect over the last 20 odd years.Embarrassing when you hear someone from the barbary coast say it for
Example .

Che is/was the townie equivalent.
I thought Che was South American slang meaning mate/friend.

On another thread you said you were from round ours but a few years older than me?
I remember my brother (born 1960) saying 'aareet chuh?' problies around the mid seventies but honestly don't think it was common, certainly not among kids my age. I was friends with a lass at college who was from Blackburn and was fascinated by my accent and I used to say 'aareet chuh?' (Or 'pet') to her but by then I was likely in a minority of one!

'Marra' was in common usage by the early eighties so the lad above is talking bollocks about that!

My English teacher told me 'ket' was an old Norse word from the Viking days meaning trash (like the penny chew type kets) but @tiptoad on here is the linguistic expert and IIRC he said most of our dialect words are more likely oldmSaxon rather than Norse. Anyway 'kets' was in very common usage throughout my time in the NE.
Ket, Gadgie and Hellish all words used by me as a youngster living in the mining village of Chilton .....around 20 miles south of Durham.
I always though Ket originated from the Scandinavians.

Bulls knacker ........a tacker
Arse end.........after end
Pointy bit......fore end
DBees ....double bottoms
Bulkheeed .......Bulkhead
Big Buggas ...........Big ships built at J L Thompsons
Cod Heed .....Any body who was a bit slow in the head
Iron eater ......hard working steel man
Iron melter ....a steel burner
Swine sider ..........anybody working on the wear from newcastle
Sylvest or sylvester, dogs, bridges , jacks .......fairing aids for pushing pulling/ steel into shape

I'll think of some more later as im busy building ships atm :cool:

Last edited:

Because Old Norse and Anglo-Saxon have the same origins it's probably quite difficult to pick apart.

One thing @tiptoad does mention often though is that if you look at placenames - the traditional Norse place suffix of '-by' basically stops at the Tees, which suggests they never really settled or had much influence North of it. So probably didn't have that much influence on our dialect.

Certainly, most Norse loan words we use are common to all modern English speakers - skirt etc'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back