Shipbuilding on the Wear, help needed with terminology .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reiver

Winger
....... from the old days.

I'm currently writing a song, for a well known NE 'folk group' on the theme of shipbuilding on the Wear.

I'm from Durham and, to be honest, the Sunderland accent & terminology, is very different ..... especially from the old days.
I'm sure local people know that the NE has a wide variety of accents whereas 'outsiders' think anywhere between Darlington & Ashington sounds the same.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

The heritage of those days is to be treasured, imo, and I'm hoping for some interesting suggestions.

I'm from the yards but I don't really understand what you're looking for. Accents in the yards were no different to any other job in the area.

....... from the old days.

I'm currently writing a song, for a well known NE 'folk group' on the theme of shipbuilding on the Wear.

I'm from Durham and, to be honest, the Sunderland accent & terminology, is very different ..... especially from the old days.
I'm sure local people know that the NE has a wide variety of accents whereas 'outsiders' think anywhere between Darlington & Ashington sounds the same.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

The heritage of those days is to be treasured, imo, and I'm hoping for some interesting suggestions.
If anyone suggests 'Marra' they are talking rubbish.Its a pity hacker terminology that's somehow crept into the Sunderland dialect over the last 20 odd years.Embarrassing when you hear someone from the barbary coast say it for
Example .

Che is/was the townie equivalent.

I'm from the yards but I don't really understand what you're looking for. Accents in the yards were no different to any other job in the area.

It's not specifically the accent, more the terminology tbh.

But, as I've said my accent and vocabulary, is different to Sunderland lads I know.

If anyone suggests 'Marra' they are talking rubbish.Its a pity hacker terminology that's somehow crept into the Sunderland dialect over the last 20 odd years.Embarrassing when you hear someone from the barbary coast say it for
Example .

Che is/was the townie equivalent.

We never ever used 'marra' and it was only when we moved to the East Midlands, in the late 60's, that I heard people from the Ashington area using it.

But, as I've said my accent and vocabulary, is different to Sunderland lads I know.
Are you on Facebook ? Friends of Austin and pickersgill is a group on there ,151 members,ask on there,sure they'll help.Have to join the group first

xd2
Are you on Facebook ? Friends of Austin and pickersgill is a group on there ,151 members,ask on there,sure they'll help.Have to join the group first

Thanks mate, A&P are a name I know very well even though I'm not from Sunderland.

My extended family were a mixture of miners, Consett Iron Company workers and truck drivers ........ so they all contributed to the production of ships.

It's that link that forms a thread that runs through the song.

I first heard Marra from my old football team manager, he was from Seaham

I recall older blokes calling each other Che

Younger people from Sunderland who address people as 'Che' tend to be bellends trying to impress

:lol:

Shit, this is the first I've heard of it which I'm sure some people will find weird.

How is it pronounced, like Che Guevara?

My Dad would address his mates as 'Geordie' or bonny lad as in 'what fettle bonny lad?'

Last edited:

Ah, well I could talk about dogs,wedges,shores,warricks and pinch bars, working on the stocks or round the float, but it would take a while to tell you what it all meant. Not being awkward mate but it's a big subject really.

xd2

Thanks mate, A&P are a name I know very well even though I'm not from Sunderland.

My extended family were a mixture of miners, Consett Iron Company workers and truck drivers ........ so they all contributed to the production of ships.

Shit, this is the first I've heard of it which I'm sure some people will find weird.

My Dad would address his mates as 'Geordie' or bonny lad as in 'what fettle bonny lad?'
No as Cher,as you read it not as the hit 70/80's solo artist .

xd2

Cherr.

My Dad would address his mates as 'Geordie' or bonny lad as in 'what fettle bonny lad?'[/QUOTE]

Depends who says it is suppose :D

Some say 'Cher' as mentioned above but loads say Che as they way say the word 'The' but with the 'Ch' sound :) this is a bit of a mad conversation...

I meet some town lads, in the Victory before home games, so I'll have to ask them to say 'Che' for me so I can get the sound.

Crackers that I've never heard it, I've supported the Lads 40 bloody years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back