Ship Spotters be aware

Status
Not open for further replies.

When you see the tankers alongside, (which are massive in their own right), you get the perspective. :eek:

Logon or register to see this image

The rig I was on was two Quays over from where that was outfitted and there were other vessels moored in between, however, she still dominated over them. I’ll dig out a photo...

The rig I was on was two Quays over from where that was outfitted and there were other vessels moored in between, however, she still dominated over them. I’ll dig out a photo...

See if this works;

Prelude is in the background with the galv’d flare boom.

Last edited:
All machinery spaces, generator spaces, medical facilities and plant rooms are either fresh air ventilated by total loss systems or its own dedicated system. Passenger spaces and cabins are on air conditioned and recycled air. By blowing off about 25-50% of ac air and topping up with fresh air drawn into the system the air in circulation is freshened up. The main problem with recycling air is the presence of effluvia, which no amount of conditioning or filtration can remove. Effluvia being the stuff, germs and all, we breathe out. All sanitary spaces and laundry facilities are are vented to atmosphere and not recurved. So, with the presence of so many separated dedicated systems I would doubt the findings of that article. I think it found the results they wanted to find.

Why is any air recycled? You'd think that at sea there is an abundance of fresh air available.

Why is any air recycled? You'd think that at sea there is an abundance of fresh air available.
Heating air is expensive and air conditioning is more about controlling humidity than temperature. We northern Europeans are comfortable when humidity is between 45-75% with a temp range of 22-29ºC. Using a constant supply of fresh air means you are dependent on outside temperature air being raised or cooled to within that range with no control over humidity. The size of the plant needed for humidity control would be restrictive on board ship. So once you have the temp right you circulate the air then vent it to atmosphere. That's wasteful and expensive even without controlling the humidity so the more you can recycle the more economical it gets, especially in temp extremes like the antarctic (0ºC, Rh 40%) and the far East (35ºC, Rh 55%). It's all a balance of recircing as much air that has been processed and introducing as little untreated fresh air to maintain the atmosphere in a healthy state for human use as decided by World Health Organisation regs. Obviously 100% recirc is possible but the air very quickly becomes stale and has a reducing oxygen level. Air intake at 25-50% of the system's demand keeps it fresh and healthy for us as well as minimising bacterial growth.
Dry air (humidity low) = sore throat and dry mouth
Wet air (humidity high) = sweaty, uncomfortable, bacteria and mould growth.

So we try to keep the air within 45-75% Rh and the following temps and it's all down to cost, comfort and passenger health.

Missed this off

Last edited:
Heating air is expensive and air conditioning is more about controlling humidity than temperature. We northern Europeans are comfortable when humidity is between 45-75% with a temp range of 22-29ºC. Using a constant supply of fresh air means you are dependent on outside temperature air being raised or cooled to within that range with no control over humidity. The size of the plant needed for humidity control would be restrictive on board ship. So once you have the temp right you circulate the air then vent it to atmosphere. That's wasteful and expensive even without controlling the humidity so the more you can recycle the more economical it gets, especially in temp extremes like the antarctic (0ºC, Rh 40%) and the far East (35ºC, Rh 55%). It's all a balance of recircing as much air that has been processed and introducing as little untreated fresh air to maintain the atmosphere in a healthy state for human use as decided by World Health Organisation regs. Obviously 100% recirc is possible but the air very quickly becomes stale and has a reducing oxygen level. Air intake at 25-50% of the system's demand keeps it fresh and healthy for us as well as minimising bacterial growth.
Dry air (humidity low) = sore throat and dry mouth
Wet air (humidity high) = sweaty, uncomfortable, bacteria and mould growth.

So we try to keep the air within 45-75% Rh and the following temps and it's all down to cost, comfort and passenger health.

Missed this off

Nice comprehensive reply! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back