Ship Spotters be aware

Apparently the air quality for the passengers on these things is horrendous. Rather than having the opportunity to enjoy the sea air for a couple of weeks passengers breath in all the pollutants that are generated by the vessels massive diesel engine. The pollution is worse than Beijing in some cases.
Air on cruise ships as dirty as Beijing's, study claims
All machinery spaces, generator spaces, medical facilities and plant rooms are either fresh air ventilated by total loss systems or its own dedicated system. Passenger spaces and cabins are on air conditioned and recycled air. By blowing off about 25-50% of ac air and topping up with fresh air drawn into the system the air in circulation is freshened up. The main problem with recycling air is the presence of effluvia, which no amount of conditioning or filtration can remove. Effluvia being the stuff, germs and all, we breathe out. All sanitary spaces and laundry facilities are are vented to atmosphere and not recurved. So, with the presence of so many separated dedicated systems I would doubt the findings of that article. I think it found the results they wanted to find.

All machinery spaces, generator spaces, medical facilities and plant rooms are either fresh air ventilated by total loss systems or its own dedicated system. Passenger spaces and cabins are on air conditioned and recycled air. By blowing off about 25-50% of ac air and topping up with fresh air drawn into the system the air in circulation is freshened up. The main problem with recycling air is the presence of effluvia, which no amount of conditioning or filtration can remove. Effluvia being the stuff, germs and all, we breathe out. All sanitary spaces and laundry facilities are are vented to atmosphere and not recurved. So, with the presence of so many separated dedicated systems I would doubt the findings of that article. I think it found the results they wanted to find.

Sounds like you know your shit where AC is concerned.
As you say with outside access/fresh air in abundance article is probably shite.
A submarine on the other hand!

Back