Selling prints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a few more people wanting to buy prints now. Because of this I need to seriously start looking at a way to sell them competitively.

I'm currently digging through a few websites to find out prices. Initially I think I will just offer:

• Wall canvas prints.
  • Poster prints
  • Desk and wall panels.

The formula I was thinking of charging is:

(print cost + p&p to me + cost of copy) * markup% = Total.

E.G., for a 20"x16" Photo canvas @ snapfish:

(£49.99 + £6.99 + £5) * 10% = £68.18

I've not equated the 2nd p&p into that for delivery to the customer.

I initially though that I should get it delivered to them directly from the printers.. but I don't want them to know who I'm using and checking my markup. thoughts on that?

I've never done this before, so I'm looking for advice. Thanks.

Wouldn't have a bloody clue. Wouldn't underestimate the clart on though. i.e. waiting in for a delivery, checking it, driving to your courier, chasing deliveries etc.

Do you have a 500px account hebburn?

I've had a few more people wanting to buy prints now. Because of this I need to seriously start looking at a way to sell them competitively.

I'm currently digging through a few websites to find out prices. Initially I think I will just offer:

• Wall canvas prints.
  • Poster prints
  • Desk and wall panels.

The formula I was thinking of charging is:

(print cost + p&p to me + cost of copy) * markup% = Total.

E.G., for a 20"x16" Photo canvas @ snapfish:

(£49.99 + £6.99 + £5) * 10% = £68.18

I've not equated the 2nd p&p into that for delivery to the customer.

I initially though that I should get it delivered to them directly from the printers.. but I don't want them to know who I'm using and checking my markup. thoughts on that?

I've never done this before, so I'm looking for advice. Thanks.

If I was selling prints and they did that I would let them go buy cheaper prints from lesser photographers. Sorry but you have to value your own work; they will think you're making £90 out of every £100 anyway - that's how consumers work.

10% is fuck all like. Make that piss poor 10% more like 30-50%, you have no room to discount @ 10% should you need to.

I would find a local supplier who will go the extra mile on the quality of their reproductions, who uses decent quality materials - I know this will bump the price up but it will look and feel loads more professional and not identi-kit internet canvases .

Last edited by a moderator:
I use DigitalLab in Newcastle, I would go somewhere like that rather than getting it from photobox etc, big difference in quality I think.

Also agree about the markup, might as well not bother at 10%. If someone is willing to pay £50 for it to be printed then they should pay simile to you for your time and skill.

Wouldn't have a bloody clue. Wouldn't underestimate the clart on though. i.e. waiting in for a delivery, checking it, driving to your courier, chasing deliveries etc.

Do you have a 500px account hebburn?

I do, but I don't use it. I use flickr instead.

you got a website mate ?

after a canvas for the living room like.. possibly two.

yes and no. It's completed but not live. All I have live at the moment is a holding page.

If I was selling prints and they did that I would let them go buy cheaper prints from lesser photographers. Sorry but you have to value your own work; they will think you're making £90 out of every £100 anyway - that's how consumers work.

10% is fuck all like. Make that piss poor 10% more like 30-50%, you have no room to discount @ 10% should you need to.

I would find a local supplier who will go the extra mile on the quality of their reproductions, who uses decent quality materials - I know this will bump the price up but it will look and feel loads more professional and not identi-kit internet canvases .

Thanks. like I said, I'm clueless at the moment.

I use DigitalLab in Newcastle, I would go somewhere like that rather than getting it from photobox etc, big difference in quality I think.

Also agree about the markup, might as well not bother at 10%. If someone is willing to pay £50 for it to be printed then they should pay simile to you for your time and skill.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I need a cheap and dirty and a quality option depending on the situation I think.

:eek: blimey. I thought that too. My last sale, the markup was a lot more than that. I don't sell loads - but I get a feel for what places will pay.

Do you use a markup percentage on the cost to you for printing or a flat amount that you add to it?

Also, what if a client wants a print at a size that is a different w/h ratio to the original? Do you allow them to do that, warning that you will have to crop the image? or only offer prints that are the same ratio.

Charge for cropping?

noob questions I know.. but I need to know this basic printing stuff.

Do you use a markup percentage on the cost to you for printing or a flat amount that you add to it?

Also, what if a client wants a print at a size that is a different w/h ratio to the original? Do you allow them to do that, warning that you will have to crop the image? or only offer prints that are the same ratio.

Charge for cropping?

noob questions I know.. but I need to know this basic printing stuff.

My last sale, the geezer wanted a couple converted to B&W and a square crop too. Sold 10 prints. The sale was to an internal design company, and the images were unframed. I didn't make that much on them - fingers crossed they use me again (still made a considerable markup though 90%ish on print costs).

Single framed prints are where I've made some serious money - that's where a considerable chunk of my 7d came from :cool:

My last sale, the geezer wanted a couple converted to B&W and a square crop too. Sold 10 prints. The sale was to an internal design company, and the images were unframed. I didn't make that much on them - fingers crossed they use me again (still made a considerable markup though 90%ish on print costs).

Single framed prints are where I've made some serious money - that's where a considerable chunk of my 7d came from :cool:

Out of interest, where do most of the people wanting to buy your prints find you?

Reputation and returning customers must be very important I guess.

HebburnMackem said:
Reputation and returning customers must be very important I guess.

Very much so. I used to be involved in an arty-farty art group, but I generated a good few high quality sales through it. I left after they imploded, but I've recently heard they're under new leadership and doing a bit better - so might venture back.

I've still got a good few contacts from those days, and get leads every now and then. Don't underestimate the value of Flickr mind, properly keyworded and tagged images generate sales too, as does a good online presence. My last bunch of sales were via online stuff.

Resisted the temptation to put stuff up via Facebook mind, it's shite, and people would want stuff for fuck all on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very much so. I used to be involved in an arty-farty art group, but I generated a good few high quality sales through it. I left after they imploded, but I've recently heard they're under new leadership and doing a bit better - so might venture back.

I've still got a good few contacts from those days, and get leads every now and then. Don't underestimate the value of Flickr mind, properly keyworded and tagged images generate sales too, as does a good online presence. My last bunch of sales were via online stuff.

Resisted the temptation to put stuff up via Facebook mind, it's shite, and people would want stuff for fuck all on there.

Thanks for the tips.

I use FB and its shite!

It's okish for networking but not even the best. I'm really just looking at getting work rather than selling work. Its a right pain. No idea where to start. Ive done a few jobs (all design) mind and only made about 1k so far. by the end of the year id like to have somewhere around the 5k mark.

Reading from the posts you seem to know a fair bit about it. So if you have any advice on how to get about and who/what to ask about doing jobs for them then I'm all ears.

About the original post. When I do my mark up price. use some imaginative language. You'll find people are easily pleased if you tart things up a bit. I do it with my design work. Make out they are getting a great deal and you are doing loads of work etc.

So if you have any advice on how to get about and who/what to ask about doing jobs for them then I'm all ears.

This wasn't aimed at me, but its late and I can't sleep so here is my advice, totally ignore it if you like.

Firstly get yourself a proper website, make it as simple as possible but make sure that looks slick, you are wanting to work in a creative field, so make sure that what you are presenting looks like a bit of thought went into it. Typography and design will be important!
Make sure you have some good pictures, get rid of all the rubbish stuff (I haven't seen any of your work this is just a general comment). People find it easier to not give a job based upon a bad photo than give a one based on a good one.
Come across as professional as you can, its about trust, if they can trust you to take the picture than they'll give you the job.
Don't just undercut everybody, you'll always be the guy who was cheapest!
Make sure that your photos have a style, that they are all clearly taken by the same photographer. Give them a reason to pick you over someone else.
Start at small agencies, PR and design agencies, get yourself some client names that you can bandy about while discussing your work.
Get yourself a portfolio, either a good leather book (not a photo album) or an iPad. Certain people will still want to see prints.
Enter important competitions, it can be costly but it will open doors for you if it works out.
Once you have a few client names move onto bigger advertising agencies. Stay away from major hubs like London or Manchester until you are a big fish in a small pond.
Stay friends with all of the art directors that you work with, eventually these guys will become creative directors and have a lot more power.
Make sure you can do the job that you have said you can, as long as you don't fail you'll probably get repeat work.
Get used to being ignored and rejected when trying to get new work, but just keep at it. Don't be afraid to revisit people who have said no in the past when you have some new work to show them.
Target your portfolio to the client. If the clients only wants still life photographers, then showing your glamour portraits isn't going to cut it.
Understand why the best photographers in the world have better pictures than you, and how you can achieve that same level of polish.
Believe in yourself but always strive to improve. Your portfolio should never be finished!

Well that was quite a ramble. All the important points are in that mess above, sorry its not laid out nicely, but if you can follow what i'm going on about then great.

Good luck!

Jonny said:
This wasn't aimed at me, but its late and I can't sleep so here is my advice, totally ignore it if you like.

Firstly get yourself a proper website, make it as simple as possible but make sure that looks slick, you are wanting to work in a creative field, so make sure that what you are presenting looks like a bit of thought went into it. Typography and design will be important!
Make sure you have some good pictures, get rid of all the rubbish stuff (I haven't seen any of your work this is just a general comment). People find it easier to not give a job based upon a bad photo than give a one based on a good one.
Come across as professional as you can, its about trust, if they can trust you to take the picture than they'll give you the job.
Don't just undercut everybody, you'll always be the guy who was cheapest!
Make sure that your photos have a style, that they are all clearly taken by the same photographer. Give them a reason to pick you over someone else.
Start at small agencies, PR and design agencies, get yourself some client names that you can bandy about while discussing your work.
Get yourself a portfolio, either a good leather book (not a photo album) or an iPad. Certain people will still want to see prints.
Enter important competitions, it can be costly but it will open doors for you if it works out.
Once you have a few client names move onto bigger advertising agencies. Stay away from major hubs like London or Manchester until you are a big fish in a small pond.
Stay friends with all of the art directors that you work with, eventually these guys will become creative directors and have a lot more power.
Make sure you can do the job that you have said you can, as long as you don't fail you'll probably get repeat work.
Get used to being ignored and rejected when trying to get new work, but just keep at it. Don't be afraid to revisit people who have said no in the past when you have some new work to show them.
Target your portfolio to the client. If the clients only wants still life photographers, then showing your glamour portraits isn't going to cut it.
Understand why the best photographers in the world have better pictures than you, and how you can achieve that same level of polish.
Believe in yourself but always strive to improve. Your portfolio should never be finished!

Well that was quite a ramble. All the important points are in that mess above, sorry its not laid out nicely, but if you can follow what i'm going on about then great.

Good luck!

Cracking post, with some great advice. Will be taking it on board. You work in the field? If so, you want me number? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back