Selling prints

Status
Not open for further replies.
ayesane said:
isn't your's some fella with his face up the arse of a massive camera? :)

Update: I just seached in Google for your Flickr username and found your Facebook.

canny :cool:

Better a blurred pic of me up a camera, than my mug. It says summat when Iain Hesford's mug is better than mine.

Where'd you find that picture of me dad anyway?

Better a blurred pic of me up a camera, than my mug. It says summat when Iain Hesford's mug is better than mine.

Where'd you find that picture of me dad anyway?

:lol: I like the pic you use actually, it's says to me 'I'm far to busy to have my photo-taken' :cool:

Yer dad is the first Facebook result in Google when searching for yer Flickr name. :lol: give it a try.

ayesane said:
:lol: I like the pic you use actually, it's says to me 'I'm far to busy to have my photo-taken' :cool:

Yer dad is the first Facebook result in Google when searching for yer Flickr name. :lol: give it a try.

He's not my dad :-D that pic you posted is far better looking than my fatha.

I get my good looks from me dads side...

possible portfolio work. just gone back on some of my photos and spent more time on them.

Logon or register to see this image

Gonna do some more this afternoon and this evening. Would people say for a portfolio it'd be wise to have most of the same style of photos? loads of completely different ones? or, say 4/5 of a style then 4/5 of another and so on?

I do like my post production and into giving them an arty edge. Also. The girl was quite spotty. Would it perhaps be a good idea to show an example of what i can do touch up wise.

So this is an original photo

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/32398368.jpg/

I like the photographs - the light is perfect to my taste and if you directed her to wear the blue jumper then even better. I've commented on them in the past but they're seriously good IMO.

I don't have a portfolio, yet, but I'm working on it. I'm trying to use only one shot per session and having a max of 10 images covering what I want to do. My philosophy is that of a menu in a posh restaurant, i.e less choice but a broader scale instead of 40 things the same.

It's Sneech aged 70 :lol:

Wheez that clownshoe?

:lol: IHBB's dad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the photographs - the light is perfect to my taste and if you directed her to wear the blue jumper then even better. I've commented on them in the past but they're seriously good IMO.

I don't have a portfolio, yet, but I'm working on it. I'm trying to use only one shot per session and having a max of 10 images covering what I want to do. My philosophy is that of a menu in a posh restaurant, i.e less choice but a broader scale instead of 40 things the same.

Definitely. I think I'm looking at 20 images max. But I like the idea of one shot per session.

Could work pretty well. that way you have a good variety of images, but still convey your style etc.

For my site I may have a portfolio with the one shot per session. but then you can go into more detail if you click on it. So say 4 shots with a little text. Still keeping it minimalistic.

Don't show your unretouched work to clients. They don't need to see it. Even retouchers shouldn't have a before and after.
If the final picture is good then thats all anybody will care about.

I would only use one of those pictures, which one all depends upon what you want to get from them.
The close up is probably the most interesting picture, but in reality that type of image probably requires a model. The middle image is a very nice portrait and is a picture that might be used in the local press, or as local business head shot type thing.

You need to start thinking about who will pay me for this picture. Start thinking about the pictures that people pay for and work your portfolio around that.

If you want to do portraits then have a portrait portfolio, if you want to do architecture then have a portfolio for that. Don't mix these things.

My advice would still be to try and get some assisting work from the biggest photographers in your area, look at who is doing stuff you like and try and get some work there. Even doing a weeks work experience with a few different guys will improve your work no end.

Don't worry about trying to get paid work at your stage, keep practicing and doing tests, anything you earn at this point in time is a bonus.

This advice is based on the assumption that you are want to be well paid for taking photos as a career.

Don't show your unretouched work to clients. They don't need to see it. Even retouchers shouldn't have a before and after.

I would only use one of those pictures, which one all depends upon what you want to get from them.
The close up is probably the most interesting picture, but in reality that type of image probably requires a model. The middle image is a very nice portrait and is a picture that might be used in the local press, or as local business head shot type thing.

You need to start thinking about who will pay me for this picture. Start thinking about the pictures that people pay for and work your portfolio around that.

If you want to do portraits then have a portrait portfolio, if you want to do architecture then have a portfolio for that. Don't mix these things.

My advice would still be to try and get some assisting work from the biggest photographers in your area, look at who is doing stuff you like and try and get some work there. Even doing a weeks work experience with a few different guys will improve your work no end.

Don't worry about trying to get paid work at your stage, keep practicing and doing tests, anything you earn at this point in time is a bonus.

This advice is based on the assumption that you are want to be well paid for taking photos as a career.

Sounds about right. Cheers for the sound advice. Helping out a lot. I'll get back on here at post up my portfolio. Hopefully get some good reviews.

possible portfolio work. just gone back on some of my photos and spent more time on them.

Gonna do some more this afternoon and this evening. Would people say for a portfolio it'd be wise to have most of the same style of photos? loads of completely different ones? or, say 4/5 of a style then 4/5 of another and so on?

I do like my post production and into giving them an arty edge. Also. The girl was quite spotty. Would it perhaps be a good idea to show an example of what i can do touch up wise.

So this is an original photo

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/32398368.jpg/

You can only work with the material you have. She's a very bonnie lass and photogenic.

You can only work with the material you have. She's a very bonnie lass and photogenic.

Only 16 now. But has the right kind of face for what I'm looking for. Going to have her come down for another shoot.

Another person I'm going to shoot. My 85 year old great uncle. proper character and always has a good story to tell. Also still works down the farms. So got some good ideas for possible shots down there.

If you don't mind me asking what is it you do for a living? You seem very clued up on this and really seem to know what you are talking about - what on earth are you doing on the SMB?

Possible look to a new site. ignore the texting it's bound to change. Just wanted to know few peoples opinions on layout etc?

Thanks.

It's canny, i really like the minimalist approach. No need for out fancy.

Work on your logo abit, and perhaps consider making your unconventional crop a image cycle?

Can you slide a line or two about your self between the large crop and the gallery links? Or is it a case of the least said the better? :lol:

Should have made a fresh thread btw marra :cool:

It's canny, i really like the minimalist approach. No need for out fancy.

Work on your logo abit, and perhaps consider making your unconventional crop a image cycle?

Can you slide a line or two about your self between the large crop and the gallery links? Or is it a case of the least said the better? :lol:

Should have made a fresh thread btw marra :cool:

Aye going to work on that a fair bit still.

Thought I might put more about me on a separate page? but i'll see as i feel a twat when i have to write about myself.

The image crop slider might be a bit tricky. as I'm sh'ite with html coding etc.

Oooooo. actually i'll try bring the 3 images down a little and popping text in there.

Possible look to a new site. ignore the texting it's bound to change. Just wanted to know few peoples opinions on layout etc?

Thanks.

Love it!. Although the black vrs white seems a little too contrasty and harsh on the eyes. Maybe go with shades of gray? Just a personal preference.

Like I said, I'm not a designer.. I just picked up a few bits and pieces over the years working with them.

MalmöMakem said:
cheers mate

not sure whether i need something under the 3 photos? text? border kind of thing?

I'd remove 'portfolio' from the top mate. It's on the 3 images below. Unless you feel the need to signpost of course :cool:

Have you tried your logo in swis721 or even a thin avant garde? I think a bit of roundness on the c's would look tasty.

One last thing, have you considered having the 3 images at the bottom in gs, then they colour up when highlighted? Just a thought, think mono would look smart with the black and white scheme of the layout.

Aye going to work on that a fair bit still.

Thought I might put more about me on a separate page? but i'll see as i feel a twat when i have to write about myself.

The image crop slider might be a bit tricky. as I'm sh'ite with html coding etc.

Oooooo. actually i'll try bring the 3 images down a little and popping text in there.

plenty here willing to help with a jQuery Cycle if you need it marra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back