Secret, Little Known and Hidden Places in Sunderland

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

That little cafe/bait place in Fulwell which is essentially a hatch on the side of someone's house, with a few chairs against the wall.

There's a WW2 pill-box in a garden over the road from the Jolly Sailor at Whitburn. One of its rifle slit points down the main road towards Seaburn in case of invasion.
There used to be a couple of pillboxes on Whitburn beach. When I was an innocent young kid, I used to play soldiers in them unaware that filthy dossers and doggers must have been up to all sorts in them the previous night. Think they were demolished and removed late 60s.

Last edited:
If we're talking Whitburn, Souter Lighthouse is interesting to visit and not that well-known. The fella on the other thread asking about foghorn parps and peeps could get everything explained by the guide.

Another place I used to live near, St Andrews Church in Roker, is apparently a place of importance for William Morris devotees. I never knew that until I got talking once to ...... a William Morris devotee.

Back to Whitburn, arent the rocks off the beach-front / coast internationally famous/significant?
(as in geologically)
/
Not forgetting the cannonball rocks off Roker

Last edited:
If we're talking Whitburn, Souter Lighthouse is interesting to visit and not that well-known. The fella on the other thread asking about foghorn parps and peeps could get everything explained by the guide.

Another place I used to live near, St Andrews Church in Roker, is apparently a place of importance for William Morris devotees. I never knew that until I got talking once to ...... a William Morris devotee.

Back to Whitburn, arent the rocks off the beach-front / coast internationally famous/significant?
(as in geologically)
/
Not forgetting the cannonball rocks off Roker

St.Andrews has some of the best Arts and Crafts in the country, William Morris carpets, a tapestry by Edward Burne-Jones and the font cover is by Robert Thompson (kilburn mouseman) plus lots of other stuff, worth a visit

The cannonball rocks?
I think there is a distinction between the cannonball rocks, the rocks off Whitburn and the rocks further up towards Marsden (including Marsden Rock) but I'm no expert.

Visitors to the area find Marsden Grotto unique and fascinating to visit.... but thats Shields, so doesnt meet Sunderland criteria. Grotto probably isnt even open to visitors any more.. is it?

Last edited:
W
There's a WW2 pill-box in a garden over the road from the Jolly Sailor at Whitburn. One of its rifle slit points down the main road towards Seaburn in case of invasion.

Whitburn pill box.
Live in Whitburn never noticed this will have to keep an eye out is it near the cafes ?
There are old wagon way tunnels near Victoria Viaduct which were built to transport coke from Lambton Coke works to staithes in the Wear. This was necessary because the land owners around Penshaw tried to charge them tax to go over land, so they went under. The entrances are still visible from the path between Cox Green and Fatfield.

There is also a bunker in Doxford Park. The door is visible but locked and I’ve not seen any photos from inside.

There was a crypt found under an old building in Villiers Street as they were demolishing it. The demo had to be placed on hold until the exhumed the bodies and catalogued them.

There was allegedly a WW2 bunker somewhere along the coastline near Little Italy or further up near where the Bay hotel was. I think that’s more likely to be an urban myth and any visible concrete sub structure is likely to be drainage related.
Isn’t the bunker still there now got enclosed seats ontop is a massive artillery gun on the cliffs where the waters edge pub is at shields

Last edited:
Roker has more than its fair share of interesting sights. They say the wooden bridge across the ravine in Roker Park is he oldest in the country, has this been confirmed?

There was allegedly a WW2 bunker somewhere along the coastline near Little Italy or further up near where the Bay hotel was. I think that’s more likely to be an urban myth and any visible concrete sub structure is likely to be drainage related.

Isn't this something to do with the pillbox (which was quite large) I mentioned earlier which was there but was removed in the 60s??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back