Secret, Little Known and Hidden Places in Sunderland

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27897

Thought I'd start up a thread to discuss this as it often leads to a lot of interesting discussions and content.

What are some of the most peculiar, adventurous and interesting locations you're aware of around the local area?

For example, things like the hidden Cold War bunkers under the civic centre, etc.

There's a railway tunnel under the top of Silksworth Row which used to take the line from Silksworth to the Hetton Staithes on the river. You could have walked through it in the 70s but there was a pile of dead rats at the entrance and I never wanted to find out what killed them.

There's a railway tunnel under the top of Silksworth Row which used to take the line from Silksworth to the Hetton Staithes on the river. You could have walked through it in the 70s but there was a pile of dead rats at the entrance and I never wanted to find out what killed them.

You must've only been once, rats are cannibals.
Although I find it amusing that the press are saying they are turning to it due to restaurants being closed.
I'm not even going to read the Mirror story that's just popped up.

Where the fuck do they get these journalists from and more so who the fuck is the editor that allows such absolute shit?

There are old wagon way tunnels near Victoria Viaduct which were built to transport coke from Lambton Coke works to staithes in the Wear. This was necessary because the land owners around Penshaw tried to charge them tax to go over land, so they went under. The entrances are still visible from the path between Cox Green and Fatfield.

There is also a bunker in Doxford Park. The door is visible but locked and I’ve not seen any photos from inside.

There was a crypt found under an old building in Villiers Street as they were demolishing it. The demo had to be placed on hold until the exhumed the bodies and catalogued them.

There was allegedly a WW2 bunker somewhere along the coastline near Little Italy or further up near where the Bay hotel was. I think that’s more likely to be an urban myth and any visible concrete sub structure is likely to be drainage related.

Back