Second Test - England v West Indies (Old Trafford)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some very difficult selection decisions ahead. The top 7 pretty much picks itself, Buttler gets another go I think

Bess probably stays as he did very little wrong
You'd be a brave man to drop Broad
Anderson surely comes back in

So, Archer, Wood, Curran and Woakes all playing for one place

What an embarrassment of riches

FWIW I'd go

Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root (c), Stokes, Pope, Buttler(w), Bess, Archer, Broad, Anderson

You could give Pope the gloves and play an extra bowler (which might be an option if Stokes isn't 100% fit)

Some very difficult selection decisions ahead. The top 7 pretty much picks itself, Buttler gets another go I think

FWIW I'd go

Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Root (c), Stokes, Pope, Buttler(w), Bess, Archer, Broad, Anderson

You could give Pope the gloves and play an extra bowler (which might be an option if Stokes isn't 100% fit)
Agreed. Though I’d go with Leach simply because of all the right handers the WI’s have.

Don't get the snazzy player stats thing :lol:
They're part of the 'boring but true' department.

FWIW I'd go

Looks good to me and, actually, Buttler had a decent game this time around.

Last edited:

FWIW I'd go

I’d be inclined to do that personally, Woakes 7, Curran 8, Bess 9, Broad 10 and Archer or Wood at 11 for me.

Anderson for Curran, Woakes deserves to stay.

Happy for Archer not to play, I think for all the bluster he's overrated, immature and not a test cricketer. Not yet anyway. That's before you consider his stupidity last week.
Agree with all that. Very harsh on Curran as he’s done nothing wrong at all here, chips in with big contributions at key moments and when he plays, we win - at home at least. But if Stokes can’t bowl as much, then Anderson strengthens the bowling and the tail is weakened but not by too much.

Archer should not walk straight back in, in my opinion, and I highly doubt the pitch for Friday will be any more in his or Wood’s favour than this one would have been.

No Jimmy?

Probably not unless the forecast is overcast and it’s likely to swing. Impossible to pick a bowling attack for the next game after how they’ve performed in this test so would add some pace and keep Broad, Woakes and Curran as I feel they’ve done well enough to stay in the team.

Probably not unless the forecast is overcast and it’s likely to swing. Impossible to pick a bowling attack for the next game after how they’ve performed in this test so would add some pace and keep Broad, Woakes and Curran as I feel they’ve done well enough to stay in the team.
It's a fantastic position to be in. Shame we don't have the same wealth of options in the batting department

He averages 21 at Old Trafford to be fair.
I’m playing devil’s advocate though, great position to be in.

Good win not sure why people are giving Bess stick for this, windies had nothing to lose and went for runs knowing they were not going to win they hit balls for six etc as spinners are always where the runs are scored even a young warne got hit for six plenty and I’ve seen spin played against since the 80s. He’s a bairn and will learn he gets a little spin and his length range is getting much better he can only improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back