Scottish banknotes

Does anyone here who mostly pay with cash take Scottish notes from the cashier if you get one or would you ask to change it for an English note?

I've had a Scottish fiver before and there were some shops which wouldn't accept, so if I get given one I ask to change it. Card and cash user.
Drug dealer?

I used cash for the first time in a while yesterday. I like to support a stray dog charity shop by giving old clothes and stuff to it. I usually buy off them as well even if I don't really want what I buy. They don't take cards so I need cash.
I bought off an outdoor market stall yesterday as well that was cash. I also gave some money to some young cadet soldiers for the British legion poppy collection. So I carry a couple of tenners with me but nearly always use card for everything else.
Great. Charity shop worker pocketed that. Or non declared for tax.

Market stall holder not paying tax great.

And on street charity collections is a thing of the past surely for that exact reason.

Hoe the thick still get conned is beyond belief.

You must work?? You pay tax??

Yet happy to allow people not to beggars belief to me.

We had around 500 in notes. Won't say Scottish notes coz here they're just called notes. Was in Cyprus and tried to change them. The arsehole twunt tried to give us a worse rate than English coz our notes had Scotland on them. Told him he was a robbing **** and got chased out of the shop. Matt Damon to play me in the movie and TV spin offs please.
Many, many, years ago, when my parents were on holiday in Yugoslavia, they had to lend some money to a Scots couple - enough to see them through to the end of their holiday - because none of the local exchanges would accept their Scottish banknotes.

And on street charity collections is a thing of the past surely for that exact reason.

Rishi thanks you for your service

Does anyone here who mostly pay with cash take Scottish notes from the cashier if you get one or would you ask to change it for an English note?

I've had a Scottish fiver before and there were some shops which wouldn't accept, so if I get given one I ask to change it. Card and cash user.
It's still like confederate money down here ...no disrespect to our scot friends

Guernsey notes even harder

Actually, I thought Jersey and Guernsey notes weren't legal currency (which is different to legal tender - see above) in the UK as they aren't ultimately backed by the Bank of England (which is the central bank for the whole UK). Same with the Isle of Man pound. Of course any retailer can accept them - they can accept marbles if they want - but they don't have the same legal status as England, Scotland or NI notes

It's still like confederate money down here ...no disrespect to our scot friends
I admit it annoys me slightly, not really any problems in the "border counties" but further south all the time.

If/when it happens to me i always ask, politely, what would you do if you came to Scotland and someone refused to take your English 10 pound note.

Actually, I thought Jersey and Guernsey notes weren't legal currency (which is different to legal tender - see above) in the UK as they aren't ultimately backed by the Bank of England (which is the central bank for the whole UK). Same with the Isle of Man pound. Of course any retailer can accept them - they can accept marbles if they want - but they don't have the same legal status as England, Scotland or NI notes

That's likely what creates said difficulty then mate :lol:

Last edited:
My mate from Aberdeen brought a load of Scottish notes back to Munich when I worked there - only one local bank would exchange them and that was at a considerably lower rate than the BofE rate.

I like you a new Mr Angry on here. :lol:

I'm not sure how a shop worker can pocket money that they've given a receipt for. Wouldn't the till be short? In any case the woman who owns the shop serves in it. So she'd be stealing from herself. As for no tax being paid on what I bought. Charity shops are zero vat rated for donated goods they sell. So no tax fiddle either.

That sentence where you're calling people thick? You've spelt "how" incorrectly. Classic stuff, got to be a windup.:)

Back