Scott Borthwick

I don’t get people saying he’d have to take a massive pay cut.

Unless you know what he’s on now in comparison to what we’d offer him?

I imagine the club would make him one of the highest earners at the club should he return and there’s the huge factor of not having to live in London with those sort of house prices and other associated costs.

Let’s face it though, if Surrey don’t want him, we’d be the ideal destination and we could have those sort of debates then. If they do want him, we aren’t getting him back. Simple as that. That was kind of the point of the discussion all along.

Us being able to compete with Surrey financially is rather a moot point.

I've put it elsewhere in the thread, but I don't think Badger would give a monkeys about taking a pay cut.
He didn't move to Surrey for money - he did it because he thought playing First Division cricket for a county not being shat on by the ECB would help his England chances (they've since gone up in smoke).
I can't see him being on substantially more money anyway, and I honestly don't think it's a motivation for him at all.

If Surrey were to say no thanks to him, I think he'd jump at the chance to go back.

Realistically though, we've struggled batting wise this year as it is. With Pope, Burns, possibly Foakes, JRoy and Sam all with England, I don't think we can afford to lose Badger, who's a mainstay at the top of the order, and his century was probably rectified any doubts about him too.

Not me marra, not trying to be a man’s head either - but I still maintain, as I did at the time that his loss was the bitterest pill to swallow.

I’d go as far actually as to say there’s never been a more difficult loss for the club, since we became First Class. Which is why I’d be so keen to get him back.

All the others who have left are irrelevant in comparison. I’d take Bunny back, just because of the circumstances around it, but the likes of Coughlin and Hart can get their arse fucked.

The lad who posts on here seems to think Coughlin move wasn't as it seems, he gets a lot right on Durham so I tend to believe him

I don’t get people saying he’d have to take a massive pay cut.

Unless you know what he’s on now in comparison to what we’d offer him?

I imagine the club would make him one of the highest earners at the club should he return and there’s the huge factor of not having to live in London with those sort of house prices and other associated costs.

Let’s face it though, if Surrey don’t want him, we’d be the ideal destination and we could have those sort of debates then. If they do want him, we aren’t getting him back. Simple as that. That was kind of the point of the discussion all along.

Us being able to compete with Surrey financially is rather a moot point.

Who’s Mary?

If Borthwick is available, I’d offer him (pretty much) what he wants to return. Robson I could take or leave in truth.
Exactly, when I moved back I was a lot better off on a smaller wage.

It looks like Durham finances are pretty much repaired, and the 1st team squad has been slimmed down since the start of the season. I'd expect they have enough headroom to pay him well without going crazy.

Exactly, when I moved back I was a lot better off on a smaller wage.

It looks like Durham finances are pretty much repaired, and the 1st team squad has been slimmed down since the start of the season. I'd expect they have enough headroom to pay him well without going crazy.
Any idea on a ball park figure as to what your average County player will be on?

Any idea on a ball park figure as to what your average County player will be on?
not sure there is an average .....

some figures I've seen are pretty small, small enough to wonder if it's worth the effort.

some info here tldr; minimum wage for a full time county pro is £27.5k

Last edited:

I’m sure I read somewhere that 30,000 for the season is the ‘minimum wage’. Not sure whether that’s before or after tax though.

Edit - PCA secure salary hike for players in wake of ECB broadcast windfall

Knew I’d seen it, no surprise it’s the EXCELLENT George Dobell with the article. £27,500 basic salary for all full time professionals over 21 years old - 5 CC games constitutes a full time pro.
Because I didn’t say it

It’s not a waste of my time like.

What you do with yours is up to you

So if you didn’t say it, why worry about the content? I mean you’ve named the lad now so that’s fucked it up for him - but you could’ve posted what you know/have been told without naming the source.

Which you could still do really, but by effectively saying “I know a secret...... I’m not telling anyone though” it likens you to an attention seeking 8 year old girl.

Last edited:
I’m sure I read somewhere that 30,000 for the season is the ‘minimum wage’. Not sure whether that’s before or after tax though.

Knew I’d seen it, no surprise it’s the EXCELLENT George Dobell with the article. £27,500 basic salary for all full time professionals over 21 years old - 5 CC games constitutes a full time pro.

So if you didn’t say it, why worry about the content? I mean you’ve named the lad now so that’s fucked it up for him - but you could’ve posted what you know/have been told without naming the source.

Which you could still do really, but by effectively saying “I know a secret...... I’m not telling anyone though” it likens you to an attention seeking 8 year old girl.

He said it on here like

Talk about over reacting to a harmless post

Your not getting the badger for that kind of dough. Probably have to treble that.

You know we're bound by the same wage cap as everyone else, right?

If we've got a single player on anywhere near 6 figures, I'll be amazed.
We're not-we're on a much lower salary cap imposed as part of the sanctions. It has now been lifted.
Having said that I would imagine Bancroft and Rushworth will be close to 6 figure salaries.
Home Counties, however, have a higher salary cap with a "London allowance" factored in.

Last edited:
You know we're bound by the same wage cap as everyone else, right?

If we've got a single player on anywhere near 6 figures, I'll be amazed.
Even going back 10 years ago even Durham had players on or close to 6 figures.
How do you think you get top players to sign for Surrey. There are plenty of perks they can add which do not effect the salary cap.

Even going back 10 years ago even Durham had players on or close to 6 figures.
How do you think you get top players to sign for Surrey. There are plenty of perks they can add which do not effect the salary cap.
Exactly. Pretty sure Durham were capped by the ECB at 800k p/a as opposed to competitors at 2m.

Sure Borthwick was reported to be on 180k when signing for Surrey

Back