Scott Borthwick

He said it on here like

Talk about over reacting to a harmless post

It’s not an overreaction, you’ve fed us a line that indicates you’re ITK, yet when asked to explain it you’ve gone all coy. I don’t like bluffers, I like people who are prepared to back up their claims and as I said, you dropped someone else completely in it.

Just looking at some of the threads on here when Rocky and Badger left for Surrey boy did they get some abuse.
Now a fair few of those posters would welcome him back with open arms.

Perhaps proof that time is a healer?

Last edited:
It’s not an overreaction, you’ve fed us a line that indicates you’re ITK, yet when asked to explain it you’ve gone all coy. I don’t like bluffers, I like people who are prepared to back up their claims and as I said, you dropped someone else completely in it.

Perhaps proof that time is a healer?
Possibly. Christ reading the threads you would think they where a couple of criminals responsible for Durham's plight at the time.

Badger is clearly a genuine lad who thought long and hard about the move and took the wrong advice that a move to Surrey would advance his bowling career. Never read or heard of anyone whose been critical of him for it. As for Stonemercenary he left without a word of regret or thanks to the club. I wouldn't bracket the pair of them in the same category.

Badger is clearly a genuine lad who thought long and hard about the move and took the wrong advice that a move to Surrey would advance his bowling career. Never read or heard of anyone whose been critical of him for it. As for Stonemercenary he left without a word of regret or thanks to the club. I wouldn't bracket the pair of them in the same category.
He only wasn't going to get a bowl at Surrey because his bowling is not good enough to get a bowl ahead of Ansari and Batty. Apart from a short stint in T20 his bowling was never really up to standard at Durham other than as an occasional leggy. In reality he suffers from the same problem as most leggies in that he can't prevent that boundary ball per over which kills them in first class cricket where there is not 4 or 5 men on the boundary.i certainly agree that other than working with Diva Surrey was Ann off choice because he wouldn't get a bowl.
As far as Rocky goes yes he is a different character to Badger and certainly not as charming but I respect him for fighting through those tough early seasons trying to bat at the Riverside where so many young batsmen have failed and come through the other side as one of the best batsmen the club had produced.
It probably sums up the character of the 2 lads that Rocky came out and announced he was leaving during the season when he had made up his mind. Badger didn't announce it till nearly the end of the season even though the rumours where rife not only was he off but was going to Surrey.

Your not getting the badger for that kind of dough. Probably have to treble that.

What’s the point in that post?

I never suggested we would get him for the minimum wage.

Someone asked what the ballpark figure is for your average county cricketers wage. So I supplied some information on the minimum wage as a guide or a reference point.

Last edited:
What’s the point in that post?

I never suggested we would get him for the minimum wage.

Someone asked what the ballpark figure is for your average county cricketers wage. So I supplied some information on the minimum wage as a guide or a reference point.
I know you never suggested that because in a previous post you said give him what he wants to get him to sign which could be a bit wreckless considering Durham's recent finances

He only wasn't going to get a bowl at Surrey because his bowling is not good enough to get a bowl ahead of Ansari and Batty. Apart from a short stint in T20 his bowling was never really up to standard at Durham other than as an occasional leggy. In reality he suffers from the same problem as most leggies in that he can't prevent that boundary ball per over which kills them in first class cricket where there is not 4 or 5 men on the boundary.i certainly agree that other than working with Diva Surrey was Ann off choice because he wouldn't get a bowl.
As far as Rocky goes yes he is a different character to Badger and certainly not as charming but I respect him for fighting through those tough early seasons trying to bat at the Riverside where so many young batsmen have failed and come through the other side as one of the best batsmen the club had produced.
It probably sums up the character of the 2 lads that Rocky came out and announced he was leaving during the season when he had made up his mind. Badger didn't announce it till nearly the end of the season even though the rumours where rife not only was he off but was going to Surrey.
Yes, but equality should he not have shown some respect to Durham for persevering with him through several seasons of low to moderate scores.?

Yes, but equality should he not have shown some respect to Durham for persevering with him through several seasons of low to moderate scores.?

That was the call at the time from most people. Not wishing to trawl over old ground again but the feeling was that clearly, it was only at Durham would he have been given the opportunity time and time again despite scoring next to fuckall for years.

Where we invested in him, majority of counties would’ve binned him long before he started to score big runs.

They only retained him because they thought he was good enough which was proved right by both the club's excellent system of producing talented youngsters into Good 1st class cricketers and Rocky's ability and attitude never to give up.
Yes it would have been great if both had have stayed but he did score a 1000 championship runs for what was it 4 seasons I'm succession do he did give the club something back.

They only retained him because they thought he was good enough which was proved right by both the club's excellent system of producing talented youngsters into Good 1st class cricketers and Rocky's ability and attitude never to give up.
Yes it would have been great if both had have stayed but he did score a 1000 championship runs for what was it 4 seasons I'm succession do he did give the club something back.
Wouldn't argue with that; just felt his departure lacked a little dignity in not paying tribute to the guidance he'd been given and patience shown by the club towards his development.Both Jennings and Borthwick did that which is why most members would welcome them back.
Badger just involved in a Surrey podcast today- seems pretty settled there and doesn't sound at all like a player about to leave.

Last edited:

Don’t forget, it took him a long time to mature into the game, a lot of low scores and failures - yet we kept faith in him. I don’t think many other counties would have had such patience.

Don’t forget, it took him a long time to mature into the game, a lot of low scores and failures - yet we kept faith in him. I don’t think many other counties would have had such patience.
Mate you will not here me knocking Durham's development of young cricketers it's as good as anyone's.
I may have a pop at them for other things and certainly things about county cricket which are very poor but Durham development of players especially bowlers and all rounders is excellent.

Mate you will not here me knocking Durham's development of young cricketers it's as good as anyone's.
I may have a pop at them for other things and certainly things about county cricket which are very poor but Durham development of players especially bowlers and all rounders is excellent.

I wasn’t suggesting you were knocking it mate - I was just pointing out that whilst Stoneman may not have owed us anything, it was thanks to the patience of our coaches and management that he was able to blossom.

Anyway, he’s down there and we’re up here :lol:

Back