Scotland Walking Holiday

ok, so a good way to avoid midges during these summer months is to avoid walking along west coast but you are fine down SW Scotland on the Mull of Galloway ;)

I was of course referring in general to people who come up to Scotland and then whinge about being eaten alive midges... turns out most have gone up to West Coast in and around Fort William, Ben Nevis, Skye, etc... the Mull of Galloway is further south than Carlisle isn't it? :)
Yeah, just a bit.

I've been lucky when I've fished up the west coast though, never been bothered but I know lads who have gone to the same places a week after who've been eaten alive.

Climbed this in June. Did ok till we started coming down. Midged to fuck. Little bastards :lol:
A lad I know works in the Galloway forest, sent me a video the other week of him in his cab of the machine he uses, and the outside was covered in them.

I don't know what it is, but I've fished all along that stretch, Kirkcudbright, Gatehouse of Fleet and all the way along the Mull of Galloway and never been bothered.

Last edited:

How do you get an 'unexpected' week off work?

Freelance project delayed for a few weeks.
Done the Great Glen Way several times and the walk from Fort William to Fort Augustus along the canal is sublime.
The whole thing is to be honest but I'm warning you now, when you get to the bit behind the hotel in Invermoriston you're going to hate your life.:lol:

Few spots when accom is hard to get

Oh I can imagine!

Last edited:
mull is worth a look, plus its got a munro. property difficult to get but cancellations come up all the time .

and just go individual walks there you mean?
Done the Great Glen Way several times and the walk from Fort William to Fort Augustus along the canal is sublime.
The whole thing is to be honest but I'm warning you now, when you get to the bit behind the hotel in Invermoriston you're going to hate your life.:lol:

you ever camped?

there’s no accom at Fort A. I cocked it up.

I just dunno if I can face camping with thecmidges, I can just about avoid them if in BnBs

Last edited:

you ever camped?

I just dunno if I can face camping with thecmidges, I can just about avoid them if in BnBs
Camped most of the time aye. There's a site in Fort Augustus just down off the main area which is canny but the prices have gone up somewhat obviously.
They've also got dorms as well, might be worth seeing if you can get a private dorm. Stravager's Lodge I think it's called.

Would also recommend looking at the hostels, especially the independent ones, they're cracking.

you ever camped?

yeah, plenty of walks there, biggish island so can do northside and then southside ( the ross of mull ) , nb- can be wet, wettest if the inner hebrides.

Got an unexpected week off work next week, want to head up to Highlands, its last minute so bit overwhelmed with choice.

I did the West Highland Way a few months back and loved it, and my current idea will be to do the Great Glen Way from Fort William to Inverness, just because its a defined route with BnBs at the stops. So its easy to organise at such short notice.

So much choice of the islands, which I would love to go to, but not sure where to start, but accomodation mostly full or just too expensive. I could buy a tent and wild camp I guess.

Into my walking, so would want somewhere good to explore for a week with maybe a quiet pint on the night time. As I say might just have to do Great Glen Way at this short a notice, unless anyone has something they recommend?
Can only give you 1 like... But this thread is worth a double like in my book.. Go on YouTube and search trains planes and everything... This may help in your future walks...

Camped most of the time aye. There's a site in Fort Augustus just down off the main area which is canny but the prices have gone up somewhat obviously.
They've also got dorms as well, might be worth seeing if you can get a private dorm. Stravager's Lodge I think it's called.

Would also recommend looking at the hostels, especially the independent ones, they're cracking.

Cheers mate.

How much do you like the walk? I've read mixed things as views only really get in the high route bits? Maybe a bit boring on the flat paths in the woods?

If I do it in 5 days looks like more accom available than in 6.

Bit more worried about the Midges in the section that I was on the WHW

Cheers mate.

How much do you like the walk? I've read mixed things as views only really get in the high route bits? Maybe a bit boring on the flat paths in the woods?

If I do it in 5 days looks like more accom available than in 6.

Bit more worried about the Midges in the section that I was on the WHW
Gorgeous, I love it. Woodland walks, hill walks, walks through towns and villages, it's got everything.
The midges are nowhere near as bad as on the WHW. They're absolute evil bastards on that trail. :lol:

Gorgeous, I love it. Woodland walks, hill walks, walks through towns and villages, it's got everything.
The midges are nowhere near as bad as on the WHW. They're absolute evil bastards on that trail. :lol:

right cheers, 5 days seem reasonable? 6 would be ideal just as I say so last minute that some days sold out. Wouldnt be bringing much.

Aye I got awya with them on the WHW, it was absolutely red hot like so think it helped.

right cheers, 5 days seem reasonable? 6 would be ideal just as I say so last minute that some days sold out. Wouldnt be bringing much.

Aye I got awya with them on the WHW, it was absolutely red hot like so think it helped.
Really depends on your fitness level I suppose and whether you want to stay for a couple days here and there. It's 70-odd miles and some quite hilly bits (the bit at Invermoriston is a killer, as I say, goes straight up to the ridges in a zig zag. :lol:).
When you get to Laggan make sure you stop in at the Eagle Barge pub if it's open, pub boat on the canal. You can't miss it.
Also there's a cracking eco-campsite about 8 miles before Inverness, again you can't miss it. The wifey there is lovely and serves cakes, sandwiches etc.

Is there a guided route up there or is it just pretty self explanatory?
There is a guide but it’s self explanatory if you look at your map. Had a bacon, egg and black pudding stottie on the ferry over there…lush…And we bumped into Rick Wakeman in a bookshop in Lamlash, it was the Tall Ships thingy. 👍

Back