Scotland Walking Holiday

The Rat

Striker
Got an unexpected week off work next week, want to head up to Highlands, its last minute so bit overwhelmed with choice.

I did the West Highland Way a few months back and loved it, and my current idea will be to do the Great Glen Way from Fort William to Inverness, just because its a defined route with BnBs at the stops. So its easy to organise at such short notice.

So much choice of the islands, which I would love to go to, but not sure where to start, but accomodation mostly full or just too expensive. I could buy a tent and wild camp I guess.

Into my walking, so would want somewhere good to explore for a week with maybe a quiet pint on the night time. As I say might just have to do Great Glen Way at this short a notice, unless anyone has something they recommend?

Got an unexpected week off work next week, want to head up to Highlands, its last minute so bit overwhelmed with choice.

I did the West Highland Way a few months back and loved it, and my current idea will be to do the Great Glen Way from Fort William to Inverness, just because its a defined route with BnBs at the stops. So its easy to organise at such short notice.

So much choice of the islands, which I would love to go to, but not sure where to start, but accomodation mostly full or just too expensive. I could buy a tent and wild camp I guess.

Into my walking, so would want somewhere good to explore for a week with maybe a quiet pint on the night time. As I say might just have to do Great Glen Way at this short a notice, unless anyone has something they recommend?
The Route | Southern Upland Way

Portpatrick is a great start point.

Do a “ mini Scotland “ holiday and get across to Arran. A nice hike up Goat Fell, tremendous views at the summit + we had a midge free week anarl. 👍

a good way to avoid midges during these summer months is to avoid walking along west coast ;)

if you want tips on hiking/walking up in Scotland you should consider Perthshire or even further up in the Cairngorms?... since the 80's there have been a fair few renaming of counties/boundaries up that way so as general guideline look at the region formally known as Perthshire

What they now call Big Tree Country: With more than 200,000 acres of woodlands, which include more champion trees than anywhere else in the UK, Perthshire is Big Tree Country. Together these create Scotland's most spectacular trees and woodlands...

or as Sir Walter Scott once described Perthshire as "The fairest portion of the northern kingdom"

You get decent mixture of hills/mountains, lochs, views, quiet roads, towns or villages (from Pitlochry to Aberfeldy and Crieff) with plenty of options from B&B's to exclusive hotels... and no midges!! :)

see the walking highlands link for more info:

The OP will be up for some munro bagging me thinks.

No, it's not like teabagging.
Although if they were to combine the two, who are we to judge?

a good way to avoid midges during these summer months is to avoid walking along west coast ;)

if you want tips on hiking/walking up in Scotland you should consider Perthshire or even further up in the Cairngorms?... since the 80's there have been a fair few renaming of counties/boundaries up that way so as general guideline look at the region formally known as Perthshire

What they now call Big Tree Country: With more than 200,000 acres of woodlands, which include more champion trees than anywhere else in the UK, Perthshire is Big Tree Country. Together these create Scotland's most spectacular trees and woodlands...

or as Sir Walter Scott once described Perthshire as "The fairest portion of the northern kingdom"

You get decent mixture of hills/mountains, lochs, views, quiet roads, towns or villages (from Pitlochry to Aberfeldy and Crieff) with plenty of options from B&B's to exclusive hotels... and no midges!! :)

Dunkeld is a bonny wee place and we might be doing some kayaking or white water rafting on the River Tummel next month.

Never been touched by one down SW Scotland on the Mull of Galloway

Done the Great Glen Way several times and the walk from Fort William to Fort Augustus along the canal is sublime.
The whole thing is to be honest but I'm warning you now, when you get to the bit behind the hotel in Invermoriston you're going to hate your life.:lol:

Never been touched by one down SW Scotland on the Mull of Galloway

ok, so a good way to avoid midges during these summer months is to avoid walking along west coast but you are fine down SW Scotland on the Mull of Galloway ;)

I was of course referring in general to people who come up to Scotland and then whinge about being eaten alive midges... turns out most have gone up to West Coast in and around Fort William, Ben Nevis, Skye, etc... the Mull of Galloway is further south than Carlisle isn't it? :)

Back