School Shooter Parent found Liable as Precedent Set

CatRyan

Striker
Jennifer Crumbley has been found guilty on all counts of Manslaughter in the school shooting by her 15 year old son that saw 4 dead and more injured.

Some are concerned that making parents liable for their children's actions is a worrying precedent.

The key points as I see it are:

Crumbley did not do anything to prevent the shooting despite being in the school at urgent request that day after her son had filled in a paper with murderous ideation and a perfect drawing of his personal gun. Crumbley did not tell the school he had a gun gifted to him just a few days before.
A gun that was in his backpack in school that day. The gun he used in the shooting a few hours later when his parents said they had to go back to work, cutting the meeting short after 11 minutes and turning down the school's offer to take him out of school for the rest of the day.
Crumbley's job was family friendly and allowed children to come into work or for her to wfh which she often did.

The shooter had been having a very obvious mental health crisis for some time, thinking the house was haunted and knowing he was paranoid and an insomniac.
In his journal he writes of his desperate need for help
In text messages to his only good friend who had abruptly been moved to a special school far away just a few weeks prior to the shooting, he says he has asked his mother for medical help with his mental health and she just laughed.
The school counsellors were very concerned about his comments in essays that he was beyond despair. The point here being that his troubles were not being hidden at all and while the school had not yet picked these all up and talked to the parents, he was apparently openly and visibly in some trouble to everyone but Crumbley says this was him "messing with them" and manipulative.

The shooter had two bedrooms because he made his first unlivable with messiness so his second bedroom soon was similarly unlivable but it was where he spent all his time alone when not at school.
He ate Thanksgiving Dinner in his squalid room on his own a few days before the shooting.
On Hallowe'en not long before that he had plans with his one good friend but that was the day his friend was moved abruptly to another school. His parents went out partying and left him home alone.

He would text his mother that he loved her and she would not reply, he would message her alone in the house begging her to come back, that he was scared and paranoid etc

It was just a couple of weeks or less before the shooting that his father bought him a gun.

The gun came with a case you can fit a lock to and a cable lock for the weapon that made it impossible to load or shoot. The cable lock was never used, the case never had a lock fit, it wasn't put in a gun safe.

After the shooting the parents withdrew lots of cash and went into hiding with burner phones, they claim it was to get out of the oppressive limelight but text messages indicate they were on the run and were in fact found and arrested.

Crumbley did not ask after her son, actually spent more time arranging care for her horse and finding out the calorie content of prison food and when someone else discussed her son's situation said he should "man up".

So that is pretty much the Prosecution's argument, that nothing was done that could have been done to prevent this.
The Defence was that the son never asked for medical help, that he hadn't given any indication that he might do anything so bad etc

The reason for the Manslaughter charge is that Michigan did not at that time have a law about gun ownership that would be the usual avenue of charging them, this has now been drafted as a new law.

The concern is that now a parent may be liable for their child's actions which could be insidious.

For instance the parent of a gang member... could they be held liable?

In my view if they did nothing at all like Crumbley, did nothing to get their child help from mental health professionals, police interventions etc then yep they should be held somewhat responsible.

Need a few more cases like this and then parents might sit up and take notice and not give into the whims of their kids

It is tricky to know how this case law will end up being used... if we have learned anything it will be used disproportionately on the black community for instance

My concern is that the main thrust of this case law should be around the responsibility of the gun owner not the parent per se.

It would be dangerous to invite retrospective legislation of parenting choices as most instances will be incredibly nuanced, unlike this desperate case.

I watched the trial and as they trawled through the evidence and you saw all the cries for help and red flags that poor boy sent up it was utterly heart breaking.

I only read the first paragraph of your post, it was simply too long.

Anyway, they bought him a gun days before he killed them.
Yep I made it as succinct as possible while making the case clear šŸ˜³

The father is up next and he seems entirely useless and was the one who bought the gun and according to the mother was the one who was responsible for it.

Reading those points its clear they knew he had mental health issues, ignored them at best, exacerbated them at worst and ended up buying him a gun. Itā€™s neglect and people have ended up losing their lives.

Ultimately I think itā€™s the correct decision.

I donā€™t they are to that extent though.
Plain neglect has led to what he did but I agree itā€™s a dangerous precedent.
That is the crux of it, which is why I hope the precedent is used with the emphasis around negligent gun ownership or similar as opposed to negligent parenting.

Law has always been applied with a bias that sees the most vulnerable criminalised so I don't see why this law will be unique in not being used so.
Giving a clearly mentally disturbed child a firearm is way beyond hopeless parenting.

It's criminal negligence.

yes and criminal negligence is a strong point in reaching the sentence for Manslaughter.

Last edited:
Very dangerous precedent has been set IMHO.

Being a hopeless parent and adult is not a crime. If it was half the population would be inside.

it is here. Gross negligence, a la that couple of knackers here whoā€™ve been charged with gross negligence manslaughter of their baby that they failed to look after whilst on the run.

Sounds like this US case is similar - such an appalling lack of care that it transgresses ā€œnormalā€ bad parenting and falls into criminality.

That is the crux of it, which is why I hope the precedent is used with the emphasis around negligent gun ownership or similar as opposed to negligent parenting.
I would say any gun not locked away with kids in the house is negligent gun ownership.
it is here. Gross negligence, a la that couple of knackers here whoā€™ve been charged with gross negligence manslaughter of their baby that they failed to look after whilst on the run.

Sounds like this US case is similar - such an appalling lack of care that it transgresses ā€œnormalā€ bad parenting and falls into criminality.
I understand the arguments but I think this takes another leap. The child killed, not the parents. Negligence that leads to the death of someone in your care is a different situation, imho.

I'm not that against the verdict. Countries can have whatever laws they wish. I just think it is a dangerous precedent.

Last edited:
It is tricky to know how this case law will end up being used... if we have learned anything it will be used disproportionately on the black community for instance

My concern is that the main thrust of this case law should be around the responsibility of the gun owner not the parent per se.

It would be dangerous to invite retrospective legislation of parenting choices as most instances will be incredibly nuanced, unlike this desperate case.

I watched the trial and as they trawled through the evidence and you saw all the cries for help and red flags that poor boy sent up it was utterly heart breaking.
And yet they purchased a weapon for their 15 year old son.Cannot drink in USA until 21, parent could be in trouble in a restaurant buying their 18 year old an alcoholic drink .16 years old to drive vehicle.16 years old in some states to get married with parental consent.

And yet they purchased a weapon for their 15 year old son.Cannot drink in USA until 21, parent could be in trouble in a restaurant buying their 18 year old an alcoholic drink .16 years old to drive vehicle.16 years old in some states to get married with parental consent.
right so the son did not legally own the gun, the father did, the father who the mother said was agreed to be responsible for the gun, the unlocked gun hidden under some clothes, however he explicitly asked his mother for help and love and she was the last one to have the gun with the son at the range a day or so before the shooting

Back