Same sex marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

But it's not a debate is it, you are just focusing on your hurt feelings, while studiously avoiding the glaring hole in your logic.

Tell me why of all the types of marriage that result in no children, you only want gay couples to have less status.

I dont get this, what extra status or rights does marriage give you than civil partnership?

So you do believe gay couples should be allowed to marry? Well done mate, welcome to an enlightened era

dont go down the Cockney trap again.

It's not about rights, or the difference between Civil Partnerships and Marriage. Why should a person be banned from doing something based on their sexuality?

You really are digging yourself in a hole here. This is 2017 and you are openly stating that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry. I'm embarrassed for you

I am asking what extra rights marriage gives to civil partnership.

Stop trying to make it all personal, I am simply debating a topic.

Why is that relevant? I take you back to my question about sitting at front or back of the bus.

that is the question I am asking. If there are no extra rights I think it invalidates your point of blacks on the bus, but I'd rather not go down that road tbh.

that is the question I am asking. If there are no extra rights I think it invalidates your point of blacks on the bus, but I'd rather not go down that road tbh.
Your question is irrelevant. You ask what extra rights marriage gives you over a civil partnership as if it's something that should be justified. Marriage is a sacred and recognisable union that has been part of society for thousands of years. Why should a gay couple be denied this? Why should they not be recognised in the same way as millions of other married couples? What gives you the right to deny them that? Should gay couples be "satisfied" with a lite version of marriage? Should they be happy to put up with a civil partnership as their only way of celebrating their love? The world changes, it evolves and most people enjoy the enlightenment of evolution. To deny them this (in my opinion) is no different to stopping a black person sit in a chair

Last edited:
Your question is irrelevant. You ask what extra rights marriage gives you over a civil partnership as if it's something that should be justified. Marriage is a sacred and recognisable union that has been part of society for thousands of years. Why should a gay couple be denied this? Why should they not be recognised in the same way as millions of other married couples? What gives you the right to deny them that? Should gay couples be "satisfied" with a lite version of marriage? Should they be happy to put up with a civil partnership as their only way of celebrating their love? The world changes, it evolves and most people enjoy the enlightenment of evolution. To deny them this (in my opinion) is no different to stopping a black person sit in a chair

I dont share your view of marriage as such a great thing but I take your point.

I dont get this, what extra status or rights does marriage give you than civil partnership?

I'm not surprised you don't get it mate. It doesn't seem like you've put much thought into this at all. This is my post from page 12, which you quoted, but somehow seemed to have missed the content:

Actually, they have marriage, because the vast majority of politicians, social scientists, indeed the population, think that's correct and proper. There's a few like you, grimly hanging on to your suspicion, fear and hatred.

Civil partnerships gave the couples much less rights financially, especially dealing with the estate once a partner dies. Less rights regarding living abroad. Divorce can be more complicated too.
Why do you want to force that on people?
What about all the other examples of straight marriage with no kids I mentioned - no kids, so no need for a marriage cert right? Couples who marry in their fifties or sixties should just go for civil partnerships yeah? This is your logic for excluding homosexuals.

It's the difference between an opinion and an educated opinion isn't it, one has a lot more value - the other can be quite dangerous and should be called out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back