Sam Fender

Middle of the road plodder for me like, but good luck to the lad. Hope the record does well, be nice to have a champion for the north east music scene up there.

He’s alright aye, better than a lot of the shite the pop industry churns out, and its nice that his music tackles important topics. Everything about him says I should like him, but it just doesn’t click for me unfortunately. Lyrics feel like they are written by somebody that has read Chomsky’s Wikipedia page, and where better than singing about the usual shite of money and sex, they do come across as wooden, try hard, and the product of a 6th form focus group. Musically it’s just generic overproduced melodic soulless backing that Polydor could have assigned any of their artists.

Admittedly I am really not the target audience, I hope the kid does well and I’m sure millions of people think he is the bees knees. Good luck to him, but what you’re seeing here is a slightly more edgy Jake Bugg experiment with greater longevity.

Quite like a couple of the ones I’ve heard although I find some of his lyrics a bit trite and he’s irritatingly “woke”.

I see lammy has been tweeting his lyrics from his track “white privilege”

“The patriarchy is real, the proof is here in my song. I'll sit and mansplain every detail of the things it does wrong 'Cause I'm a white male, full of shame My ancestry is evil, and their evil is still not gone"

:confused:

wasnt a bad first listen, the radio tunes are half decent, the album tracks are a bit 'war on drugs' i thought... quite like white privilege lyrically.

gonna listen to the war on drugs now though.

Aye the second song on the album is pure war on drugsesqe.
Really enjoyed the album on the whole though, can’t beat abit chorus pedal mixed in with some saxophone

I met him last Friday and sat and had some drinks with him in a hotel bar in London. He was with his mate/manager and they were both canny lads. Had a bit of banter about the footy - he thought I looked like a young Brian Clough 😯. Anyway - he was very down to earth and had his head screwed on - I liked him a lot. He was down for some Bruce Springsteen 70th birthday thing as he was one of his heroes...

Back