SAFSEE season pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

They do not want people watching the match on a stream, it's as simple as that.

Be amazed if it affected attendances much tbh. For starters sites like sportsmania are struggling to get ifollow, additionally in this league they're down nearer to the hardcore; those who are still going want to watch SAFC. I'm a bit gutted because there's away games I can't get to (3 year old to watch) but there's no way I'd ever give up my season ticket to watch home games in the house, I think that applies to most who will be going this season, very few would opt for an ifollow link ahead of the game, especially when there's no commentary, one camera angle etc, hardly like f***ing the match off for sky HD coverage!

Be amazed if it affected attendances much tbh. For starters sites like sportsmania are struggling to get ifollow, additionally in this league they're down nearer to the hardcore; those who are still going want to watch SAFC. I'm a bit gutted because there's away games I can't get to (3 year old to watch) but there's no way I'd ever give up my season ticket to watch home games in the house, I think that applies to most who will be going this season, very few would opt for an ifollow link ahead of the game, especially when there's no commentary, one camera angle etc, hardly like f***ing the match off for sky HD coverage!

Only thing that really effects attendances is ticket prices not streams

Agreed 100%

It's pathetic. The club have absolute imbeciles making these decisions.
I'd happily pay £110 for the ifollow service, but they're not prepared to give me a legal option to watch the games live.

This (in blue) was my response to the garbage that was dished up when I contacted the club, I'm yet to hear back from them...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the online streaming of games during the 2017-18 season. I passed on your feedback previously and now have an update for you from the relevant department. We have conducted extensive background work regarding this option being offered by the EFL and have made the decision not participate in iFollow or any streaming service for the foreseeable future.
I understand that as a member of the FA and competitor of the EFL you as a club are restricted by the terms and conditions of broadcast provided by the league. This means that in order to engage supporters around the world the club needs to make adjustments to their marketing strategy without breaking the rules. Sunderland AFC have done nothing of the sort instead disregarding the want for live coverage of the team and providing sub par alternatives.

There are a number of reasons behind us reaching this conclusion:

- We believe the standard one-camera option will not provide a quality service for supporters
So instead you would rather not give me the option to watch my team live and instead avoid social media and news outlets while I wait for the replay to be ready for broadcast? When that replay is in fact ready I then have to pay for it anyway?

- Producing a broadcast to the standard for which the club would be happy to charge our supporters (multi-camera, commentary etc) would involve significant costs
All we as supporters would want is a single commentator and single camera from telecast view, I'm sure subscriptions from a small minority of your international viewers would cover this cost.

- A significant number of games (those broadcast on TV in the UK and abroad) cannot be streamed under EFL rules, and as such there is no guarantee as to a minimum number of games which could be shown. We would therefore be charging supporters for a product we may not be able to deliver
The EFL will be able to provide you with a list of games that are available for you as a club to broadcast, you could then put a price based on the number of international members willing to sign up divided by the cost to set up and run the service. Might even be able to increase the cost to covers losses and potentially make some money for the club.

- We do not believe from our research that the revenue from subscriptions would make the venture financially viable
As a subscriber to forums and social media without a great deal of marketing knowledge and/or education I can assure you this is not the case.

- We have already invested a significant sum in a multi-camera broadcast system for use at the Stadium of Light and are currently planning to broadcast full 90-minute re-runs of home games, delayed in accordance with the league's holdbacks (available from 12 noon GMT the day after the game) for a subsidised fee.
This sounds like a substantially more costly venture than the single camera individual commentator option previously mentioned. Your second 'reason' for not streaming these games live clearly explained that producing video using these multi-camera angles would involve significant costs? Which is it?

SAFC is continuing to invest in its digital platforms, recognising that this is a vital medium for fans to connect with the club. We will do everything we can to continue to extend our coverage via existing channels moving forward and hope you will understand our reasoning in regards to this.
I can see no evidence of the club investing anything into it's digital platforms. Beyond what was offered last season the only change made is a charged re run of the football match played 24 hours prior. This has now replaced the full match replay provided to me by my pay TV provider that I was getting at no charge last year in addition to my full live match broadcast.

Kind regards,

Chris

The problem is we are limited due to the TV deals. As with Prem highlights Sky have the rights to show the first "full highlights" should they choose to do so, then Channel 5 have the rights to show the highlights, and then clubs can show the highlights on their website. Price wise we have to charge what we are told by the EFL and the rights holders.

I'm sure if the club could, they'd rather have just kept the same setup as last season. Free total access.
We're not limited though are we. There's a service provided, legally,where just about every man and his dog have said they are willing to pay for. Instead the club come up with an archaic solution of there own which the same men and dogs almost to a tee have said you can stick up your arse.
I would imagine their slice of the £110 was less than the £45 they are charging for their own service. Somehow they thought the same subscribers who wanted to pay for the live option would flock to their delayed shite en masse. Big mistake. :oops:

Theyre not f***ing charging for that shite are they :lol:
If they were playing in the garden you'd shutdown the curtains wouldn't you?

We're not limited though are we. There's a service provided, legally,where just about every man and his dog have said they are willing to pay for. Instead the club come up with an archaic solution of there own which the same men and dogs almost to a tee have said you can stick up your arse.
I would imagine their slice of the £110 was less than the £45 they are charging for their own service. Somehow they thought the same subscribers who wanted to pay for the live option would flock to their delayed shite en masse. Big mistake. :oops:
I wonder if anyone employed on the filming/directing/producing/editing/distribution side of this venture is a blood relation of anyone employed by SAFC who was in a a position to ensure it went ahead? I don't know but I think it should be public knowledge.
I believe blood relations should be public knowledge for transparency purposes. Managers, agents, directors, DOFs etc.

Last edited:
They do not want people watching the match on a stream, it's as simple as that.
This. Or rather they don't want people watching on a free stream. The best way to prevent this is opting out. Taking a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, but I can't think of any other logical reasoning.

So they want people to attend the actual match, but have made the matchday experience for some worse, by getting rid of that travel pass and the family zone.

I wouldn't pay 45p to access our matches for a season. I pay far too much following them already and there's no more I am willing to give especially when the owner is unwilling to give anything in return.

Tight bastard!

So they want people to attend the actual match, but have made the matchday experience for some worse, by getting rid of that travel pass and the family zone.
All this crap isn't relevant for home games is it? People who are able to go to home games wouldn't benefit from the streams etc anyway would they? My understanding that this ifollow bollocks is only available to supporters outside the UK? Could be wrong like.

All this crap isn't relevant for home games is it? People who are able to go to home games wouldn't benefit from the streams etc anyway would they? My understanding that this ifollow bollocks is only available to supporters outside the UK? Could be wrong like.
It is, but I think they were worried it would be streamed back to the uk. For once they don't think the fans are stupid.

It is, but I think they were worried it would be streamed back to the uk. For once they don't think the fans are stupid.
I think that is part of the problem. In the eyes of the club it's probably not worth it for the amount of overseas fans and if they were do it, it would sharp end up getting streamed to the UK and the club wouldn't benefit from the revenue. From the sound of it, this ifollow stuff is expensive and shite. I reckon if it was a quality service and available in the UK they would be part of it.

I think that is part of the problem. In the eyes of the club it's probably not worth it for the amount of overseas fans and if they were do it, it would sharp end up getting streamed to the UK and the club wouldn't benefit from the revenue. From the sound of it, this ifollow stuff is expensive and shite. I reckon if it was a quality service and available in the UK they would be part of it.
Actually that's fair enough especially without knowing the cost to the club.

However plenty of other clubs have signed up with a smaller fan Base, and I would guess we have a fair few overseas fans due to lads leaving the NE for work. If other clubs can make it viable I'm surprised we can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back