SAFSEE season pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
People whinging about it not being until midday the next day; isn't it that way because of tv rights? Sure Match of the Day doesn't go on iplayer straight away for the same reason, or at least it never used to.

Then why not sign up for iFollow? I'd be more than happy to pay £110 a season to watch every game. I've signed up for every other service that showed the Premier League over the years I have lived here. I'm happy to pay for a legal service, this solution is terrible.
I'm sure all we'd get here in the UK extra with ifollow is the highlights earlier.

The live streams only applies to foreign fans. Hence why it's not value for money to our UK fans to have to pay £110 for the highlights a few hours earlier.
We're not limited though are we. There's a service provided, legally,where just about every man and his dog have said they are willing to pay for. Instead the club come up with an archaic solution of there own which the same men and dogs almost to a tee have said you can stick up your arse.
I would imagine their slice of the £110 was less than the £45 they are charging for their own service. Somehow they thought the same subscribers who wanted to pay for the live option would flock to their delayed shite en masse. Big mistake. :oops:
The club was the we in my post. The club are bound by the conditions of the contract they have with the EFL and the TV rights holders. We can't show the games before they do. The ifollow service is 99% the same as SAFSee but at a higher price for really no extra benefit to the UK fans. There is a benefit to foreign fans who can watch a live stream. Which is highly unfair as there are fans here in the UK, like myself who live 3-400 miles from the stadium and don't get to even listen to matches now unless I pay for it.

It seems to me that the EFL are trying desperately to protect their TV and radio rights even harder than the prem do.

Actually that's fair enough especially without knowing the cost to the club.

However plenty of other clubs have signed up with a smaller fan Base, and I would guess we have a fair few overseas fans due to lads leaving the NE for work. If other clubs can make it viable I'm surprised we can't.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Only a handful of the 72 FL clubs didn't sign up for it, including us, Villa and QPR who all have financial issues, not sure on who the other clubs were.
I can't see how it wouldn't be a massive gamble for all clubs, until we've seen the levels of interest at other clubs we'll never know. From what i've seen it's around £110 for a seasons pass. How many clubs in the FL have enough overseas fans who would be willing for fork out that kind of money to watch what is effectively a webcam view of a match? How many subscriptions would be required for it to be worthwhile to the clubs? I'd say we have more supporters outside the UK than the majority of clubs in FL so it'll be interesting to see how it fairs for clubs this season. I can see a lot of clubs pulling out.

This. You can watch ten minute highlights the next day on any number of websites. I swear our club is still run by old men in suits smoking and spanking the secretaries arse every time she has the sheer audacity to walk in the board room.
:lol:

People whinging about it not being until midday the next day; isn't it that way because of tv rights? Sure Match of the Day doesn't go on iplayer straight away for the same reason, or at least it never used to.

That would be fair enough if there wasn't a perfectly legal option to air the game at 3pm as it kicks off.

After watching the highlights and all the goals on Sky Sports News then Channel 5 then Sky Sports News again, anyone that then pays £45 to see what they've already seen 24 hours later needs sectioned.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Only a handful of the 72 FL clubs didn't sign up for it, including us, Villa and QPR who all have financial issues, not sure on who the other clubs were.
I can't see how it wouldn't be a massive gamble for all clubs, until we've seen the levels of interest at other clubs we'll never know. From what i've seen it's around £110 for a seasons pass. How many clubs in the FL have enough overseas fans who would be willing for fork out that kind of money to watch what is effectively a webcam view of a match? How many subscriptions would be required for it to be worthwhile to the clubs? I'd say we have more supporters outside the UK than the majority of clubs in FL so it'll be interesting to see how it fairs for clubs this season. I can see a lot of clubs pulling out.

3 poorly run clubs who always seem to be making it up as they go along. Interesting.

I've watched games on periscope before man. I've even watched games streamed from someone's phone video'ing their their computer screen. I suspect iFollow would be a significant improvement on that.

Last edited:
That would be fair enough if there wasn't a perfectly legal option to air the game at 3pm as it kicks off.

After watching the highlights and all the goals on Sky Sports News then Channel 5 then Sky Sports News again, anyone that then pays £45 to see what they've already seen 24 hours later needs sectioned.
Except for you have to pay £110 for iFollow without knowing if you're going to see 46 games or none. They can only show games that aren't already being shown on TV and I'd say it's a fair bet that we'll be on quite a lot. I can see why the idea appeals but it's nowhere near polished enough and that seems to be why the club opted out.

Except for you have to pay £110 for iFollow without knowing if you're going to see 46 games or none. They can only show games that aren't already being shown on TV and I'd say it's a fair bet that we'll be on quite a lot. I can see why the idea appeals but it's nowhere near polished enough and that seems to be why the club opted out.

surely that's for the individual fan to decide whether it's worth it or not?

surely that's for the individual fan to decide whether it's worth it or not?
The club still has to pay to be part of it and have their name associated with it. I think the idea needs work but would like the club to be part of it in the future.

Interestingly the wonderful Steve Gibson, greatest chairman in the land at the best run football club in the world, has also decided not to opt into iFollow. It's clearly not there yet in terms of quality and if the club opted in and fans ended up only being able to watch say half our games with one camera for £110, that would be another thing the club would be slagged off over.

Our club is run by amateurs but this is one thing I actually think they have a point on. It's the EFL/FA and rules around TV blackouts in this country that are really in the dark ages. Fans want to watch every game live, be that on TV via red button services or online streaming. The fact people in other countries can watch our league like that but we can't says it all...

Whoever is in charge of marketing at our club needs sacking. There's car boot stalls out there better ran than this ffs.

3 poorly run clubs who always seem to be making it up as they go along. Interesting.

I've watched games on periscope before man. I've even watched games streamed from someone's phone video'ing their their computer screen. I suspect iFollow would be a significant improvement on that.
I've done the same but would I shite pay for that privilege. If it was available to everyone i'd agree it would be stupid to not get involved. The fact it is only available for people outside of the UK means it's a risk paying for it.

I'm sure all we'd get here in the UK extra with ifollow is the highlights earlier.

The live streams only applies to foreign fans. Hence why it's not value for money to our UK fans to have to pay £110 for the highlights a few hours earlier.

The club was the we in my post. The club are bound by the conditions of the contract they have with the EFL and the TV rights holders. We can't show the games before they do. The ifollow service is 99% the same as SAFSee but at a higher price for really no extra benefit to the UK fans. There is a benefit to foreign fans who can watch a live stream. Which is highly unfair as there are fans here in the UK, like myself who live 3-400 miles from the stadium and don't get to even listen to matches now unless I pay for it.

It seems to me that the EFL are trying desperately to protect their TV and radio rights even harder than the prem do.

I get and appreciate all of that. It's clear the broadcast rules are ridiculously restrictive. My issue (as a supporter living overseas) is that the club haven't signed up to what sounds like a very good service, and are offering a third rate one in its place. For the last ten years I've been able to watch the vast majority of our matches legally on pay TV or via streaming.

Football has a lot to learn from other sports. NHL for example, you can stream live or watch on demand every single hockey match for $110 a season, whether you are in the country of the game or overseas. In this day and age all fans should be able to buy a digital season card, even if it restricted broadcast in the UK to away matches if they are so worried about it impacting attendances. For what it's worth I don't think it would have the impact the club seems to fear it will. People who genuinely love going to the game will go regardless, even if it is available to watch online.

Perfect opportunity to test it would have been pre season. We didnt need to use ifollow and could have used our own platform, which majority would already be in place (staff/cameras/equipment)

Having a few pre season games streamed could have given us a chance to show what it's like, and then club could have got feedback to see if it was worth while. This would have then got them an idea of numbers for their costs

I get and appreciate all of that. It's clear the broadcast rules are ridiculously restrictive. My issue (as a supporter living overseas) is that the club haven't signed up to what sounds like a very good service, and are offering a third rate one in its place. For the last ten years I've been able to watch the vast majority of our matches legally on pay TV or via streaming.

Football has a lot to learn from other sports. NHL for example, you can stream live or watch on demand every single hockey match for $110 a season, whether you are in the country of the game or overseas. In this day and age all fans should be able to buy a digital season card, even if it restricted broadcast in the UK to away matches if they are so worried about it impacting attendances. For what it's worth I don't think it would have the impact the club seems to fear it will. People who genuinely love going to the game will go regardless, even if it is available to watch online.
I do agree it's a poor situation, perhaps the club viewed the cost as preventative as well, especially if we were/are planning an immediate return to the prem?

I fully agree that a digital season card is the way forward. I would happily pay the price of a full season ticket as if I did live in the North East I would have a season ticket. I'd then happily pay a reduced price to each away team if I wanted to watch the match. Maybe £10 a game for away fans? I genuinely don't believe attendances would drop by a significant amount to warrant the hesitancy clubs and the league powers are showing. Besides it's not like clubs finances are specifically tied to ticket income anymore!

I wouldn't pay 45p to access our matches for a season. I pay far too much following them already and there's no more I am willing to give especially when the owner is unwilling to give anything in return.

Tight bastard!

Good idea imo. You just have to impose a media blackout on yourself for 24 hours and then you can watch it and pretend it’s live. Copyright holders 0, phil 1.

They should be aye. Won't be able to listen online but i'm not sure you ever could. Will be available on the old wireless though.
You unfortunately don't have to travel that far in order to struggle to pick the channel up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back