SA Tour 2019/20

Boxing Day Melbourne best day of cricket I’ve been to
Definitely not my favourite country (or ground).
But not terrible either.
That was probably the best day of cricket that I have ever seen, certainly abroad, and I only watched it in tele.
Must have been fantastic to be there.
Hamilton is a dump mate

Maybe, but NZ is a fantastic country, a load better than Oz.
Christchurch, Auckland and Wellington all are good venues.

Me too. Aside from the UAE the MCG would be bottom of my list. Soulless cavernous bowl.

Forgot you went to the UAE, definitely fancy it next time if I can.

I always remember seeing Matty Prior on TV, holding up play, saluting the England fans at the time of George's funeral. Class

Definitely not my favourite country (or ground).
But not terrible either.
That was probably the best day of cricket that I have ever seen, certainly abroad, and I only watched it in tele.
Must have been fantastic to be there.

Maybe, but NZ is a fantastic country, a load better than Oz.
Christchurch, Auckland and Wellington all are good venues.

Forgot you went to the UAE, definitely fancy it next time if I can.

I always remember seeing Matty Prior on TV, holding up play, saluting the England fans at the time of George's funeral. Class
Deffo agree re the rest of NZ mate
Always have a good trip there

@NorthCountryBoy , or anyone else going to PE.

Addo Elephant Park, which is not just an elephant park, but one of SAs bigger safari parks is not too far away.
Lions leopards hyenas etc
In fact from St George's Park, it is 41 Kms from Colchester, which has an entrance gate to the NP .

We will be staying there and driving in on the morning of the game.
Admission fees for foreigners is 304 Rand pp or if you are going to a lot of parks, for example, the Kruger, then a whole years admission to ALL SA National Parks, for two people (obviously including Table Mountain) costs about 4400 Rand if you buy the wildcard.This is incredible value.
By comparison one visit per person per day is around 80$ US in Kenya's Masai Mara.

If a day is rained off, we might even go there for the afternoon, we will have a hired car, so as it gets nearer and anyone's interested, pile in for the ride....

Anyway just an option, it's not often that England play close to some of the best wildlife in the world.

Cape Town (or parts of it) look a bit rough mind. I dinnit think I'll be venturing too far off the tourist trail.

Plenty more get done in Joburg and Durban ain’t too clever.
The settlements are en route from the Airport- The Cape Flats.
None of this shite gets down the V and A Waterfront and Newlands itself is safe as

Think I'll just wait for GS. Want to spend different days in different parts of the ground if I can.
Paddy, I'm sending you a PM now.
I already have my tickets for all tests, some are comps.
Absolutely nowt to do with the BA

Anyone else interested, PM me.
Think I'll just wait for GS. Want to spend different days in different parts of the ground if I can.
Check your Inbox, I have all my tickets for 4 Tests, some are comps.
Anyone else interested, PM me, I can tell you how.
Fuck all to do with the BA
Oops, I thought I'd lost it....

Last edited:
I was at a wedding last night with a load of England away regulars there... to my delight the GF woke up today asking if we could go to South Africa :cool:

I've done Cape Town before so really fancy PE, but need to be conscious that there's plenty of scenic/ safari type stuff nearby for her to do.

For the lads who've been, how do the two cities (and day trips around them) compare? Looking at the likes of @El Oso and @Rip Van Fish here. Cheers!

I was at a wedding last night with a load of England away regulars there... to my delight the GF woke up today asking if we could go to South Africa :cool:

I've done Cape Town before so really fancy PE, but need to be conscious that there's plenty of scenic/ safari type stuff nearby for her to do.

For the lads who've been, how do the two cities (and day trips around them) compare? Looking at the likes of @El Oso and @Rip Van Fish here. Cheers!
PE is not much to shout about I’m afraid. There’s Addo Elephant Park a few miles down the road which is a good trip- Hire a car.

Of an evening the main place I guess will be the Boardwalk complex as it’s safe there.

Been to plenty of bars in and around PE but that has been courtesy of our hosts.

If you are on a budget (and a lot of BA like to do it as cheap as they can) then my man may have some vacancies at his place- chalets in his back garden.

First of all, book your tickets before she changes her mind!

Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Certainly nothing else in South Africa comes close.

Haven't been to SA since the 80s, so not up on it, recently.

The one thing that PE beats CT is the wildlife, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Addo Elephant Park, a world class and underlooked game park, 40 Kms away from the ground.

As there is 8 days between the two, I guess it is out of the question that you see the last 3 days in CT?

Or even just spend 2 nights in CT and then drive to PE?

In between tests, we are spending 2 more nights in CT.
Then, the Garden Route, which is truly stunning, a 500 mile drive from CT to PE.
We are spending 3 nights on the Garden Route and 3 in Addo.

Of note on this route are George, Knysna lake District, Wilderness area and Storms river mouth.
I think Storms river mouth is only about a 2 hour drive from PE, great walks, including the suspension bridge over it.

I've booked e cheap car (Polo) through Avis UK with unlimited mileage for 42 days for £420.
Using a worldwide discount code, which I googled for. So worth a look.

Not gonna go on too much about CT, but much more there, V and A, Robben Island, Table Mountain, and the road to Cape Point, winelands, beaches etc.
Even ostriches, sharks and more.
Much more than PE.
In PE, you could also go and see the Karoo desert, which is worth a look.

Another option, a bit way out, but at least something to consider, if you could get away with it, is see the game in PE, with morning game drives in Addo( staying in Colchester), then drive up to Joburg for the 4th Test, staying in mountain kingdom of Lesotho on the way.
Fly home on the night after the game.

Premiere Classe Apartments literally opposite the ground.

Sorry I don't have much info on PE itself, it has a bit of a run down city centre, nice suburbs and a reasonable beach.
I believe it is reasonably safe by SA standards.

First of all, book your tickets before she changes her mind!

Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Certainly nothing else in South Africa comes close.

Haven't been to SA since the 80s, so not up on it, recently.

The one thing that PE beats CT is the wildlife, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Addo Elephant Park, a world class and underlooked game park, 40 Kms away from the ground.

As there is 8 days between the two, I guess it is out of the question that you see the last 3 days in CT?

Or even just spend 2 nights in CT and then drive to PE?

In between tests, we are spending 2 more nights in CT.
Then, the Garden Route, which is truly stunning, a 500 mile drive from CT to PE.
We are spending 3 nights on the Garden Route and 3 in Addo.

Of note on this route are George, Knysna lake District, Wilderness area and Storms river mouth.
I think Storms river mouth is only about a 2 hour drive from PE, great walks, including the suspension bridge over it.

I've booked e cheap car (Polo) through Avis UK with unlimited mileage for 42 days for £420.
Using a worldwide discount code, which I googled for. So worth a look.

Not gonna go on too much about CT, but much more there, V and A, Robben Island, Table Mountain, and the road to Cape Point, winelands, beaches etc.
Even ostriches, sharks and more.
Much more than PE.
In PE, you could also go and see the Karoo desert, which is worth a look.

Another option, a bit way out, but at least something to consider, if you could get away with it, is see the game in PE, with morning game drives in Addo( staying in Colchester), then drive up to Joburg for the 4th Test, staying in mountain kingdom of Lesotho on the way.
Fly home on the night after the game.

Premiere Classe Apartments literally opposite the ground.

Sorry I don't have much info on PE itself, it has a bit of a run down city centre, nice suburbs and a reasonable beach.
I believe it is reasonably safe by SA standards.

Cheers. Last couple of days of CT then first few of PE was in my mind as an option.
PE is not much to shout about I’m afraid. There’s Addo Elephant Park a few miles down the road which is a good trip- Hire a car.

Of an evening the main place I guess will be the Boardwalk complex as it’s safe there.

Been to plenty of bars in and around PE but that has been courtesy of our hosts.

If you are on a budget (and a lot of BA like to do it as cheap as they can) then my man may have some vacancies at his place- chalets in his back garden.

Thanks. Doubt I'll be able to do this one on our usual (non) standards though, might have to get a hotel for this one...

Last edited:

Back