Ryan."Cambo" Campbell

"Before last season, captain Scott Borthwick had a chat with James Franklin, Durham’s former coach. Franklin told him that the average team needs 13 points a game to get promoted. “It was a mindset of ‘if we draw every game, we probably go up’,” Borthwick recalls. “Fast forward 12 months, it’s how can we try and win?” - that sums Franklin up and backs up everything I've said. that was his boring dull mindset and it numbed everyone & prevented the captain from captaining especially with the declarations and it pissed the players off massively as they were very much held back.
And yet according to a certain wum on here they were bezzie mates

I think this fella deserves his own thread on the day Durham won the league in style.
Turned up as an unknown some cynics even believing he was just one of Norths mates from back in Perth.
He has been incredibly positive from the start in mid winter training. First of all calling out Clark and backing it up by playing him from day one. He said he hated draws and that Durham would be positive and play on the front foot which they have done.
He appears to attend quite a bit of 2nd Xl cricket which is good to see. And not always the case.
Now that he has had a season of this "county cricket caper" under his belt it will be interesting to see how we go next season. No doubt our championship cricket will be played in the same style but will be intersting to see what impact he can have on our t20 Performances now that he has seen for himself how ordinary we are at this form if the game.
Well done Cambo and the quiet man "Jimmy"
Absolutely love the fact he has embraced a more positive style, saying he hates draws!

Draws have a place in longer format cricket always have done, but draws should be a fall back option , a last resort after you have explored all options to win.

In the past that has not always been the case.

Hearing him speak comes across as a really positive mindset and it’s great that’s transpired on the field for Durham.

Winning games is always great in sport winning them in style is even better!!!

Last edited:
It's all coming out now from what I said on here a long time ago about how toxic it was under Franklin. "For me as a Durham player, I used to go for drinks and dinner with Jon Lewis, who was the coach, or Geoff Cook or Alan Walker," says Borthwick, who returned at the end of 2020.

"The old head coach was 'nah, we're the coaching staff and the players do what they want.' Players started developing fear of the coaches, which should never be the case."
You could take the Campbell-Lasso comparison a little further. An outsider coming in, putting smiles on faces and, in turn, bringing the soul back to a group of players who had lost the thread of what playing cricket in Durham was all about.

"I think we did lose touch, to be honest," Borthwick says. "Over the last couple of years, we [the players] felt a bit distant from the club and the fans."

Last edited:
Nothing stopping us either. I fancy our chances.
I think if we are trying to win a paper cup I'd agree because we have a good team on paper.

The availability of Potts and Carse will be problematic, either though England call-ups or restrictions or injury.
Coggers, who knows.
Raine, great, but not pacy.

I short, I'm seeing a gap in strike bowlers even with an overseas.

Back