Russia invading Ukraine (NEWS/UPDATES) - Please put sensitive content behind a spoiler

What are the most reliable sources for Russian casualties since the start of the war? These claims of 60-80K seem astronomical. I don't doubt they have suffered terrible losses but we are living through an age of censorship, so I think such figures should be treated with caution. I cannot fathom the censorship given we ourselves are not directly at war with Russia.

This is the best site for claimed and confirmed losses, unfortunately the confirmed looses don't include troops.

The Ukraine estimated Russian troop losses may include wounded as it is difficult to confirm deaths when tanks etc are hit.

Last edited:

The Russian mobilised do genuinely look utter shite.

Time will tell when they get to the front if they improve the Russians combat capability or end up being being a massive hindarance.

100k of poorly trained, poorly disciplined and poorly motivated amateurs arriving, likely getting professional soldiers killed, stretching ammo and food supplies and probably deserting on mass doesn’t sound like beneficial.

May be wrong but gut feeling is they will be completely ineffective, create further supply problems and ultimately end up needing to be babysat by the few remaining professional Russian groupings

Yes but unless they are hit in the brain or the heart then they won't die instantly.
My ex forces work colleagues used to tell me about the SLR which fired a similar calibre bullet and if one hit you, even somewhere obscure, it would be a very high probability of instant of very quick death. I assumed the AK would be similar.

My ex forces work colleagues used to tell me about the SLR which fired a similar calibre bullet and if one hit you, even somewhere obscure, it would be a very high probability of instant of very quick death. I assumed the AK would be similar.
SLR used a 7.62x51 which is different to the 7.62x39 the AK47 uses but for the purposes comparing the effects they're similar enough.

I'd say the effects due to calibre are the opposite to what your colleague told you though, you're much more likely to be severely wounded by a 5.56 than a 7.62. The 7.62 has a habit of just passing through and causing (comparatively) little permanent wound cavitation whilst the 5.56 was practically designed to cause serious cavitation with the bullet tending to fragment much quicker following entry than a 7.62.

Of course if either hits a major organ or artery you're pretty much out of luck.

Interestingly it looks like the US military will be moving over to a new 6.8mm cartridge, interesting to see if the rest of NATO does as the whole idea behind the 5.56 was interoperability of ammunition supplies and magazines.

Last edited:
Is Bellingcat still on the go? Seem to remember them being on the ball when the 2 Newcastle lads (John and Liam) were murdered.
Yeah they are still going strong.
Really? The tweets seemed knowledgable
Yeah was definatly a Mitty
SLR used a 7.62x51 which is different to the 7.62x39 the AK47 uses but for the purposes comparing the effects they're similar enough.

I'd say the effects due to calibre are the opposite to what your colleague told you though, you're much more likely to be severely wounded by a 5.56 than a 7.62. The 7.62 has a habit of just passing through and causing (comparatively) little permanent wound cavitation whilst the 5.56 was practically designed to cause serious cavitation with the bullet tending to fragment much quicker following entry than a 7.62.

Of course if either hits a major organ or artery you're pretty much out of luck.

Interestingly it looks like the US military will be moving over to a new 6.8mm cartridge, interesting to see if the rest of NATO does as the whole idea behind the 5.56 was interoperability of ammunition supplies and magazines.
The 6.8mm is likely because of modern armour plates being used by the likes of China. Great post btw.

Last edited:

it's also a horses for courses discussion (calibre, velocity and ammo choice)... 5.56 is fine at shorter ranges and but as you get over 600m (or so) you'd want to have a higher calibre/greater velocity round to have some impact.
I remember reading discusions from those who served in afghansitan saying that they would have preferred to have more longer range capability as they were facing incoming from 7.62 whilst firing back with 5.56 (personal weapons).
I have read that UK MOD are bringing a modified version of the SLR back into service to some degree. Not sure how true that is.

Back