Running thread 2021

See Sunderland Half and Durham 10k back on for June and July which is great to see. I've had a terrible few months with a persistant calf injury. Pain centrally near the top of the muscle. Lower leg goes completely numb after a couple of miles then pins and nedels. I've taken a few weeks off at times and its not helped. Felt stained by walking dog yesterday :( I'm getting more and more unfit and piling weight on so have to get back if i'm to attempt Manchester in October. Ordered compression cocks from Amazon. They arrived yesterday and they fit. Will attempt a run tomorrow after work and prey leg sorts itself out as out of ideas at present.
Oooo eeerrr

I started the year wanting to shift some weight so did dry jan and started running again, it has really helped break up the days when wfh, so been out in all weathers.

have overdone it and my right calf/Achilles is giving me some nagging pain, but 22lbs lighter, times are tumbling and distance increasing. I’ve decided I’d like to get 1600km (1,000miles in 2021). So far at 444km so well ahead on pace to date. Set new 10k (45:21) and 15k (1:15:25) PBs this week and ran a half marathon 1:46 for first time in 7/8 year.

Thing is I just tend to plod, aerobically I’m reasonably fit, resting heart rate is back under 50, but I have never made it under 1:40 for a half. Should I be doing different types of run to quicken the pace, or just keep doing more of the 10/12k a run, assuming I get progressively fitter by keeping on running / shifting more weight?

Bit gutted today. Was hoping I'd be able to run 11 miles and if I felt good push on to 12 maybe even 13.1. Felt a niggle in the lower part of my calf/achillies after about 2.5-3 miles and got slightly worse over the next mile so stopped. Haven't really pushed myself too hard this week either.

Always seems to happen when I'm getting close to where I want to be. But hoping the fact I stopped before it got too bad will go in my favour.

I started the year wanting to shift some weight so did dry jan and started running again, it has really helped break up the days when wfh, so been out in all weathers.

have overdone it and my right calf/Achilles is giving me some nagging pain, but 22lbs lighter, times are tumbling and distance increasing. I’ve decided I’d like to get 1600km (1,000miles in 2021). So far at 444km so well ahead on pace to date. Set new 10k (45:21) and 15k (1:15:25) PBs this week and ran a half marathon 1:46 for first time in 7/8 year.

Thing is I just tend to plod, aerobically I’m reasonably fit, resting heart rate is back under 50, but I have never made it under 1:40 for a half. Should I be doing different types of run to quicken the pace, or just keep doing more of the 10/12k a run, assuming I get progressively fitter by keeping on running / shifting more weight?

I’m aiming to get down to your kind of times, typically when I’m training for races I’ll run 5/6 times a week.

Monday - nowt
Tuesday - 4/5 easy miles
Wednesday - intervals, session 5/6 miles in total
Thursday - 4/5 easy miles
Friday - either ‘dry land’ which is a HIIT session, or a hill session, 4 miles ish
Saturday - hills if I didn’t do them Friday or a gentle 4/5 miles
Sunday - long run

That generally keeps my weight going down and my pace improving, depending what you’re training for of course.

Not been on here for a while, had an injury hit start to the year. Strained my QL muscle, was like getting kicked in the gut every time I moved. Not something I want to do again . . . have a good few weeks running under my belt now and looking forward to some racing from April onwards 🤞🏻

3 key sessions a week. Intervals, tempo, long run. All other running should be easy.

Wish that was my plod :lol:

Run at least 3 times a week. 1 interval run (speed), 1 hills, 1 longer steady run. For a starter.
If you go out and do the same things over and over you probably won’t find much improvement.

You could go on that route and use the fartlek method or run timed intervals etc, that sort of thing helps with overall pace, all depends what you want out of it really.
Went for my first interval run this morning and my average pace has gone from 8.54 to 8.29 a mile!

Thanks for the tip 👌🏻

Am I right in thinking an interval run is something like run 1km, walk for a few minutes, x5 or whatever?
could be anything from 100m to 2 miles. depends what you're doing. a couple of standard ones i do is 16 x 400m on the track with 60 seconds recovery. 8 x 800m with 90 seconds recovery. always include a warm up and cool down.

Got 3 canny sore blisters from new trainers, dying to get out but havnt since sunday, any suggestions how to best cover them?

Got 3 canny sore blisters from new trainers, dying to get out but havnt since sunday, any suggestions how to best cover them?

I usually just cover them in Vaseline and get cracking, a mate of mine (ex army) pops them and pisses on them, he reckons that sorts them no bother, I’ve never tried that method, new shoes too tight?

I usually just cover them in Vaseline and get cracking, a mate of mine (ex army) pops them and pisses on them, he reckons that sorts them no bother, I’ve never tried that method, new shoes too tight?
Will try that cheers mate if that doesn’t work will try the vaseline! Aye forked out on some new nikes, hopefully just need time to break in

Will try that cheers mate if that doesn’t work will try the vaseline! Aye forked out on some new nikes, hopefully just need time to break in
I just crack on when i get blisters, accept and try to enjoy the pain. I've not had a pair which give me blisters which after a week or so haven't been fine.

Currently got a pair of NB Fuelcells which rip a hole on join between foot and leg every time i wear them due to tongue slipping down shoe. But be aware in past I had a blister which kept getting knocked off on my toe, done a XC race, next thing I thought it was gonna explode, twice the size, turned septic, needed antibiotics. Just be careful if starts going redder!

Got Gateshead Half Marathon rescheduled for May 30th, Sunderland 10K booked for June and Stamfordham 10K for July. Looking forward to getting back to events again.

Back