Running thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in what your diets are like? I've started looking at myFitnessPal against the calories burned on my Garman, and I know that its not exact science but most days I'm about 600 calories remaining, and when I did my 15 mile on Friday I had 2000 remaining. I'm not too worried as my weight seems steady but wonder if this is holding me back.
Mine is pretty abysmal to be honest. Not too bad during the week.

Just started running properly for the first time ever. Never did any of it before, not since school anyway.

I'm 33 and have kind of wasted a lot of adult life not being active enough playing enough sports etc, which is obviously I regret.

Anyway not surprisingly I'm shockingly unfit. Just ran a mile earlier in the evening, that's all I could do, before I pant out.

Still did that in 9 minutes. :(

Embarressing I know. But I have to start somewhere. I'm aware there's a couch to 3k guide by the NHS for beginners. Think I'll just keep running the mile for now and add half a mile each week or so. Then I'll register for a parkrun, get it under 30 mins, then under 25 and then long term under 20, if I somehow ever manage to do that I'll feel like a f***ing champion.

I'd like to keep running up as a hobby for life, I have to start looking after myself or I know I'm going to pay for it in my 50s/60s.

Last edited:
We all start somewhere Shatp Shooter, you’ll be amazed how fast you improve if you do some structured training within your limits. Plenty advice out there or try the beginners class at the Strollers or join a club. All levels catered for.

Just started running properly for the first time ever. Never did any of it before, not since school anyway.

I'm 33 and have kind of wasted a lot of adult life not being active enough playing enough sports etc, which is obviously I regret.

Anyway not surprisingly I'm shockingly unfit. Just ran a mile earlier in the evening, that's all I could do, before I pant out.

Embarressing I know. But I have to start somewhere. I'm aware there's a couch to 3k guide by the NHS for beginners. Think I'll just keep running the mile for now and add half a mile each week or so. Then I'll register for a parkrun, get it under 30 mins, then under 25 and then long term under 20, if I somehow ever manage to do that I'll feel like a f***ing champion.

I'd like to keep running up as a hobby for life, I have to start looking after myself or I know I'm going to pay for it in my 50s/60s.

I was in exactly the same position as you last January mate.

My first Parkrun last year was 32 minutes, my fastest one ended up being under 23 minutes.

Similar with 10k, I knocked over 10 minutes off my PB for that too.

Amazing what comes just with getting out 3 times a week.

Hey @Sharpshooter , I started running in April last year and was in a very similar situation. It’s true that you will see quite quick improvements if you get out consistently - I think it’s important to know that you’re not unique in the situation you’re in, almost everybody I know entered running in the same situation and the way people seem like good runners to you now is because they stuck at it & above some more specific advice that is the main thing...keep going!!

I always recommend David goggins to people for mental and physical motivation, but your current situation is actually a replica of how he got started and changed his life around so his book “Can’t hurt Me” (available audio too) is a great source of inspiration...has anybody else listened to this guy btw?? Incredible his ultra running achievements from nothing.

As for me I managed 8 easy miles this morning after 1 hr15 on the elliptical yesterday too, I think I am recovered but we will see on Saturday when I go for a longer run.
Here’s the David Goggins podcast with Joe Rogan. The whole thing I think is brilliant but his introduction to running is just before 38 minutes.

Last edited:

No one should ever feel embarrassed about running. Doing something is far better than doing nothing.

Couch to 5K is a great place to start. Once you can finish a 5K without stopping slowly build up a little more. It becomes addictive as your fitness gets better.

Best of luck, keep posting about it on here.

Last edited:
I think so. I'm not built for this course, especially if it's boggy.

Speaking to some of the lads last night and they were saying this is tough, I’ve been struggling with cold all week as well but I’m still managing reasonable distance so I’ll plod through it.

Reactions: D.A
Speaking to some of the lads last night and they were saying this is tough, I’ve been struggling with cold all week as well but I’m still managing reasonable distance so I’ll plod through it.
It'll make you better. Want to see a copy off my Garmin?

Check out my running activity on Garmin Connect. #beatyesterday

I was ill all of January and had a fortnight in thailand getting pissed, it wasn't my finest race.

I expect that’s still faster than I’ll manage it Sunday! It is quite hilly that but I usually cope with those quite well, it’s the flat I’ve got no pace on at the minute!

EDIT - the weather forecast for Sunday is disgusting as well!

Reactions: D.A

Nowt to be embarrassed about there marra. You ran 9 mins faster & a mile further than everyone sat on the couch. Worrying about your speed is the quickest way to injury when you're starting out. Build up your distance at a slow pace until you're happy with how far you can run. You'll be surprised at how much quicker you'll be able to run without even doing any speed work just by having that solid aerobic base.

Back on it!

Hardly ran last year as I was quite poorly and had two major abdominal operations. Womens troubles so I'll spare you the gory details! Had a hysterectomy to cure it, I'm settled on HRT meds now and my crohns is in remission, so fingers crossed I can stay healthy this year.

Been out tonight and managed to run just over three miles at an easy pace. Felt good doing it and managed better than I thought I would.

Booked up for the Dalton Park 10k 1st March, be a nice morning run before heading out for the Coventry game. Theres a new HM event coming in Gateshead this April, looks like it could be a good one, PB potential.

Back on it!

Hardly ran last year as I was quite poorly and had two major abdominal operations. Womens troubles so I'll spare you the gory details! Had a hysterectomy to cure it, I'm settled on HRT meds now and my crohns is in remission, so fingers crossed I can stay healthy this year.

Been out tonight and managed to run just over three miles at an easy pace. Felt good doing it and managed better than I thought I would.

Cracking Becs, well done. My crohns is also behaving which is cracking, I came off the aziathoprine in August and so far so good!

Cracking Becs, well done. My crohns is also behaving which is cracking, I came off the aziathoprine in August and so far so good!

That's brilliant news :D

I'm tapering on the azathioprine. I'm down to two thirds of my dose and feel ok, so will probably drop another third when I'm seen again next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back