Running Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a random question here, but has anyone here ever experienced a genuine runners high? Quite often I get a general good feeling from a run, but from descriptions I've read it sounds like a whole other level of euphoria you experience when you get runners high, just curious.

Last edited:

Well I have been on and off poorly for 3 month and have not ran half as much as I would of liked to, docs have me having ibs, went for my 1st run in 3 weeks today a nice easy 3 mile, gears hoping the tablets they have give me work and I can get back into the groove

Since I've started again in May I haven't hunted a fast time in anything , just miles. I ran a 10k tonight along the sea front from Whitburn park to St Peters metro and back in 47:25 which included a 5k at 23:31. They're both PR's since I started again. I am happy with that and wonder what 5k best I could put out now if I went all out. There was room for improvement on the overall time too, but not much.

Gym workout tomorrow and then a long run on Saturday.
Just a random question here, but has anyone here ever experienced a genuine runners high? Quite often I get a general good feeling from a run, but from descriptions I've read it sounds like a whole other level of euphoria you experience when you get runners high, just curious.
I've not been elated, but I have found myself talking shit out loud when I am near the end of a longer run. Just motivational stuff to myself. Nice feeling.

Last edited:

It’s not at the end for me, it’s during. I love the feeling when I start to bed into a long run, usually 2 miles in or so, clears my mind instantly and everything feels right with the world.

When things are going well, you feel toppa.

The body releases endorphins iirc that can give you a happy feeling, plus I think that natural painkillers are also released.

The only runners high I’ve experienced was after sprinting up a long shallow hill and I did some ‘rocky balboa’ jumps at the top of some steps at the end.

Last edited:

I do occasionally but it tends to be within a fairly narrow combination of pace & distance. About 8 miles into a 10 mile run at just below threshold pace about 3/4 of the way through a training cycle is the most likely to trigger it for me.

My aim today was to run for 2 hours at a slow ‘talking’ pace to gauge whether I could last a half marathon distance.

I hit ‘the wall’ at about 1h 30 and my legs wanted to stop moving. I continued for another 20 minutes but I stopped as I thought that I’d do myself some damage.

I don’t think that I ate enough carbs over the past few days and all I ate today was some porridge about 2 hours before.
I did 2 hours today.

Lessons learned:

I am shite in humid conditions

Ration water supply, I had a 500ml bottle but I only started to drink from it at the hour mark as I drank plenty before.

Take a carb supply. I started to eat a banana after 45 mins and spread it out until about 1h 15 then at 1h 30 I ate some jelly babies.

Loads of races going on today, Jelly Tea, Beaches and Bays 10k, Dalton Park 10k, haven’t done any racing today but wish I had been.

Ran a steady half marathon training run this morning, picked a reasonably hilly route and got through it in 2:06, didn’t push at any stage so I was quite pleased with that.

Hope everyone racing has done well!
Anyone do the Dalton park 10k today? Was much harder than I thought it was going to be.

Didn’t notice this, it’s a bit of an odd course by the looks of it, did the wind help or hinder?

Loads of races going on today, Jelly Tea, Beaches and Bays 10k, Dalton Park 10k, haven’t done any racing today but wish I had been.

Ran a steady half marathon training run this morning, picked a reasonably hilly route and got through it in 2:06, didn’t push at any stage so I was quite pleased with that.

Hope everyone racing has done well!

Didn’t notice this, it’s a bit of an odd course by the looks of it, did the wind help or hinder?

Bit of both running against the wind was a nightmare but running with it wasn't too bad.

Had you cycled all the way up that hill this morning?? I normally avoid it on my runs. . . as you could see by me heading down :)
Yes 😥😥😥 doing a hilly triathlon in the lakes next month so went on a hilly route. I knew I would have seen you in blackhill

Yes 😥😥😥 doing a hilly triathlon in the lakes next month so went on a hilly route. I knew I would have seen you in blackhill
It’s a steep climb like, I’ve never been brave enough to run it all from bottom to top.

You nearly didn’t see me, alarm was set 7am but didn’t get out the house till 9.

You must cycle a few miles if you’re heading up my way? Nice and downhill on the way back though I guess ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back