Running A Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to do this 5k Facebook thing tonight. I’ve done 3.8m & 4.25m recently, so I’m going to try & knock this 5k in at a bit of a better pace than I normally do. The 3.8m & 4.25m have averaged about 9:20 mins per mile. Getting that under 9:00 mins per mile won’t be a problem I don’t reckon. Is 8:30 mins per mile pushing it?

I’m going to do this 5k Facebook thing tonight. I’ve done 3.8m & 4.25m recently, so I’m going to try & knock this 5k in at a bit of a better pace than I normally do. The 3.8m & 4.25m have averaged about 9:20 mins per mile. Getting that under 9:00 mins per mile won’t be a problem I don’t reckon. Is 8:30 mins per mile pushing it?
Ive just done it this morning. 8.45 mins per mile. Being 17.5 stone doesnt help :)

I'm one of those who just started running again since lock down. Enjoying it but I'm so slow and get knackered in the first few minutes.

50 seconds a mile is a big chunk

I’ve never done a solitary mile flat out but I have done a few 4:40 - 4:50 miles within races. I’d like to think I could run one in 4:30 ish (67 sec laps). I might try over next couple of weeks.

seen something on Facebook encouraging runners to do a Geronimo (fully downhill) mile. Couldn’t be arsed with that, I hate running fast downhill. Feel like my knees are going to break
That would be hell doing a mile downhill at full pelt, I would not be able to run for a week if I did that, shins,quads,calf’s and ankles would all just give me a big F off for a week at least

50 seconds a mile is a big chunk
Disaster. 2.91km in, exactly 14mins on the clock, 4:48min/km, feeling pretty good, felt a twinge in my right calf. Was probably about the furthest away from home as I could have been on the route, knew I shouldn’t keep running, walked back gently stretching it out. It wasn’t right, but was loosening up. Went very tight now. Canny pissed off.

Disaster. 2.91km in, exactly 14mins on the clock, 4:48min/km, feeling pretty good, felt a twinge in my right calf. Was probably about the furthest away from home as I could have been on the route, knew I shouldn’t keep running, walked back gently stretching it out. It wasn’t right, but was loosening up. Went very tight now. Canny pissed off.
Stretch and foam roll. You probably went too quick too soon.

Join the strava club on here, helps get me motivated to get out seeing others out running, mind some do amazing times and distances compared to me!

Don't worry about times for running a distance, just build up the miles (or less) and concentrate on just finishing what you set out to achieve, be it 1/2 a mile or 2 miles. Too many people these days look at how fast they've run a mile or 5 miles and take out the enjoyment. I'm 53, been running for 40 years, did 21 consecutive great north runs and have never once thought about time, just enjoyment.

Seeing how fast I can run a mile is definitely something I'd like to do. My shortest run is pretty much 5 miles (very occasionally do a 5k) but an average week will be a couple of 5 miles and a longer (8-13) miles on a weekend, so I'm always pacing myself somewhat. At the moment I'm averaging around 7.55/mile when running 5, and about 8.30 for a half marathon, but I'd love to just go out and leg it for a mile :)

@D.A posted some training ideas on FB for improving your mile time, which i'm going to try over the next few weeks. maybe he will copy them here.

From Aly Dixon.

Anyone looking to try and improve their mile time give a couple of these sessions a go. Only do one a week ideally 3 days after your long run. You can programme them into most Garmins to tell you when the distances/recoveries are up:

a.) 8 x 400m (60s rest).

b.) 5 x 600m (2 min rest).

c.) 4 x 800m (5 min rest).

d.) 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m with half distance jog recoveries.

e.) 1000m, (10 min rest), 2x500m (4 min rest), 3x300m (60s rest).

Run all your reps at your goal mile pace so if you want to run a 7min mile your 400m time should be 1.44. Etc. Obviously the flatter your route the better.
You can also try adding 6 x 10-15s faster than mile pace at the end of one of your easy runs. Give yourself 90s recovery between each sprint. HINT: use a very gentle downhill to help to get the legs turning fast.

From Aly Dixon.

Anyone looking to try and improve their mile time give a couple of these sessions a go. Only do one a week ideally 3 days after your long run. You can programme them into most Garmins to tell you when the distances/recoveries are up:

a.) 8 x 400m (60s rest).

b.) 5 x 600m (2 min rest).

c.) 4 x 800m (5 min rest).

d.) 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m with half distance jog recoveries.

e.) 1000m, (10 min rest), 2x500m (4 min rest), 3x300m (60s rest).

Run all your reps at your goal mile pace so if you want to run a 7min mile your 400m time should be 1.44. Etc. Obviously the flatter your route the better.
You can also try adding 6 x 10-15s faster than mile pace at the end of one of your easy runs. Give yourself 90s recovery between each sprint. HINT: use a very gentle downhill to help to get the legs turning fast.
So for example, do 8x 400m runs with 60 secs rest in between each lap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back