Running A Mile

What’s considered a decent time for an average 30 odd year old.

Nee 5aside, or gym classes, I’ve took to running a little bit. Got 4.25 mile in on Saturday, was canny, I’ll be able to bump that up bit by bit.

But tried to see how fast I could do a mile in today. Fuck me it was hard. After I felt a bit coronavirusy, felt like I had sandpaper running down my throat. Luckily I know from high intensity stuff like 5aside that it’s just loss of fitness, I’ve been there before after injury/Christmas/holidays etc.

Anyhow, I was expecting Roger Bannister type times, but I was surprised with how long it actually took.

The link above is the kind of thing you’re after. That said a mile isn’t an easy distance to run hard and if that’s your first go, you’ll probably be able to go much faster having learnt from that one and by doing some training slowly slightly different, the most obvious example off the top of my head would be 400m hard effort followed by 400m recovery x 5 reps. If you mix that sort of work in with your normal training you’ll see things improve.

The link above is the kind of thing you’re after. That said a mile isn’t an easy distance to run hard and if that’s your first go, you’ll probably be able to go much faster having learnt from that one and by doing some training slowly slightly different, the most obvious example off the top of my head would be 400m hard effort followed by 400m recovery x 5 reps. If you mix that sort of work in with your normal training you’ll see things improve.
I think I will improve with experience & tactics like. I took off canny fast, on a slight incline & got a few hundred yards in & thought “fuck me, this is hard!”. It’s a 0.25mile path, so back & forth 4 times. The slight incline isn’t great, but it just means I’m not running across junctions & stuff on the road.

Anyhow, 7:19, which gives me an age grading of 51.24% for a 36 year old on that site, which I’m guessing is slightly better or worse than average.
I'm doing a mile farmers walk each day carrying 10 kg on dumbbell s it's a great way to improve stamina...
That 5kg in each hand?

I think I will improve with experience & tactics like. I took off canny fast, on a slight incline & got a few hundred yards in & thought “fuck me, this is hard!”. It’s a 0.25mile path, so back & forth 4 times. The slight incline isn’t great, but it just means I’m not running across junctions & stuff on the road.

Anyhow, 7:19, which gives me an age grading of 51.24% for a 36 year old on that site, which I’m guessing is slightly better or worse than average.

That 5kg in each hand?

I’ve just had a look at mine for a comparison, I ran a PB of 6:48 10 days ago, I’m 33 so that gives me a score of 62.18% but the short stuff really isn’t good for me, I seem to improve the further I run.

My best (as a 46 year old) is 6 minutes on an undulating pavement route. I’d like to attempt it on a proper track.

It’s hard work, basically a very long sprint for me.

Nee 5aside, or gym classes, I’ve took to running a little bit. Got 4.25 mile in on Saturday, was canny, I’ll be able to bump that up bit by bit.

But tried to see how fast I could do a mile in today. Fuck me it was hard. After I felt a bit coronavirusy, felt like I had sandpaper running down my throat. Luckily I know from high intensity stuff like 5aside that it’s just loss of fitness, I’ve been there before after injury/Christmas/holidays etc.

Anyhow, I was expecting Roger Bannister type times, but I was surprised with how long it actually took.
I think you should be getting under 7.

Age-grading: 69.51%

Your time of 5:21 for 1 mile as a 31 year old male yields an age-grading percentage of 69.51%

When I first read that I thought you had managed a 4 min 25 seconds mile.

When I first read that I thought you had managed a 4 min 25 seconds mile.
I did ;)
I think you should be getting under 7.

Age-grading: 69.51%

Your time of 5:21 for 1 mile as a 31 year old male yields an age-grading percentage of 69.51%
I’ll get there I’m sure. Didn’t really know what to expect today. Might of lost a few seconds spinning round as well

Last edited:
I did ;)

I’ll get there I’m sure. Didn’t really know what to expect today. Might of lost a few seconds spinning round as well

I reckon I'd find doing a sprint type mile from a standing start hard. My first mile usually has be nackered then I seem to recover. Not sure why that happens like.

That 5kg in each hand?
Yes mate
i made a 40 metre track in my back garden... I can either do the farmers walk or rucking... It's a bit small for running so I go out for 30min trot them train in the garden... Neighbours think I'm mad but I really enjoy it... Will carry on with it after lockdown is over as it is a good addition to my running...

Last edited:
I’ve never done a solitary mile flat out but I have done a few 4:40 - 4:50 miles within races. I’d like to think I could run one in 4:30 ish (67 sec laps). I might try over next couple of weeks.

seen something on Facebook encouraging runners to do a Geronimo (fully downhill) mile. Couldn’t be arsed with that, I hate running fast downhill. Feel like my knees are going to break

I’ve never done a solitary mile flat out but I have done a few 4:40 - 4:50 miles within races. I’d like to think I could run one in 4:30 ish (67 sec laps). I might try over next couple of weeks.

seen something on Facebook encouraging runners to do a Geronimo (fully downhill) mile. Couldn’t be arsed with that, I hate running fast downhill. Feel like my knees are going to break
Knack your quads too. I would love it.

Last edited:

Sometimes I run slower downhill than I do up......just can't loosen my body running downhill and lean back too much

Back