Rum Recommendations

Maybe, aye. But its just a present really. Something to try, and then to have a nice strong rum n coke with.
Its nice to try something new.

Thanks for the advise, I'll have a look at those 3-4 now

Stuck the Mount Gay XO and the Eldorado in my Amazon basket. That's another problem solved. Thanks :)

Was trying to think of the name of Mount Gay. The XO looks good enough to drink neat but the bog standard one is a good option with coke or ginger ale.

I cannot recommend Ron Barceló Imperial highly enough. I was given a bottle for Christmas last year by my BiL and I'd finished it before my holidays had finished. So he gave me another one to take home with me. :D

Straight, no ice, and it is smooth as hell.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/rum/dark-rum/dominican-rum/ron-barcelo/imperial-rum/?srh=1

£30 on a bottle of rum to put coke in? Seems a waste to mix anything better than Havana Club/Appleton type rums. The nicer ones are a bit more subtle so better drunk neat.

Agree with that sentiment. Like when I see people putting single malt whisky into cocktails. The overwhelming taste will come from the other ingredients, so why overspend on the spirit?

With gin it is more understandeable as gin cocktails are usually a bit more subtle than just drowing it with Coca-Cola, so it makes more of a difference.

Last edited:
Agree with that sentiment. Like when I see people putting single malt whisky into cocktails. The overwhelming taste will come from the other ingredients, so why overspend on the spirit?

With gin it is more understandeable as gin cocktails are usually a bit more subtle than just drowing it with Coca-Cola, so it makes more of a difference.

Not to mention that even expensive gins tend to be quite unpleasant to drink neat.

I cannot recommend Ron Barceló Imperial highly enough.
I do get it - we'll probably have some neat / with a touch of ice, and some with coke - we like it quite strong even with coke though.

She wants to try some different rums, and I can't think of owt to buy her for her birthday AND Xmas 3 days f***ing later - so 3 bottles of £30 rum & half of the problem is gone! :lol:

So these 3: Unless anyone thinks I've got one wrong?

I do get it - we'll probably have some neat / with a touch of ice, and some with coke - we like it quite strong even with coke though.

She wants to try some different rums, and I can't think of owt to buy her for her birthday AND Xmas 3 days f***ing later - so 3 bottles of £30 rum & half of the problem is gone! :lol:

I'm not particularly protective about rum like I am about whisky, so if mixing a 30 quid rum with coke keeps your missus happy, then by all means fire away. :D

I'm not particularly protective about rum like I am about whisky, so if mixing a 30 quid rum with coke keeps your missus happy, then by all means fire away. :D
If anyone tried to put coffee in my single malt, is kick them out of my house lol

Should I be looking to get 3 bottles at about £20 instead, if that's more sensible?

If anyone tried to put coffee in my single malt, is kick them out of my house lol

Should I be looking to get 3 bottles at about £20 instead, if that's more sensible?

I’d definitely get at least one or two of the 3 in the list so you can enjoy it neat. Then maybe one a bit less for mixing.

Look up Dark Matter spiced rum. I had a bottle & its not for everyone but I really rated it. Really heavily spiced, almost chilli rum but worth a look if you want owt unusual.

When Sailor Jerries changed the recipe 6 or 7 years ago I bought the last of the old stock from Rehills. The original stuff with the lovely lovely vanilla flavour. Still got a few litres. Make a good xmas present. PM me if you want to make me an offer for a bottle.

I've decided to have a little slurp of Havana 7 in tribute to this thread.
Might join you

They will be fine but I wouldn't miss the diplomatico

Back