1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rum Recommendations

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Wayne The Punk, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Hammer

Hammer Winger

Was trying to think of the name of Mount Gay. The XO looks good enough to drink neat but the bog standard one is a good option with coke or ginger ale.

2. I cannot recommend Ron Barceló Imperial highly enough. I was given a bottle for Christmas last year by my BiL and I'd finished it before my holidays had finished. So he gave me another one to take home with me. :D

Straight, no ice, and it is smooth as hell.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/rum/rum/dark-rum/dominican-rum/ron-barcelo/imperial-rum/?srh=1

Agree with that sentiment. Like when I see people putting single malt whisky into cocktails. The overwhelming taste will come from the other ingredients, so why overspend on the spirit?

With gin it is more understandeable as gin cocktails are usually a bit more subtle than just drowing it with Coca-Cola, so it makes more of a difference.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    PTR likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Winger

Not to mention that even expensive gins tend to be quite unpleasant to drink neat.

4. PTR

PTR Striker

I do get it - we'll probably have some neat / with a touch of ice, and some with coke - we like it quite strong even with coke though.

She wants to try some different rums, and I can't think of owt to buy her for her birthday AND Xmas 3 days fucking later - so 3 bottles of £30 rum & half of the problem is gone! :lol:

So these 3: Unless anyone thinks I've got one wrong?

TartanMackem likes this.
  5. I'm not particularly protective about rum like I am about whisky, so if mixing a 30 quid rum with coke keeps your missus happy, then by all means fire away. :D

6. Mackem Al

Mackem Al Central Defender

Captain Morgans with Pepsi Ginger, a dash of lime cordial and a few ice cubes. Lovely.

7. PTR

PTR Striker

If anyone tried to put coffee in my single malt, is kick them out of my house lol

Should I be looking to get 3 bottles at about £20 instead, if that's more sensible?

8. I’d definitely get at least one or two of the 3 in the list so you can enjoy it neat. Then maybe one a bit less for mixing.

9. PTR

PTR Striker

Swap the XO for the black barrel?

I know its cheap, but its absolutely rank stuff. I can't stand it. I buy supermarket own brand over it.

Black Cat Gypsy likes this.
  10. Old Prestonian

Old Prestonian Striker

11. PTR

PTR Striker

Old Prestonian likes this.
  12. Funnily enough was just about to post as I bought a bottle at the weekend and am currently working my way through it neat. Very nice.

Old Prestonian likes this.
  13. Suomifinland

Suomifinland Goalkeeper

Look up Dark Matter spiced rum. I had a bottle & its not for everyone but I really rated it. Really heavily spiced, almost chilli rum but worth a look if you want owt unusual.

14. RichD

RichD Striker

Woods 100%

15. Sneech

Sneech Striker

Just bought some mount gay, appleton and S Club 7 or summat

16. dom

dom Winger

Lambs!

17. Old Prestonian

Old Prestonian Striker

I've decided to have a little slurp of Havana 7 in tribute to this thread.

18. Sykes The Pop Man

Sykes The Pop Man Central Defender

When Sailor Jerries changed the recipe 6 or 7 years ago I bought the last of the old stock from Rehills. The original stuff with the lovely lovely vanilla flavour. Still got a few litres. Make a good xmas present. PM me if you want to make me an offer for a bottle.

19. Skandhaless

Skandhaless Striker

Might join you

They will be fine but I wouldn't miss the diplomatico