RSPB Garden Birdwatch

Just had one on the apple tree in our garden. First time I've ever seen one round here. Lovely bird to look at.

Logon or register to see this image
I get them occasionally. I often see them cycling through the woods to work*. Beautiful birds.

I really like chaffinches and used to have loads visit the garden, but numbers have really fallen in the last couple of years. Although only a couple of miles away, there are loads in the woods at the minute. Apparently they are still one of the most common birds in the country, I guess they just don't like my garden these days.

Edit: Clarification - I'm doing the cycling, not the jays. Too many pedantic twats on here ;)

Feed them at work to brighten a shite view and had great success. Blue Tit, Great Tit, stacks of Goldfinch, up to 30 at a time, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Keith the Pheasant, Gillian his wife and 6 kids, dirty mags, Sparrowhawk.

Unfortunately we've now got some baby rats coming as well, the goldfinches make too much mess.

Feed them at work to brighten a shite view and had great success. Blue Tit, Great Tit, stacks of Goldfinch, up to 30 at a time, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Keith the Pheasant, Gillian his wife and 6 kids, dirty mags, Sparrowhawk.

Unfortunately we've now got some baby rats coming as well, the goldfinches make too much mess.
I had a Harris Hawk outside my window at work yesterday. We have the odd rat, rabbits digging into the foundations and seagulls trying to nest on the roof. A bloke comes round once a week and flies his hawk around, brilliant to see. You can tell he is about, we all feel like Dr Dolittle as we understand the particular seagull call for "Fuck, there is a Harris Hawk about".

I get them occasionally. I often see them cycling through the woods to work*. Beautiful birds.

I really like chaffinches and used to have loads visit the garden, but numbers have really fallen in the last couple of years. Although only a couple of miles away, there are loads in the woods at the minute. Apparently they are still one of the most common birds in the country, I guess they just don't like my garden these days.

Edit: Clarification - I'm doing the cycling, not the jays. Too many pedantic twats on here ;)

The woodland sentry duty.
A very clever bird and when you know their calls and behaviour they are quite remarkable. They will spot danger and let the woodland know to be wary of an intruder.
Great example once I was shooting and had a hide, heard this Jay distance away calling out. Right away I knew something was about. Minutes later a lady walking through the woodland perimeter with a small dog.
Get the odd one in the garden eating nuts. Lovely plumage and the blue feathers have been known to be used in making flys for fishing.

Back