RSPB Garden Birdwatch

Too many bloody cats in our street, they scare most birds away, apart from Magpies who keep tantalizing the gats, brazen twats.

Last edited:
Our garden is wick with Magpies and grey squirrels so small birds are few and far between.
See the odd tit and Robin and that's about it.

Get yourself an air rifle and help nature along.
Anyone else doing it?

What have you spotted so far?

Sparrows
Blue tits
Great tits
Starlings
Coal tits
Blackbirds
Collared doves
Wood pigeons
Robins
Wrens
Magpies

Nice one.
Long tailed Tits, nuthatches and Bull finches in the garden today.
Cost me a fortune feeding every day but love watching them.

Last edited:
Did the survey and had 15 species in the garden during the hour, which I am very pleased with. They all seem to like the sunflower hearts the best, even the goldfinches eat that instead of the niger seeds that I used to put out.

Did the survey and had 15 species in the garden during the hour, which I am very pleased with. They all seem to like the sunflower hearts the best, even the goldfinches eat that instead of the niger seeds that I used to put out.

Weirdly goldfinches have indeed shown a recent preference for sunflower hearts over niger seeds nationwide. Its the house sparrows that eat all the niger seed I leave out now.

My main aim currently is to sequester a flock of long tailed tits in my garden. Love them.
Same here. But childhood guilts playing a bigger part in my bird feeding habit every winter.......and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Yeah if I'm honest I probably overdo it. They've had suet blocks, fat balls and those suet berry pellets over the whole of winter.

But to be fair to me its attracted mice as well and I now hear an owl every night, so I think that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Weirdly goldfinches have indeed shown a recent preference for sunflower hearts over niger seeds nationwide. Its the house sparrows that eat all the niger seed I leave out now.

My main aim currently is to sequester a flock of long tailed tits in my garden. Love them.

Yeah if I'm honest I probably overdo it. They've had suet blocks, fat balls and those suet berry pellets over the whole of winter.

But to be fair to me its attracted mice as well and I now hear an owl every night, so I think that's a good thing.
We have a little flock of long-tailed tits flit in and out from time to time. Interesting little critters. They go mad for the cobwebs on the outside of the windows come spring.

We have a little flock of long-tailed tits flit in and out from time to time. Interesting little critters. They go mad for the cobwebs on the outside of the windows come spring.

There's a flock that skips along the trees at the back of my house but only a couple that come down to feed at a time. Really wish they'd all come.

I get dormice and field mice that pop round and hoover all the bits up under the bird feeder :D

I saw a happy mouse once. The bairn had dropped a biscuit and it was sitting up munching an Oreo and grinning away :lol:

Back