RR Podcast: With Paul Reid & Charlie Methven - submit your questions/topics to discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek: I'm going to have to give this another listen I think. Did he definitely say that Parkinson consolidated Colchester in the championship? I believe he did, but could be wrong. If he did, that is a canny lie to make mind, and it can't be a mistake considering they have just hired Parkinson.

he certainly did.

An easy mistake to make though given the extensive referencing Methven personally carried out (even though he then said he doesn’t really get involved with the football side of things apart being able to have a word).

Parkinson has never really successfully managed a club in the second tier. He did well to keep Bolton up a season but that’s the extent of his success there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Some of the criticisms of RR are way over the top. They're unpaid volunteers doing something many of us would love to do and used their initiative to get Donald on the podcast in the first place. An owner doing regular podcasts with the fans was unprecedented, and the podcasts with SD are usually excellent. And the first podcasts they did where it was a couple of lads talking about football and wrestling were (in the nicest possible way) utter shite - they've come a long way in a short space of time.

Some constructive criticism though. When RR first started out they were very vocal about local journalists not challenging Short and just accepting the narrative set by the club, but the website seems to have headed that way since they got access to Donald, and especially since the summer since people started to question him. I'm sure it's not their intention, but the attitude towards critics of the owners in the summer felt very condescending. It came across more like the club's PR line rather than a fanzine.

And the latest podcast is essentially a multi millionaire PR guru telling fans what he wants them to hear. Not sure what you could have done about it as he's very intelligent, but my advice would be to be very wary of Methven. Its an uncomfortable listen as it feels as though he's played you and used you to control his narrative. Appreciate it's difficult when you're sat opposite in a studio in front of a live mic, but I don't think I'll bother listening to anymore with him as it's just PR spin like what Bain used to do with the Echo.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Couldn't agree more. Fair play to the RR team for getting up and doing it, and providing a service for fans. But don't lose that editorial line. Be fans, not the club's PR arm.

he certainly did.

An easy mistake to make though given the extensive referencing Methven personally carried out (even though he then said he doesn’t really get involved with the football side of things apart being able to have a word).

Parkinson has never really successfully managed a club in the second tier. He did well to keep Bolton up a season but that’s the extent of his success there.
Found the quote on the podcast. It was his 3rd point, following the point about telling us all again we are in league 1, no point in appointing manager that you think will do a job in the Championship, you got to get their first.

Around the 42 minute mark.

The quote was 'show me a manager that can make colchester United safe in the championship, and i' ll show you a pretty special manager.'

Well that wasn't Parkinson Charlie, he got them promoted then fucked off to Hull and left within 6 months.

From the 42nd minute

Found the quote on the podcast. It was his 3rd point, following the point about telling us all again we are in league 1, no point in appointing manager that you think will do a job in the Championship, you got to get their first.

The quote was 'show me a manager that can make colchester United safe in the championship, and i' ll show you a pretty special manager.'

Well that wasn't Parkinson Charlie, he got them promoted then fucked off to Hull and left within 6 months.

From the 42nd minute

PR man!
I bet Donald listened to it with his head in his hands.

Last edited:
PR man!

The Championship comment and about getting out this league shows the short term thinking of those running the club. Again seemingly demonstrates no strategy, no plan.

3 clubs who have gone from league 1 to the Premiership in recent years had the same manager throughout that time. Adkins at Southampton, Pearson at Leicester, and Wilder Sheffield United.

It doesn't show Methven in a good light though; he was either deliberately making it up in order to make Parkinson sound good, which is misleading, or he thought it was true in which case you'd have to question just how thorough these great references were!
I think it was Charlie who said we beat a Championship club to sogn Jack Ross as manager which had me wondering which Championship team were so desperate to sign a manager from the Scottish Second Division.

His patter is best taken under advisement.
"18 months of arse-kissing.... ruined!"

"It'll be alright darling"

"Silence stripper wife!"

Last edited:
Felt utterly depressed after listening to that podcast.

Thought CM went a bit overboard about the abuse, saying Short, Murray, Cowie etc. all had it, giving the impression it just happens at Sunderland, and it effects potential investment. Investors just want to know how much money they are going to make and when. Yes, it's never acceptable but he was going on like they are the only two people that have experienced it in their working lives. They surely must have expected it, or are they just totally naive.

And he definitely reads these boards.

The Championship comment and about getting out this league shows the short term thinking of those running the club. Again seemingly demonstrates no strategy, no plan.

3 clubs who have gone from league 1 to the Premiership in recent years had the same manager throughout that time. Adkins at Southampton, Pearson at Leicester, and Wilder Sheffield United.
None of those 3 were proven premier league managers. Stability and backing got them there along with some personal development as coaches. Not saying Parkinson can do this but he's here and ditching him for someone else now would be a fiasco.

he certainly did.

Yep. He also said he has 3 promotions from League One when he has 2, 11 years apart and as many relegations from the Championship than promotions from League One. Then some ludicrous comment about criticising Neil Warnock for not getting Cardiff into the Champions League.

I have been too depressed to listen to the podcasts lately. I don't feel there is anything that Methven or Donald could say just now to lift that. It's what happens on the pitch that needs to do the talking

i really didn’t like the pops CM was having at Sunderland fans then being reminded we turn up in numbers. It just feels to me like he thinks we’re ungrateful and nasty bastards to the last. He came across badly there and I don’t care one bit for him. I don’t agree with people hammering people on social media and it’s rifts thst people are called out for it but his tone the whole through was off.

From the 42nd minute

No doubt he’ll have meant something else. He’ll have meant something else when he was on about flogging academy players to championship clubs too. He'll have meant something else when he said Parkinson has three league 1 promotions.

Id rather the club's board stayed silent and suspect they had little time for a lot of our fanbase and a lack of respect for our levels of intelligence than have Methven conduct these interviews and remove all doubt

Some of the criticisms of RR are way over the top. They're unpaid volunteers doing something many of us would love to do and used their initiative to get Donald on the podcast in the first place. An owner doing regular podcasts with the fans was unprecedented, and the podcasts with SD are usually excellent. And the first podcasts they did where it was a couple of lads talking about football and wrestling were (in the nicest possible way) utter shite - they've come a long way in a short space of time.

Some constructive criticism though. When RR first started out they were very vocal about local journalists not challenging Short and just accepting the narrative set by the club, but the website seems to have headed that way since they got access to Donald, and especially since the summer since people started to question him. I'm sure it's not their intention, but the attitude towards critics of the owners in the summer felt very condescending. It came across more like the club's PR line rather than a fanzine.

And the latest podcast is essentially a multi millionaire PR guru telling fans what he wants them to hear. Not sure what you could have done about it as he's very intelligent, but my advice would be to be very wary of Methven. Its an uncomfortable listen as it feels as though he's played you and used you to control his narrative. Appreciate it's difficult when you're sat opposite in a studio in front of a live mic, but I don't think I'll bother listening to anymore with him as it's just PR spin like what Bain used to do with the Echo.

Just my thoughts anyway.

The club are totally using RR, but the problem is RR are more than happy to let them do it.

No doubt he’ll have meant something else. He’ll have meant something else when he was on about flogging academy players to championship clubs too. He'll have meant something else when he said Parkinson has three league 1 promotions.

Id rather the club's board stayed silent and suspect they had little time for a lot of our fanbase and a lack of respect for our levels of intelligence than have Methven conduct these interviews and remove all doubt

Despite all these errors hes very sure of himself, like a certain poster.

I think it was Charlie who said we beat a Championship club to sogn Jack Ross as manager which had me wondering which Championship team were so desperate to sign a manager from the Scottish Second Division.

His patter is best taken under advisement.

"18 months of arse-kissing.... ruined!"

"It'll be alright darling"

"Silence stripper wife!"

It was Ipswich. I believe terms were discussed as well

Felt utterly depressed after listening to that podcast.

Thought CM went a bit overboard about the abuse, saying Short, Murray, Cowie etc. all had it, giving the impression it just happens at Sunderland, and it effects potential investment. Investors just want to know how much money they are going to make and when. Yes, it's never acceptable but he was going on like they are the only two people that have experienced it in their working lives. They surely must have expected it, or are they just totally naive.

And he definitely reads these boards.

He recognised its 2% of the fanbase but then made those comments as if it’s an entire fan base , strange PR style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back