RR Podcast: With Paul Reid & Charlie Methven - submit your questions/topics to discuss

It’s a system that hasn’t worked. Which of the signings so far has been a success? I’d argue not one.
luke onien
john mclaughlin
reece james (we sold him for a profit)
max power is captain..
ozturk is more debatable..

have all definitely been a success..
and i think
the two cbs and keeper signed this ummer will also prove successful..

Why doesn’t the club follow the Brentford model of abandoning the academy and create a B team and get them to play fixtures against top European under 23 sides through the season? The current academy sides are being embarrassed on a weekly basis. 5 wins in 18 months. Paul Reid, you’ve failed at your job. Our young players are being picked off by bigger clubs and we’ve been left with the ones who aren’t good enough. Get out of our club whilst we have a cat 1 status

Why doesn’t the club follow the Brentford model of abandoning the academy and create a B team and get them to play fixtures against top European under 23 sides through the season? The current academy sides are being embarrassed on a weekly basis. 5 wins in 18 months. Paul Reid, you’ve failed at your job. Our young players are being picked off by bigger clubs and we’ve been left with the ones who aren’t good enough. Get out of our club whilst we have a cat 1 status
we just got cat one renewed..paul reid doesnt manage the U 23s..

He runs the academy. So you’re happy with how it’s being ran? The under 18sare just as bad
cant be happy wth it..and you identified the reason why..the best players get poached at 15 and there is nowt we can do..i dont think reid has been convincing in he job at all..

bit as usually happens on here..people criticise the club for exactly the things that are not the valid things to criticise and ignore the real problems..

He runs the academy. So you’re happy with how it’s being ran? The under 18sare just as bad

It seems like there's not much we can do about it until we're out of League 1. I guess it must be hard for Greenwood to turn down Arsenal or that Luca kid to turn down Liverpool when they're in the youth team of a L1 club.

cant be happy wth it..and you identified the reason why..the best players get poached at 15 and there is nowt we can do..i dont think reid has been convincing in he job at all..

bit as usually happens on here..people criticise the club for exactly the things that are not the valid things to criticise and ignore the real problems..

and the real problems are what...
It seems like there's not much we can do about it until we're out of League 1. I guess it must be hard for Greenwood to turn down Arsenal or that Luca kid to turn down Liverpool when they're in the youth team of a L1 club.

there is another 3 who have also left, one to liverpool if i remember correctly... must be what the relationship donald mentioned about.

Last edited:
and the real problems are what...

there is another 3 who have also left, one to liverpool if i remember correctly... must be what the relationship donald mentioned about.
the real prpobem is that when Paul Reid spoke last time there was no mention of a vision..or metric for what him being successful in his job looks like, he obsfuscated and bluffed..had nothing to offer in terms of what he would differently to jimmy sinclair who was there prior to him...he really did sound like someone who had been promoted quickl and is as surprised by it as everyone else....and so is defensive when questioned..JR was the same though to a lesser extent..

the real prpobem is that when Paul Reid spoke last time there was no mention of a vision..or metric for what him being successful in his job looks like, he obsfuscated and bluffed..had nothing to offer in terms of what he would differently to jimmy sinclair who was there prior to him...he really did sound like someone who had been promoted quickl and is as surprised by it as everyone else....and so is defensive when questioned..JR was the same though to a lesser extent..

Dortmund model...

What is the rationale behind bringing in players specifically to play for the under 23's when they haven't helped the side to be competitive. Surely bringing in the likes of Max Johnstone, Ruben Summut, Ahmed Abdelkader, Jack Bainbridge, Jordan Hunter and Cieran Dunne etc are more of a hindrance than a help in that they block pathways from the Under 18's to the Under 23's to the first team while not contributing to positive results in the under 23 set up. It's evident that very few, if any of them will ever make it at first team level.

Dortmund model...
can mean anything as a phrase...unfortunately even across the widest range of interpretations of the phrase..spneidng less than rivals but overachieiving..safc didnt pursue that..we spent more than all rival and under achieved..
A question for Paul Reid.

Does the distance between your place of work and your home, have an impact on your role ?
why-where does he live? shocking if he doesnt live in he north east during the week like?

Question for PR: Can you provide any examples of changes you"ve made the academy set up since you took over that you firmly believe will contribute to an upturn in academy results in the bot to distant future?

Questions for both: What is the club doing to try and ensure players dont jump ship in the future?

Other than the situation you've inherited from previous owners and the fact we're a league 1 club what has also contributed to the worrying decline in academy performances?

The club has been crying out for an identity on the pitch for years. Is this something the club intends on addressing and if so what are they going to do about it?

I would also ask if RR could try and follow up on some of the answers given if and where possible. And at the same time say thanks for taking their (RR) time out to do this.

Back