Royal Mail Asks To Stop Saturday Letter Deliveries

3 days a week is wrong, so Monday, Wednesday and Fridays then?

Why are the regulators bending over backwards? They were sold at fair market rates and now its up to them to get it done.
If it was 3 days per week, then the price would have been higher. They did their due dilligence, right?

Fuck em - let them go bust and the state will pick it back up for £1.

Its not just RM, its the same across the board with contracts being signed with the government, then the private folks not being able to (excuse the pun) Deliver. Look at the water companies - can't be arsed to spend money on increasing treatment works facilities, so just cry to the regulator to get permission to simply dump raw sewage in the rivers and seas every single day.
Whilst continuing to pay themselves millions, of course.

Fuck them all, put them to the fire.

Last edited:

Imo the Royal Mail should be:

Normal Post: once or 3 days a week depending on location.
Parcels and recorded delivery letters: 6/7 days a week.

No-one cares about the normal post side, and anyone sending an important letter should be doing it recorded anyway imo.

Highly doubt there's many people who would be affected by it, many will moan obviously though.

I’m waiting for a delivery that is coming via Royal Mail. I have been sent a tracking link but the site does not work.

Thanks, really helpful.

Amazon give me a time and I can get updates.

I think the writing is on the wall for the Royal Mail.

To be honest, I don't think I would notice if deliveries went down to 5, 3 or even 1 day a week. Rarely get anything other than junk mail in the post these days.

Interesting article on how other countries have coped with the drop-off of demand for postal services

You probably would if you were an older person with the inevitable health problems, numerous hospital appointments often cancelled and then rescheduled all sent by post.

Imo the Royal Mail should be:

Normal Post: once or 3 days a week depending on location.
Parcels and recorded delivery letters: 6/7 days a week.

No-one cares about the normal post side, and anyone sending an important letter should be doing it recorded anyway imo.

Highly doubt there's many people who would be affected by it, many will moan obviously though.
I care. I use Royal Mail normal service a lot.
Recorded delivery doesn't guarantee delivery, it just lets you know when it has arrived. A bit like a read receipt with emails that are only used by annoying pendantic people an librarians (not mutually exclusive). :)

Recorded delivery doesn't guarantee delivery, it just lets you know when it has arrived. A bit like a read receipt with emails that are only used by annoying pendantic people an librarians (not mutually exclusive). :)
An important letter should be sent special delivery, still stand with the nobody cares about at least 50% of the stuff we get sent though.

I’m waiting for a delivery that is coming via Royal Mail. I have been sent a tracking link but the site does not work.

Thanks, really helpful.

Amazon give me a time and I can get updates.

I think the writing is on the wall for the Royal Mail.

Outsource postal deliveries to Amazon? Can't be many streets in the country which don't see an Amazon van at least once a day.

Yeah I know currently, but it could easily be changed so it gets passed to the parcels team instead, rather than the letterbox team let's say, so it gets priority.

Would actually benefit those who actually need to use it anyway and make sure they actually scan it properly.

Btw for emails make sure some of the content is behind an image, and stick a tracking pixel in, that's the secret way to do proper read checks ;)

hopefully they will go the same way as poland, where inpost took the market away from the national post as it was shit, and replaced it with a good one, which was cheaper and better ran

Yeah, just scrap the whole royal mail and let someone else fill the market. It needs innovation, technology and most of all smart people running it. I’d happily allow 95% of my mail to be opened, scanned and emailed to me.

Yeah, just scrap the whole royal mail and let someone else fill the market. It needs innovation, technology and most of all smart people running it. I’d happily allow 95% of my mail to be opened, scanned and emailed to me.
All about the privitisation train? The likes of Hermies/Evir do a grand job?
Just like the private water and train companies?

We never learn!

As for opening, scanning and emailing letters - miss out the middle man and just get them emailed in the first place - needs to be opt-in of course to support those who can't do that.

I dispute that they’re the worst delivery firm going, have you ever dealt with Evri the couriers from hell.
Never had a bother with them. They follow the instructions given...leave in safe place..leave with neighbour etc. Not a bother never missed a parcel. Royal mail are incapable of this and take It upon themselves to decide your parcel must go back to the depot for collection or redelivery. Arseholes.

And 95% would end up directly in the deleted mail folder.

In the last few weeks I think the only interesting or useful thing I've received in the post is a new bank card and that could have been sent by alternate means. Even the amount of posted junk mail is going down as businesses realise that it is expensive and not very targeted. Much easier with email or social media advertising to customise content to the receiver.

Also not very green to be moving millions of pieces of paper around every day.

A valuable item should be sent SD. RD should be used for proof of delivery for legal documents etc. That was why RD was initially introduced.
True but if it's important I'd be wanting it next day, none guarantee next day even if the name suggests but special you have a much better chance.

Im all for the royal mail but it needs to move with the times.
All about the privitisation train? The likes of Hermies/Evir do a grand job?
Just like the private water and train companies?

We never learn!

As for opening, scanning and emailing letters - miss out the middle man and just get them emailed in the first place - needs to be opt-in of course to support those who can't do that.
These aren't really the same bracket as Royal Mail now, they are cheaper and offer a worse service, Royal Mail for a standard shoe box comparison is Dpd, I send around 3500 parcels a year so I unfortunately do the dance every year on prices, dpd is slightly more expensive but the service far outweighs the increase in price.

Last edited:

Back