Roy for Jennings

Almost inevitable that this will happen at some point, but I'm another with big concerns that he doesn't bat in the top 3 for his county and then will be asked to face top class pace bowling zipping around. He's a talent but very much in Hales category for me in terms of having a great eye but a technique too limited to cope at the top of the order in test cricket.

I get what you mean on an individual level, but I think he has a much better technique than Hales personally

Still think Hales could have made it as a test player too, not opening, he was one of the best batsman in the country and has made some mammoth scores in the CC

I get what you mean on an individual level, but I think he has a much better technique than Hales personally

Still think Hales could have made it as a test player too, not opening, he was one of the best batsman in the country and has made some mammoth scores in the CC

Agree with Hales, think there was definitely something there but lower down the order, probably number 5. Roy is a great striker of the ball but I think he's got a slightly weaker technique than Hales. His go to shot seems to be coming down the pitch and he won't get away with that as much in test cricket, but given the lack of current options he's as worth a try as any.

No, he has played in big atmospheres all around the world

He has opened in ODI

its not like it will daunt him, its worth ago like

You talk like we haven't been trying opener after opener for 5years, we have and it hasn't work

Got to try something new

I am behind Roy as a selection but not to open.

it’s soo unfair chucking him in there.

What about Root opening?

He has played in big crowds over the years it will not daunt him and he has opened in the past.

Like you say we have tried opener and opener time for something new!

Last edited:

What about Root opening?

He has played in big crowds over the years it will not daunt him and he has opened in the past.

Root won't even move up to 3! - I see your point and he's probably the best bet, but it simply won't happen as Root wants to bat 4, something I personally don't agree with as he's not acting in the best interests of the team IMO.

:lol: yes that's me! it just seems a massive waste of a huge talent. Him nicking off to an unplayable ball (or going with hard hands) to the likes of Hazlewood with a new duke ball when he could be getting match winning innings batting elsewhere.

Exactly we have a talented player who could turn out hopefully to be a very good middle order batsman and we throw him right in the deep end in a postition he has never played in red ball cricket.

Sure I said this should’ve happened about 18 months ago to much disgust from the red ball snobs on here!

I am the furthest you can get from a red ball snob on here and constantly praise the one day players and one day team and say they should be in the team, Buttler been the biggest example.

But to throw Roy om as a opener out of position while other more experienced players like Root for example hide down the order just doesn’t seem right and is unfair on lad.

It seems to the argument is openers have failed our number 3s have failed let’s try something new.

Imo the something new should be Root rather than a Roy

Root won't even move up to 3! - I see your point and he's probably the best bet, but it simply won't happen as Root wants to bat 4, something I personally don't agree with as he's not acting in the best interests of the team IMO.

Yeah it’s crazy it’s like let’s try anything and everything before our best and most experienced batsman

Last edited:

What about Root opening?

No chance, now that would be possibly the worst thing we could do

No chance, now that would be possibly the worst thing we could do

Yeah lets give the responsibility of opening in the Ashes to a player who not only has never played a test match but who also plays down the order in red ball cricket for his county and to me knowledge has never opened in that format ever in first class cricket!

While a previous opening batsman with the most talent and experience in the team stays down the order and why?

Because he wants too!!

I thought cricket was a team game, you have Root refusing to move from 4, the likes of Bairstow taking the huff when not keeping.

Maybe I am old fashioned but the team comes first not the individual for me.

Last edited:
Yeah lets give the responsibility of opening in the Ashes to a player who not only has never played a test match but who also plays down the order in red ball cricket for his county and to me knowledge has never opened in that format ever in first class cricket!

While a previous opening batsman with the most talent and experience in the team stays down the order and why?

Because he wants too!!

I thought cricket was a team game, you have Root refusing to move from 4, the likes of Bairstow taking the huff when not keeping.

Maybe I am old fashioned but the team comes first not the individual for me.

I honestly can't believe you are still doing that

India have no openers, its like making Kohli open for the team

How did Bairstow go in huff? He went to 3 and got a 100

But he isn't good enough to bat at 3

Some people will never learn

Lets open with f***ing Stokes and Buttler based on your logic :lol:

number 4 is the most important position in the team and we have a bloke averaging 50 odd whose average drops by nearly 10 runs when he goes to 3

So you want to take runs away from the team just to prove a point, totally and utterly bizarre

number 4 is the most important position in the team and we have a bloke averaging 50 odd whose average drops by nearly 10 runs when he goes to 3

So you want to take runs away from the team just to prove a point, totally and utterly bizarre

If he loses 10 runs by batting at 3 but Roy scores 40 odd on average batting 4 rather than failing opening then we are quids in ;)

If he loses 10 runs by batting at 3 but Roy scores 40 odd on average batting 4 rather than failing opening then we are quids in ;)

I just think the Windies tour last game showed what we need to do, play to our strengths, dont play people out of position to cover other people's failings

Bairstow averages above 40 at and Root above 50 at 4, leave them there.

Leave Stokes at 6 too he is much better

simple for me

I just think the Windies tour last game showed what we need to do, play to our strengths, dont play people out of position to cover other people's failings

Bairstow averages above 40 at and Root above 50 at 4, leave them there.

Leave Stokes at 6 too he is much better

simple for me

I do think you have a valid point but you can also make a case for Root protecting the new lads and moving up to allow them to bat in their more natural position, in the case of Roy. You can't compare Root opening to Kohli opening as Root started his career as an opening batsmen so it's hardly an alien task to him, Kohli has always batted further down.

I do think you have a valid point but you can also make a case for Root protecting the new lads and moving up to allow them to bat in their more natural position, in the case of Roy. You can't compare Root opening to Kohli opening as Root started his career as an opening batsmen so it's hardly an alien task to him, Kohli has always batted further down.

It wouldn't help the team

There is a reason why its hard for opening batsman to be captains, all day in the field then in first over

He needs time, its just not going to happen, I wish people would stop talking about its, just a waste of energy

It was you that said we have tried opener and opener and time for something new not me!

What is wrong with that something new been Root, he is surely a better bet than Roy due to his experience and talent, and previous opening experience.

No I don't want to take runs away from the team to prove a point, no concerned in the slightest proving a point.

Concerned that as a team and set up we all willing to throw a debutant into something he has never done before while his captain who is miles more qualified refuses.

You are soo far blinkered in your own view, that you still fail to see that I genuinely think that Root opening would be best for the team taking that responsibility of batting time, hence allowing the likes of Stokes, Buttler, Roy and Bairstow to flourish.

Imo Root is been selfish and thinking of himself above the team and hate that!

Number 4 or number 3 or opener is not the most important postition in the team,

The most important postition in the team is where the team needs a certain person at a certain time given the players at their disposal.

You cant just say number 4 is the most important as it totally depends on set up and players you have

Last edited:
It was you that said we have tried opener and opener and time for something new not me!

What is wrong with that something new been Root, he is surely a better bet than Roy due to his experience and talent, and previous opening experience.

No I don't want to take runs away from the team to prove a point, no concerned in the slightest proving a point.

Concerned that as a team and set up we all willing to throw a debutant into something he has never done before while his captain who is miles more qualified refuses.

You are soo far blinkered in your own view, that you still fail to see that I genuinely think that Root opening would be best for the team taking that responsibility of batting time, hence allowing the likes of Stokes, Buttler, Roy and Bairstow to flourish.

Imo Root is been selfish and thinking of himself above the team and hate that!

Number 4 or number 3 or opener is not the most important postition in the team,

The most important postition in the team is where the team needs a certain person at a certain time given the players at their disposal.

You cant just say number 4 is the most important as it totally depends on set up and players you have

Nothing personal mate, really can't be arsed with this conversation anymore, been done to death.

Back