Roy for Jennings

He absolutely should be tried like, one of the best cricketers in England. I'd have preferred him at 3, but not got much other choice

I've not been impressed with Burns, hope he isn't nailed on!

Makes as much sense as Hales or Ali opening the batting. He's an ODI opener, a pinch hitter.

Rather try Mitchell or Stoneman again.

Last edited:
Makes as much sense as Hales or Ali opening the batting. He's an ODI opener, a pinch hitter.

Rather try Mitchell or Stoneman again.

Harsh, batted 3 too

His first class record is decent

He'll score more runs than Mitchell ever would

I'd have Stoneman in for Burns though

Jason Roy in line to replace Keaton Jennings as England opener for Ashes

Whilst I don’t love the idea, a change is absolutely needed. And no one else has put their hand up, so why not eh?

I've been against this for a long time but as long as openers continue to be tried and failed the case for him becomes difficult to ignore. He's too big a talent but for me I think it will be wasted opening the batting and sadly he is just yet another very talented middle order player we have at our disposal. Opening the batting against very accurate quick, seam bowling on spicy pitches with 4 slips isn't what Jason Roy is all about. I probably would go Stoneman, Burns, Root, Roy but that will bring in other arguments :lol:

I've been against this for a long time but as long as openers continue to be tried and failed the case for him becomes difficult to ignore. He's too big a talent but for me I think it will be wasted opening the batting and sadly he is just yet another very talented middle order player we have at our disposal. Opening the batting against very accurate quick, seam bowling on spicy pitches with 4 slips isn't what Jason Roy is all about. I probably would go Stoneman, Burns, Root, Roy but that will bring in other arguments :lol:

Yeah it does:D

They is no doubt in my mind that Roy is a talent, do we want to destroy his confidence within a few games.

Throwing him into the bear pit of a ashes on his debut opening is just the way to go about it.

I think it’s exceptionally unfair to give someone their test debut as a opener when they normally bat 5 or 6 in country cricket.

Not totally against the Roy selection but he should be allowed to find his feet.

I could be wrong but as far as I remember can’t ever think of that happening before.

Mate

We’ve tried so many openers like

I think it’s unfair to say we haven’t

It’s a good pick

Burns was by far the best scorer last few years but he’s looked fuckin horrendous in my opinion

I still think Pope deserves another shot in the middle order

Will play again just not a position right now

You are probs right

But how many would Jennings n Burns score

Not many more

It’s not like we are losing runs

I agree I’d like him at 5 but we have players there so it’s up to him

He’s got more talent than most cricketers in the country

It’s a good pick

It might not work but worth a try

Last edited:
Mate

We’ve tried so many openers like

I think it’s unfair to say we haven’t

It’s a good pick

Burns was by far the best scorer last few years but he’s looked fuckin horrendous in my opinion

Will play again just not a position right now

You are probs right

But how many would Jennings n Burns score

Not many more

It’s not like we are losing runs

I agree I’d like him at 5 but we have players there so it’s up to him

He’s got more talent than most cricketers in the country

It’s a good pick

It might not work but worth a try

Hway mate, how many times in the history of cricket have you seen a middle order batsman in first class cricket make his debut as a opener in test cricket!

Not to mention the pressure of the Ashes.

Do you not even think it's s tad unfair to chuck him in the deep end in that way,

Great idea this, we have tried so many county openers now and a re no further forward, so why not give it a go. I remember doubts over whether Trescothick could open the batting at test level. He was very much a one day player with a bang average first class record, but he had the attributes needed to work out how to succeed when he got to that level. Not saying Roy will achieve what he did, but let him have the crack many others have had.

Hway mate, how many times in the history of cricket have you seen a middle order batsman in first class cricket make his debut as a opener in test cricket!

Not to mention the pressure of the Ashes.

Do you not even think it's s tad unfair to chuck him in the deep end in that way,

No, he has played in big atmospheres all around the world

He has opened in ODI

its not like it will daunt him, its worth ago like

You talk like we haven't been trying opener after opener for 5years, we have and it hasn't work

Got to try something new

Sure I said this should’ve happened about 18 months ago to much disgust from the red ball snobs on here!

:lol: yes that's me! it just seems a massive waste of a huge talent. Him nicking off to an unplayable ball (or going with hard hands) to the likes of Hazlewood with a new duke ball when he could be getting match winning innings batting elsewhere.

Almost inevitable that this will happen at some point, but I'm another with big concerns that he doesn't bat in the top 3 for his county and then will be asked to face top class pace bowling zipping around. He's a talent but very much in Hales category for me in terms of having a great eye but a technique too limited to cope at the top of the order in test cricket.

Back