Ross Vs Ainsworth Stats

The grass isn't always greener ....

Just look at these (rounded up) stats...

Jack Ross:

Managed: 76
Won: 39 (51%)
Drew: 27 (36%)
Lost: 10 (13%)

Ainsworth:

Managed: 378
Won: 152 (41%)
Drew: 97 (25%)
Lost: 129 (34%)

A manager who finished 17th last season last season vs a manger who has lost just 10 games in 18 months. Do we really want Ainsworth? Is there anyone better than either Manager? Personally wouldn't have Phillips, Quinn etc - Legends of the club, who would be turned upon if things went tits up!
Ainsworth's stats Aren't bad considering the size of the club and the fact that any promoted team is going to struggle at first in a higher league.

:lol::lol::lol: worst football in my near 70 years
I wanted him to do really well but some of the crying over his departure is strange .When was the last time we played really well and more importantly two or three games in a row.
Also what cheesed me off ( don't know why but it did ) I never saw him at the under 23s matches.Two things re this ...it would give the younger players a massive lift to see the manager there ...and when he was quoted as saying re are short in certain positions why not watch those playing there for what is in fact our " reserves" .Yes you can get a report from Bally or whoever but this would create a real togetherness between the first team and kids..MaGuire turned up at last game and In days gone by at Ferens Park many of the first teamers did likewise as did manager.
Hope the "gaffer" shows an interest .

To be honest, any manager coming in is going to have a job on their hands. There's a lack of any real pace throughout the team and our midfield lacks physical presence and height. The less said about our defence the better.

Ainsworth kept a newly promoted team up with zero spend. Ross kept a newly relegated team down despite spending more than the rest of the league combined. Ainsworth might not be the answer but your stats are utter bollocks.
Well they are.....until we appoint someone like Ainsworth and then they perform worse than Ross maybe....then they are not bollocks....
As someone else said, there is no guarantees where managers are concerned....it’s way harder than most championship managers here think it is.....

The grass isn't always greener ....

Just look at these (rounded up) stats...

Jack Ross:

Managed: 76
Won: 39 (51%)
Drew: 27 (36%)
Lost: 10 (13%)

Ainsworth:

Managed: 378
Won: 152 (41%)
Drew: 97 (25%)
Lost: 129 (34%)

A manager who finished 17th last season last season vs a manger who has lost just 10 games in 18 months. Do we really want Ainsworth? Is there anyone better than either Manager? Personally wouldn't have Phillips, Quinn etc - Legends of the club, who would be turned upon if things went tits up!

You can't seriously think this is a sensible comparison?!

Sunderland with the likes of Cattermole on 40k a week, Wycombe with the lowest budget in league 1, and 6th lowest in league 2, with the whole squad on a fair bit less than 40k between them!

Are people really this stupid? Imagine if I managed Sunderland against an under 8 side 5 times. I’d end up with 5 wins and a 100% win ratio, does this make me the greatest SAFC manager that ever lived?

Makes you better than Ross... he would get 5 x 1-1 draws

Relatively few managers are successful at more than one club. When they do well they think it is down to them when often it is a multitude of factors. Take Peter Reid for instance, who provided the best years I have had as a Sunderland fan for 50 years. If he had not been advised to buy SKP by Glenn Roeder then those successful years would never have happened. What did he achieve at Leeds, Coventry, Plymouth or Thailand? Absolutely nothing.

Paul Lambert did very well at Norwich but has struggled ever since. Dalglish did well at Liverpool and Blackburn but was then crap at Newcastle, Celtic and at Liverpool again. Laurie Mac- need I say more?

Last edited:
Fuck the stats. Ainsworth was managing newly promoted Wycombe whereas Ross was managing Sunderland with a left back that had played at the World Cup, a centre mid that captained England u21s, a 20 goal a season striker signed for 4 million which was the record league 1 deal, a player with 93 ROI caps in McGeady, a former USMNT player in Gooch, a Scotland international keeper in McLaughlin, a former welsh international right back in Matthews, need I go on.

Watched Sunderland vs Wycombe twice last year and Ross was out thought by Ainsworth in both games.

End of thread.

I was just going by this, mate:

There's been a couple of the dreaded "undisclosed" ones in there along the lines.
But still, you are spot on to say he's done it on a miniscule budget.

Even this summer we managed to get Fred in from Millwall, a championship level player as we were also selling McCarthy to them. Some good wheeler dealering!

Relatively few managers are successful at more than one club. When they do well they think it is down to them when often it is a multitude of factors. Take Peter Reid for instance, who provided the best years I have had as a Sunderland fan for 50 years. If he had not been advised to buy SKP by Glenn Roeder then those successful years would never have happened. What did he achieve at Leeds, Coventry, Plymouth or Thailand? Absolutely nothing.

Paul Lambert did very well at Norwich but has struggled ever since. Dalglish did well at Liverpool and Blackburn but was then crap at Newcastle, Celtic and at Liverpool again. Laurie Mac- need I say more?

Lambert took Wycombe to the league cup semi finals!
And currently has Ipswich top of league 1.

So I wouldn't necessarily chuck Lambert in the one club wonders gang.

Lambert took Wycombe to the league cup semi finals!
And currently has Ipswich top of league 1.

So I wouldn't necessarily chuck Lambert in the one club wonders gang.
Fair point - he is doing well this season though he has been there since last October and could not prevent relegation. Spells at Villa, Blackburn, Wolves and Stoke all well behind his achievements at Norwich

Back