Ross Stewart

KathyBatesHammer

Central Defender
I wonder if Southampton go up if theyd want to send RS out on loan.

Sounds daft considering the money they spunked on him but then hes hardly kicked a ball in the last 2 years, would be difficult for him to get back up to speed in the Prem.

Would be ironic if we loaned him for half a season and paid his wages!

I wonder if Southampton go up if theyd want to send RS out on loan.

Sounds daft considering the money they spunked on him but then hes hardly kicked a ball in the last 2 years, would be difficult for him to get back up to speed in the Prem.

Would be ironic if we loaned him for half a season and paid his wages!
It'll be interesting to see if Stewart can get back to any sort of past form following such a long layoff...

I honestly think he's done.
Yeah, I fear that for him too.

Aye I agree mate. I think we were lucky to get rid of him when we did for that much. Reckon his career is going to be stop/start now for the foreseeable.
Getting rid sounds a bit harsh, but we were right to sell when we did.

Such a shame for the lad. I thought he had it all. What could have been...

Aye I agree mate. I think we were lucky to get rid of him when we did for that much. Reckon his career is going to be stop/start now for the foreseeable.
We’re all quick to jump on the absolutely shite things we’ve done, especially in the past six months, but let’s give ctedit where it’s due, it ended up being a very good call.

You can argue he should’ve had a contract signed before that Fulham game, but even as a severely injured player, the mantra on here was “give him what he wants”. We’d have been stuck with probably the highest paid player on the books, not kicking a ball & not playing for two years. Our stance will definitely have changed once that injury happened.

Not signing a replacement was the worst decision

Last edited:
We’re all quick to jump on the absolutely shite things we’ve done, especially in the past six months, but let’s give ctedit where it’s due, it ended up being a very good call.

You can argue he should’ve had a contract signed before that Fulham game, but even as a severely injured player, the mantra on here was “give him what he wants”. We’d have been stuck with probably the highest paid player on the books, not kicking a ball & not playing for two years. Our stance will definitely have changed once that injury happened.

Evidently a lot easier said than done though.

Let's be realistic, a fit and well Ross Stewart on proper Championship money would be worth twice what we received for him. Southampton took a big gamble spending what they did on him, but with their parachute payments and player sales in excess of £60m last summer, they could afford to.

The chances of us getting anything like a player of Stewart's quality within then £0-£10m price range were always very very slim.

It has been a very good call. He was injured and wanted to go, and the right money came in, so he went. Good business. We just didn't replace him. Which was the issue. 👌

Back