Ross on Watmore..

duncan is duncan, he knows no other way to play which is what is so good and bad about him, good that he gets the ball and only has one thing on his mind and that is to attack with pace, bad in that he does tend to hold the ball for too long...if he can improve his looking for options (which i think ross will be working on) he will be a much better/more useful member of the team.

personally, i like to see duncan on the pitch as his runs get the crowd going... also i think teams are tending to try to stop gooch from running as he is pretty similar in his play, with both on the pitch it will be a more 'double barrelled' attack.

I know it's not a universal view, but I think the combination of Catts and McGeouch is making us pedestrian, calm, strong on the ball but both play a holding role that I just don't think we have room for two of at the moment, maybe with Watmore it will work better and give them someone to hit as they are both capable of an incisive forward pass when they see a run, rather than risking a pass to someone standing with a marker which they are both loathe to do. TBH whether its Barca's fault or not - any forward should be looking for space all the time, to me ball to feet is sensible in defence, safe in midfield, but ineffective too often up front. We cannot play only 'netball' style against better teams than those we have overpowered with it.
I've seen nowt from McGeouch yet to suggest that's the case.

I agree with your first point though.

Watmore is miles better than Sinclair.

We do play too deep at times. However, part of that is because we don't win hardly any headers in our own half.

In fact we don't win many headers full stop.

I'm looking forward to having the lad back, he'll be a massive plus for the reasons Ross mentions in the article.

We can all see his downsides but I think most would agree that he should catch the eye of everyone in this league if he comes back the same player as before. It's probably worked to our advantage he got injured, as a few club's would have taken a punt on Duncan if he was fit last season.

never really been a fan of Watmore but can see what he brings. just puts his head down and runs aimlessly into dead ends far to often for me. find him infuriating to watch

You are mixing him up with Januzai mate . What more far more productive in goals and assists.;)

in this league though where the defenders are utter shite it'll be a different option if he's actually retained any pace with the injury. will get us moving up the pitch quickly with any luck as we are a bit pedestrian at times

Watmore is miles better than Sinclair.

We do play too deep at times. However, part of that is because we don't win hardly any headers in our own half.

In fact we don't win many headers full stop.

Aye, still most of a team that could get called up for Loompa Land in the next international break like. January priority has to be height.

Sorry to be negative. I feel nervous about including Watmore in our plans as his body and/or confidence may be shot. Let's wait till he's made a few appearances.

You’re right tbf. He may never regain the form and pace he had previously. I’m sure there will be some on here with medical knowledge on recuperation from cruciate injuries who may be able to give us more insight.

Back