Root - Useless Captain

Buttler appears to be next in line unless we give it to jimmy

Doesn’t matter who is captain of we can’t defend a straight ball

They need to relieve him of his duties now and give it to Buttler,
Captaincy affects every batsman's form (Strauss seemed to cope best) but it's killed Root as a batsman.
Give it to Buttler, decide on a wicket keeper and stick with it. Stop picking all rounders and bits and pieces cricketers

Stokes would make an excellent captain, unfortunately though FTECB wet their pants over the ‘incident’ and now he’s been demoted - something they love doing to Durham........
I think he would, I think he's got the cricket brain for it.

Not sure what Buttler's qualifications are for Test cricket captaincy.

Frankly there's not a lot of choice once you exclude anyone who isn't holding a place down.

Who is guaranteed for the ashes?

Root, Anderson, stokes the rest could change with injury etc

Don’t think jimmys batting will go anywhere with the extra responsibility. His bowling in England is immaculate so no probs there

He was still developing as a (really good) batsman when they gave it to him, should've let him just do that for another few years and learn a bit more off Cook.

Hate giving the captaincy to someone just because they're the best batsman in the side, Broad or Anderson should've stood up if Cook really had to go.

The fact is Root was the best option to take over. Ideally, Cook would have carried on for another 2 or 3 years and allowed Root to build on what was a very good start to a test career or allow another another option to emerge. It's like Atherton said on Sky yesterday, Anderson and Broad captain themselves and are they really the best options? Both winding down in their career unfortunately. Giving it to Buttler or Stokes are only going to give themselves the same problems that Root has. Root has to adapt, stand up to the selectors (Ed Smith mainly) and really stamp his authority on the test side. He's had it tough with the ECB putting all the focus on one day stuff leading up to this year. Get through this year and he's then got a proper go at it. He could have done better but I feel for Joe.

The fact is Root was the best option to take over. Ideally, Cook would have carried on for another 2 or 3 years and allowed Root to build on what was a very good start to a test career or allow another another option to emerge. It's like Atherton said on Sky yesterday, Anderson and Broad captain themselves and are they really the best options? Both winding down in their career unfortunately. Giving it to Buttler or Stokes are only going to give themselves the same problems that Root has. Root has to adapt, stand up to the selectors (Ed Smith mainly) and really stamp his authority on the test side. He's had it tough with the ECB putting all the focus on one day stuff leading up to this year. Get through this year and he's then got a proper go at it. He could have done better but I feel for Joe.
The last thing we should do is give the captaincy to Stokes. His workload is heavy enough already. For further reading see Botham.I.T and Flintoff.A

Back