RR Roker Rapport Podcast: An Interview with former Sunderland and Chelsea midfielder - Ruben Sammut!

LINKS TO LISTEN:

Acast: Roker Rapport Podcast: An Interview with former Sunderland and Chelsea midfielder - Ruben Sammut!
Apple: ‎Roker Rapport on Apple Podcasts
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2Av1RsV
YouTube:

What are we talking about?
  • Spending a year at the Academy of Light after signing from Chelsea under Jack Ross, how does Ruben feel about his time at Sunderland?
  • As an Academy, with his experience coming up as a Chelsea youth player, is there that much difference between methods at Sunderland in League One compared to Chelsea in the Premier League?
  • What were his plans upon joining Sunderland in 2019, what are his thoughts on the situation the older youth sides found themselves in this past season, and how seriously do the U23 players take the leagues and games they perform in?
  • Which players in the U23s stand out from some others and look to have a bright future in football?
  • Maintaining discipline and drive regardless of knock backs and defeats, and why younger players should be experiencing first team football - wherever that may be - from as early an age as possible;
  • Ruben’s thoughts on his own departure from the club, and navigating the current footballing landscape and the uncertainty Covid-19 has caused for players futures;
  • His shock at the departure of teammate Bali Mumba, and his experiences dealing with former Academy Manager Paul Reid and how he plans to turn a negative into a positive;
An interesting chat with a lovely young lad and professional who unfortunately didn’t get the chance or time to prove himself at the club, we’d all like to thank Ruben for taking the time to speak to us and wish him all the best for his future career!
What were his plans on joining Sunderland in 2019
Ffs like a bad personnel interview
Toss it off like the rest

Interesting that he said the 23’s were up against much stronger teams, it’s academy football so why isn’t ours strong? Well why is ours so weak? Being in div 3 should not make a difference at academy level should it?

Interesting that he said the 23’s were up against much stronger teams, it’s academy football so why isn’t ours strong? Well why is ours so weak? Being in div 3 should not make a difference at academy level should it?
Have a think about it.

Do you think our League One u23 team will be on par with a Premier League u23 team?

Baring in mind, if we were a Premier League team, we would likely be wanting out better players from our U23 team to go out on loan to play actual League One football.

And that our lads are playing against the likes of Curtis Jones, who scored today in the actual Premier League today for the English, European and World Champions and notched a hat-trick against our u23 team in February When they were demolished 6-0.

Have a think about it.

Do you think our League One u23 team will be on par with a Premier League u23 team?

Baring in mind, if we were a Premier League team, we would likely be wanting out better players from our U23 team to go out on loan to play actual League One football.

And that our lads are playing against the likes of Curtis Jones, who scored today in the actual Premier League today for the English, European and World Champions and notched a hat-trick against our u23 team in February When they were demolished 6-0.

I don’t think it’s so clear cut, admittedly 5-6 of our better ones left but surely we should be competing for the best in the area? The fact we are in div 3 shouldn’t make a difference should it?

Really scraping the barrel here mind :lol:
I disagree, I'd like more of the 'different' interviews. It's good to have a mix. First team players are in the press all the time. Hearing from youth team players, back room staff, board members etc, that is different.

I'd try and get Craig Russell as physio on. Go for the team bus driver. Kit man (John Cooke?). Under 14s coach. Parent and child combo of a 16 year old player. Bit of something different is more interesting I think

I don’t think it’s so clear cut, admittedly 5-6 of our better ones left but surely we should be competing for the best in the area? The fact we are in div 3 shouldn’t make a difference should it?

Have you seen how many kids the 'big academies have though? They scout and sign hundreds of lads from around the world, often paying their clubs reasonable sums, as well as paying families or buying homes etc.

Good interview - he comes across very well and gives a different perspective on the club - we live and breath it and he gives the perspective of someone coming in from outside. Hope he gets a club - he has a good pedigree and no doubt some talent but at his age he really is desperate for 1st team football.

Good interview - he comes across very well and gives a different perspective on the club - we live and breath it and he gives the perspective of someone coming in from outside. Hope he gets a club - he has a good pedigree and no doubt some talent but at his age he really is desperate for 1st team football.

Cheers!

Thanks for this, insight from fringe players like this offer a unique look into the academy structure and how ours compares to other clubs, the lad is well spoken and I wish him the best, he seemed to take a lot from his time here and that kind of attitude suggests he is an adaptable individual who will make the best of his natural abilities.

Back