RR Roker Rapport Podcast: An Interview with former Sunderland and Chelsea midfielder - Ruben Sammut!

RTG

Robot
Staff member
Ruben joined our Gav for a chat about his experiences as a young player trying to break through at Sunderland and remaining positive in the increasingly unpredictable footballing world. You can listen for FREE on Acast, iTunes, Spotify, & YouTube - get stuck in! What are we talking about? Spending a year at the...

More at Roker Report...

LINKS TO LISTEN:

Acast: Roker Rapport Podcast: An Interview with former Sunderland and Chelsea midfielder - Ruben Sammut!
Apple: ‎Roker Rapport on Apple Podcasts
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2Av1RsV
YouTube:

What are we talking about?
  • Spending a year at the Academy of Light after signing from Chelsea under Jack Ross, how does Ruben feel about his time at Sunderland?
  • As an Academy, with his experience coming up as a Chelsea youth player, is there that much difference between methods at Sunderland in League One compared to Chelsea in the Premier League?
  • What were his plans upon joining Sunderland in 2019, what are his thoughts on the situation the older youth sides found themselves in this past season, and how seriously do the U23 players take the leagues and games they perform in?
  • Which players in the U23s stand out from some others and look to have a bright future in football?
  • Maintaining discipline and drive regardless of knock backs and defeats, and why younger players should be experiencing first team football - wherever that may be - from as early an age as possible;
  • Ruben’s thoughts on his own departure from the club, and navigating the current footballing landscape and the uncertainty Covid-19 has caused for players futures;
  • His shock at the departure of teammate Bali Mumba, and his experiences dealing with former Academy Manager Paul Reid and how he plans to turn a negative into a positive;
An interesting chat with a lovely young lad and professional who unfortunately didn’t get the chance or time to prove himself at the club, we’d all like to thank Ruben for taking the time to speak to us and wish him all the best for his future career!

Really scraping the barrel here mind :lol:

How? As someone who is passionate about the state of the club’s academy, it was great to get a first hand take on the way it’s run and the reasons for the terrible results of the last year.

Sammut came across as really intelligent and had some solid opinions on how youth development should be handled.

We’ve got about twenty interviews recorded and waiting to go out, so if this one’s not to your liking then keep an eye out for what else is coming.;)

Really scraping the barrel here mind :lol:
You've got the chance to speak to a man who worked under the two most recent managers, the current owner, and alongside Bali Mumba. It's a treasure trove if you ask the right things.

Was having a look at his linked in and the lad is very switched on. He had something like 8 A*s including an A* in Mandarin Chinese. Not typical for a player.

Listened to it this morning and enjoyed it.

Comes across as a good kid and I think it’s good to hear from players like him considering what’s going on with the academy at the moment.

Good listen.

He had no real opinion of Paul Reid as rarely spoke to him or seen him. Says it all about Reid in my opinion

Interested to here of his comments about Elliot Dickman. He seemed to really like him. I might take a bit flack here but I think Dickman might be a good shout for Academy manager, with Ged McNamee giving him guidance.

Good listen.

He had no real opinion of Paul Reid as rarely spoke to him or seen him. Says it all about Reid in my opinion

Interested to here of his comments about Elliot Dickman. He seemed to really like him. I might take a bit flack here but I think Dickman might be a good shout for Academy manager, with Ged McNamee giving him guidance.

I was thrown by his comments on Dickman too - didn’t realise he was so respected.

Also liked what he had to say about Jack Diamond - hopefully JD’s first team ready once his Harrogate loan is over.

I was thrown by his comments on Dickman too - didn’t realise he was so respected.

Also liked what he had to say about Jack Diamond - hopefully JD’s first team ready once his Harrogate loan is over.

Tbf Dickman has coached all of our best academy products from a young age.He is respected by players and coaches.

Really need to show a bit faith in our young lads. With Diamond hes very good running with the ball, dribbler. Hes a type of player we miss, direct running at people. Hes by no means the finished article however he should be allowed his opportunity

Back