Roker Park floodlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to have one of the bulbs, went to watch them pull the main stand down and they were lying about behind one of the fences. Snuck through and grabbed one.
Fucker got smashed years later in the bottom of a cupboard.

Excuse me sunshine (I've been waiting for this reply) I live 20 minutes walk to the Stadium of Light, I've had a season ticket in the Fulwell at Roker and I've had season tickets in the SWC at the SoL, so if I'm a mag I'm obsessed. Mind you the way that they follow us I can see where your coming from 😉.

HTL
Just googled it and still don't get a difinitve answer. Search came up after I put in 'tallest floodlights in the football league' Roker Park came up on wiki like but nowt. Seems as though the mags got that from Manchester United.
Well that's that then.

If you are not a Mag then you are a little bit simple thinking the mags were singing that song because we really had the tallest floodlights :lol:

Excuse me sunshine (I've been waiting for this reply) I live 20 minutes walk to the Stadium of Light, I've had a season ticket in the Fulwell at Roker and I've had season tickets in the SWC at the SoL, so if I'm a mag I'm obsessed. Mind you the way that they follow us I can see where your coming from 😉.

That's what they all say

The floodlights were upgraded for the European Cup Winners Cup in 1973/4 season. They were not up to standard for TV coverage. The bulbs were reduced from 48 to 24 (?) so only half of the bulb area was used. Reid Ferens looked afer them and the two lads who looked after them eventually set themselves up in business and took on the maintenance of them. Good lads but cannot remember their names. The improvements were made under a bloke called Ainsworth. Elland Road's lights were huge btw.

The floodlights were upgraded for the European Cup Winners Cup in 1973/4 season. They were not up to standard for TV coverage. The bulbs were reduced from 48 to 24 (?) so only half of the bulb area was used. Reid Ferens looked afer them and the two lads who looked after them eventually set themselves up in business and took on the maintenance of them.
Sunderland must've upgraded their lights in mid 60s as Hartlepool got the old bulbs for their new floodlights. I know , not a lot of people know that.
Good lads but cannot remember their names. The improvements were made under a bloke called Ainsworth. Elland Road's lights were huge btw.
Correct. The old lights were arranged in 6 rows of 8. The original floodlights 75 feet tall were donated to South Shields who used them from either 1964 or 65. Our taller replacements were 120 feet and were assembled for the 63 64 promotion season. Newcastle's floodlights were probably about 180 foot but as has been suggested Leeds were the tallest. I actually checked the internet and the Leeds lights were double the height of ours - 260 feet ! Always thought a football ground should have 4 tall pylons

Dunno but we have the tallest number of top flight championships, tallest number of runners up and tallest number of 3rd places finishes as well. Also the tallest crowd, tallest number of top flight top scorers, tallest number of world records transfers and quite a lot of other tallest numbers as well.
20 top 3 finishes to the mags 10,and a few of them were in the last 25 years, all they can get on us is the size of their crowds. Always in their shadow, my arse.

Seem to remember we gave a set of Roker Park floodlights to S.Shields when they played at Simonside perhaps 60s think we played a friendly with them for the switch on?

Which ones? The 1950s ones or the ones that replaced them c 1964
Seem to remember we gave a set of Roker Park floodlights to S.Shields when they played at Simonside perhaps 60s think we played a friendly with them for the switch on?
And I’m sure they were at Hartlepool as well.

My dad climbed up them to clean them in the 1930s, it was some sort of job creation scheme. He was one of the last to arrive and so he got that job. Later on he learnt that nobody would do it. Oh , by the way, he said they were pretty high.

Did Roker Park have the tallest floodlights in the league?
Just wondering cos I heard a mag song where they're taking the urine but when they sang that bit I sensed a bit of jealousy.
If anyone knows it, it's the 1 where the taking the piss 'Sunderland is a massive club'. You get your Hot dog sausage in a burger bun, you get a season ticket with your happy meal etc then it was, 'you got the tallest floodlights in the league'

HTL
Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back