RNLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleased you've brought that to my attention.....I and other members of my family, going back to the late 50's, have been collectors and donated to the RNLI every year since then due to a lady named Marjory Bartram, one of the shipbuilding Bartram family who lived beside us when I was young... My first trip out on a life boat when there was an open day was on the Sunderland Boat, William Myers & Sarah Jane Myers. This Launched from the old LB station besides Greenwells dry dock. The RNLI was for the saving of lives for seafarers that needed help around the coasts of GB and NI. Alas, after reading that funding was being diverted abroad I will now stop collecting . It seems that ALL charity organisation nowadays seem to feel the need to spend funding overseas, for whatever purpose or reasoning usually after the senior people making these decisions and overseeing the organisation have been paid lucrative salaries, seem to think people who do donate and collect along with the Boat crews are not the main interest anymore.. I have now had chance to look at what has been going on on various websites and will stop my donations an my little bit of association with the RNLI .. I thought the overseas aide budget covered event like as mentioned in the articles I've now read.
If you'd read the linkie you'd have seen that the British Government is using its overseas aid budget to fund this overseas work being performed by the RNLI.

Pleased you've brought that to my attention.....I and other members of my family, going back to the late 50's, have been collectors and donated to the RNLI every year since then due to a lady named Marjory Bartram, one of the shipbuilding Bartram family who lived beside us when I was young... My first trip out on a life boat when there was an open day was on the Sunderland Boat, William Myers & Sarah Jane Myers. This Launched from the old LB station besides Greenwells dry dock. The RNLI was for the saving of lives for seafarers that needed help around the coasts of GB and NI. Alas, after reading that funding was being diverted abroad I will now stop collecting . It seems that ALL charity organisation nowadays seem to feel the need to spend funding overseas, for whatever purpose or reasoning usually after the senior people making these decisions and overseeing the organisation have been paid lucrative salaries, seem to think people who do donate and collect along with the Boat crews are not the main interest anymore.. I have now had chance to look at what has been going on on various websites and will stop my donations an my little bit of association with the RNLI .. I thought the overseas aide budget covered event like as mentioned in the articles I've now read.

You most have read some faux news somewhere to come to that conclusion.
Thank you very much for your past contributions however I am genuinely baffled people have got upset over this. We are world leaders in life saving, it’s right that we spread the experience globally

So I know a lot of you top people on here donate to our cause and may have see the media in the Times and Mail today. 🤷‍♂️

Apologies for those that Haven’t said outlets, google is your friend, not my cup of tea spreading fake news....#slownewsday #annualkickrnliday

Here is the Rnli response

And here is what we done in Sunderland yesterday.....

Stay strong boys and girls 💪🏻
Where were the two lads rescued from mate. White rocks/browns hole

Genuinely heartened by this thread. The RNLI and those who volunteer and work for it are one of the things that make me proud to be British. All the more so because it is not a government-run service, and nearly 200 years after its founding, a shining example of what people can do collectively with enough heart and spirit.
Aye mate I was meaning by government not charitable donations. Should be classed as an emergency service like the ambulances.

And thereby subject to being fucked over when a government decides that austerity is the new watchword, or they choose to cut money from the service to pay for other things that will win them votes, or they contract the entire thing out to G4S who sell all the lifeboats and replace them with pedalos so they can make more profit from the deal.

It does mean they constantly have to work for donations, but it frees them from political whim and lets them focus on saving lives.

Last edited:

So because less than 2p in every pound goes to save mostly children's lives overseas - and some of that 2p is specific direct funding for overseas work that the RNLI would not get otherwise - you're going to stop collecting to help the 98%+ spent supporting about 25,000 UK call-outs every year?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I had to re-read that several times & still can't believe that someone could be so spiteful that they'd begrudge 2p of every pound donated just because not all of it is spent here.

Got a message for the Daily Nazi, and the Times, including the Tory MPs 🖕, swivel on it *****

Opened this thread with trepidation but my heart is warmed by the replies.

Nice to see a charity thread where our area of work isn't being hammered.

Also nice to see more people calling out the bullshit of the Daily Fail

And yet you've taken the side of the Daily Mail.

I've fundraised for loads of charities in my time. The earliest I can remember is the Romania Orphanage Blue Peter Appeal in 1990. I was 5 then and didn't think about funds being spent abroad. I just saw it as helping other children.
I've fundraised for Comic Relief and Children in Need because we are fortunate enough not to live in the same conditions and some of the other people who live on this planet.
I've never had meningitis, but that's never stopped me raising funds to help cure it.

I hope you may change your mind and fundraise for the RNLI again in future

Last edited:
Always donate to the RNLI, and yearly send them money instead of sending Christmas Cards and will continue to do so. It's a disgrace that this country doesn't fund them, volunteers who literally put their lives on the line to help others.

The gutter press truly are that.

As someone who worked at sea over 11 years and was involved in rescues with the RNLI around the UK coast. SAR situations around the world I’m astonished that you would begrudge anyone needing help at sea 2p that most of doesn’t come out of the RNLI fundraising. You sir are a typical I’m alright jack. I put in as much effort in trying to save a fisherman in the channel in December as when I dove into the sea to save an Indian chap off Goa. Hang your small minded head in shame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back