RIP Poledancer - Podgy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure we've all thought this at some point in the past 24hours but why the fuck couldn't we have told him all how great he was, it might never have happened,

I was surprised when he bailed out of Germany and had a chat with him then and there was a family bereavement, I spoke to him again just before Christmas, if there was any inclination I'd have poked my nose in (you know me) but sadly until Sunday I don't think any of us knew.

Last edited:

I was surprised when he bailed out of Germany and had a chat with him then and there was a family bereavement, I spoke to him again just before Christmas, if there was any inclination I'd have poked my nose in (you know me) but sadly until Sunday I don't think any of us knew.

I got an email off him, a couple of weeks before the trip.
He had been planning sorting a bus out for Dusseldorf-BMG, the day of the game.
Told me he had to cancel the bus, due to the illness (then just illness) of an aunt (IIRC, an aunt, apologies to anyone if wrong) who travelled to a few games with him. He was well pissed-off about cancelling the bus, but seemed to care a lot for this woman, and was more worried about her.

I Didn't know anything more as he didn't get to Germany, I don't think.
Now I realise why possibly he didn't turn up at all.
Sadly I haven't seen him since, which is playing on my mind now. Must be about a year or more now, since I've seen him.

Just spoke to the club informing them that we may complete Georges idea to introduce the 'Keep The Faith' banner at the next game. Thought I would pass on this message.

"On behalf of everyone at the club may I pass on our condolences to all of George's family and friends - I know he travelled everywhere following the lads" Andrew Lisgo, SAFC

For those of you who believe in fate, podgies Boy has just won the 3.55 at Southwell at 6/1,

Horatio Carter ran in the same race.

Unbelievable.

I'm sure it will be fine with the club, but I will double check. If there is anything I can help with drop me a PM or post on here and I will see what I can do.

what ya rekon then start a new thread or just on this current 1? worry about starting a new 1 cos ya never know how people react

might have been posted by now but here it is

Logon or register to see this image

Aye mate that was one but during the Bangladesh test there was a SMB Cricket Bedsheet.

Has anyone been on the Mick to get money from SMBCC for some flowers etc. Or mayby a donation to the Haway the Flags if they are going to produce a flag in memory?

Strange that a bloke I never had the pleasure of meetings death has affected me. Spoke to our lass a fair bit about it since the news and I hope he has found peace.

RIP

For such a sad thread I don't think I've laughed and smiled so much with the stories of Poledancer and his antics away with England in the cricket he sounded an absolute top bloke with a heart of gold.

When i heard at Peterborough on Sunday i was racking me brains whether i had met poledancer or not. I still didn't realise until Monday who poledancer was. I didn't know it was George. I didn't know him well but he was someone i recognise from matches and someone i have said alreet to many times over the years. To me he was familiar face you often would often see and say hello to.
A top lad as those who knew him well have said.

R.I.P fella.

A face I've seen so many times at sun'lun games since the late 80's. Never knew him, nor as poledancer, but recognised him always as a top fan.

Sad news. RIP George

Contacted him on this site about 3 years ago to make a SAFC Willington Flag for me to take to Amsterdam, bit apprehensive before I went up to pick it up as seen some of his posting but he and his Wife were really nice and I was blown away with what they made for me. I can honestly say in over 45 years of buying Sunderland stuff it’s the best value and purchase I have ever made.
So sad, thoughts go out to his Wife, Family and Friends RIP

George was the same age as me, first met him at Leyton Orient way back in the mid 70's. We were both just young'uns, only about 16 / 17 at the time.
It was after the game and we were going into the tube station to get back into central London. George and a few others were coming out as we went in, and he came over and warned us not to go in, as a load of West Ham fans were waiting on the platform. We jumped on a bus instead and joined the tube further down the line.
Met him many, many times since that day, and enjoyed a pint and a bit craic with him, at games all over the country. Gutted that he is no longer with us,
Sunderland AFC has lost one of its best.

RIP Podge mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back