RIP Leighton James

Although he was a Swansea Lad his adopted town was Burnley where his death will be met with great sadness. Came to Sunderland towards the end of his career. I remember he always had glasses on (away from playing ). Contact lenses on for the match. I used to walk his dog (taffy) on the Whitburn colliery pit site.

A read through this thread and the affection and warmth towards him is really clear.

Be nice for the club to acknowledge his contributions and his passing. Every other club he played for managed to do it last night.
I've got to say it's extremely disappointing that there is nothing on the club website or Twitter/X. LJ may not have been at the club a long time but he oozed quality. He was the kind of player who was disliked in opposition but the type you wanted in your team. I'm from the Era where we we fortunate to watch him play for us, like Frankie and they were both top class footballers. Hope the crowd remember him today. HWTL.

The days when football had characters. Happy memories of watching him at my first season at Roker Park as a young un. Wonder what the data analysts would of made of him and Frank Worthington

I've got to say it's extremely disappointing that there is nothing on the club website or Twitter/X. LJ may not have been at the club a long time but he oozed quality. He was the kind of player who was disliked in opposition but the type you wanted in your team. I'm from the Era where we we fortunate to watch him play for us, like Frankie and they were both top class footballers. Hope the crowd remember him today. HWTL.

I absolutely agree. In fact, I find it fairly disgraceful. Every other club has. They don’t miss a beat with happy birthdays to living players

No I'm sure he was here at the time of the Le Coq Sportif top with the pin stripes
Both I’m sure
Disappointing but not surprising . They don’t know what they have

Last edited:
As a Sunderland fan it’s normally us who go to watch our heroes in action.

In 1984, just after he’d played his last game for us, I was playing cricket at Philadelphia - Durham Senior League under 25s v Durham Coast League under 25s.

Leighton James watched the whole game (and didn’t leave just before the end 😜)

Back