Rightmove Voyeurism

Saw a house on the market which, based on its asking price, has risen 48% in the 6.5 years since it last sold. It’s the NE ffs. How can I politely tell the estate agent that I’ll put an offer in but it’s worth about 15/16% less than what they’ve told their client it’s worth.
We have agents that do this all the time over here. Promise the world when they tell the unsuspecting house owner what their home is worth. Lottery Pricing is what we started calling it, because even in this market you have more chance of winning the lottery than selling at some of these asking prices.
Whoever did the floor plan for this needs shooting with shit. There is just no common sense in use at all. For £850k I'd be expecting more....

It’s a wreck and it’s a million. Still, it has original everything- kitchen, fireplaces, bathroom. I hope whoever buys it renovates around them.
Demolish the house, clear the lot and build something custom.... In St. Albans... easy make a profit.
The layout on this one is weird and picture 7 is baffling

Has this been used for students or something? I cannot understand why the owners would keep it with some many smaller shitty little bedrooms. Knock the wall down between bedrooms 4 & 5. Turn bedroom 3 into a bathroom. Get rid of the wet room and make it a bedroom. Also get rid of the shit in the big bedroom upstairs as well. Turn it into a nice 4 bed 3 bath house and you're sorted.

Last edited:
We have agents that do this all the time over here. Promise the world when they tell the unsuspecting house owner what their home is worth. Lottery Pricing is what we started calling it, because even in this market you have more chance of winning the lottery than selling at some of these asking prices.

Whoever did the floor plan for this needs shooting with shit. There is just no common sense in use at all. For £850k I'd be expecting more....

Demolish the house, clear the lot and build something custom.... In St. Albans... easy make a profit.

Has this been used for students or something? I cannot understand why the owners would keep it with some many smaller shitty little bedrooms. Knock the wall down between bedrooms 4 & 5. Turn bedroom 3 into a bathroom. Get rid of the wet room and make it a bedroom. Also get rid of the shit in the big bedroom upstairs as well. Turn it into a nice 4 bed 3 bath house and you're sorted.
you'll only make a profit in st A on that at that price if you demolish and build flats. Which they'll probably give planning permission for as the Tories give it for anything these days.
My first school :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Not much to see in the advert, but could be a cracking pub/ restaurant / music venue / B&B. Short walk to a beach, good access to the A19 and you will never run out of gas.
I think you would class it as an up and coming area?

I wouldn't buy a pub these days.

Very long hours for little reward unless you have a very large, loyal, regular clientele.

Also, I'm sure The Hendon Grange was up about £170k not so long ago.
Not keen on that. It just looks big and soulless.

The building just doesn't suit being a house.
Who wants a bedroom with 4 15ft high windows and they've only got netting in front of each one on the pictures, you couldn't live like that.
£850k for a semi detached house with a dodgy layout?

They'd have been better off bull dozing it and building 2 modern detached units for £500k each.

Last edited:
Who wants a bedroom with 4 15ft high windows and they've only got netting in front of each one on the pictures, you couldn't live like that.

They'd have been better off bull dozing it and building 2 modern detached units for £500k each.

It'll cost a fortune to heat with all the high ceilings too. The mezzanine in the bedroom is weird. It's really pokey and who wants to sit up there and look out over their bed. It's very odd.

Awww no! Why's that?
JUst constant fights with the developer to fix things. Front door has never been right since we moved in March. You have to fight tooth and nail to get them to take you seriously. Every time it's a different person dealing with it so you have to give them chapter and verse. I love the house and the area, I'm just worn out having to battle them for every little thing

JUst constant fights with the developer to fix things. Front door has never been right since we moved in March. You have to fight tooth and nail to get them to take you seriously. Every time it's a different person dealing with it so you have to give them chapter and verse. I love the house and the area, I'm just worn out having to battle them for every little thing

That sounds frustrating like. Hope you get things sorted out 😘

I wouldn't buy a pub these days.

Very long hours for little reward unless you have a very large, loyal, regular clientele.

Also, I'm sure The Hendon Grange was up about £170k not so long ago.

They have built a detached house at the bottom of the garden or sold it and has been built on. I am sure the school sold for about £400k about 8-10years ago

Back