Richie Richardson

Just watching Captains Log on Sky Sports with him.

One my favourite players growing up, always looked cool as fuck batting in his sun hat against the quicks too. Took over the WIndies captaincy at a difficult time which ultimately pushed him to early retirement.

Whats the memories of other’s about him?
Taught me how to play cricket................well, he taught me how to play a forward defensive shot at a cricket clinic he did in Tynemouth about 30 years ago. He also high-fived me for taking a diving, one handed slip catch during practice

I’ve just watched a few captains logs on sky sports. Gower, Gatting, Gooch, Athers, Stewart, Ponting.
Tremendous insight into their captaincy. Really good. Hope they get some more done with Cook, Strauss, Brearley, Waugh, and some of the other greats.
The Athers meets Brearley on Sky is a great watch. I think it’s on demand.

I’ve just watched a few captains logs on sky sports. Gower, Gatting, Gooch, Athers, Stewart, Ponting.
Tremendous insight into their captaincy. Really good. Hope they get some more done with Cook, Strauss, Brearley, Waugh, and some of the other greats.

Not fussed on Waugh. Would rather have Border.

Played against him once. He was pro for South Shields. Nice bloke, and a great batsman.

He had so much time, it was incredible. Particularly when I bowled at him.

Yeah that was my thoughts too definitely can’t remember him playing for Shields was Fell first then Burnmoor iirc
That's what I remember as well.

Shields tended to go for bowlers - I remember Ken Macloud (sp?) and Victor Walcott (sp?) - both rapid, West Indian opening bowlers.
Definitely remember Billy Parker opening for a lot of years for South Shields by 99% sure Richardson never played for them
Billy Parker played for Shields since God was a lad - we used to call him the Milky Bar Kid.

Last edited:
That's what I remember as well.

Shields tended to go for bowlers - I remember Ken Macloud (sp?) and Victor Walcott (sp?) - both rapid, West Indian opening bowlers.

Billy Parker played for Shields since God was a lad - we used to call him the Milky Bar Kid.
Billy "Joe 90" had a short spell away from Shields at the Fell before returning to Wood Terrace for the greater days of his career.

Back